SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a diesel XC90, theoretically , be safer than petrol tanked one? or no evidence as such.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The D5 diesel has more torque (470) than the T6 petrol (400) or the T5 (350). That should mean more pulling power at lower revs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
159 Posts
In a bad accident involving a fire diesel burns whilst petrol explodes. So diesel could be marginally safer. it's such an unlikely event and other differences (noise - external with diesel internal with petrol, types of performance low revs totque with diesel vs high peak power with petrol, consumption) are so significant in comparison- you should just ignore the fire aspect unless you will have your car near the fire a lot in which case you should consider different car.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, was referring to crashes in particular. Any researches to show advantages in diesel fuel vs petrol? or is it merely insignificant difference?
Recently test drove both T6 and D5. I'm more in love with the T6. D5 was not bad on it's own unless when compared to T6!. Safety as well is a important aspect to choose the car for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was very undecided between T6 and D5. For me running costs are not an issue, but still went for the D5. Having tested both, I found that they felt very similar in terms of power and noise. I actually felt that the D5 has a better sound overall than the T6, which makes a strange noise at low revs (I think is the supercharger). For petrol, one may consider the T5, but I have not tested it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just didn't like the initial turbo lag of the D5. Not a huge problem since I have Xc60 D5 and E250 CDI, both have the usual initial small diesel turbolag.
The T6 not a V6 off the line, but certainly has nice reduction of lag due to the supercharger. Then, pulling of the T6 is nice!
To me the cost is to consider as well. initially $4000 AUD, then over 6 years, the average petrol $1.35 per litre vs $1.15 diesel per litre, that about another $5000 extra for owning T6. Is it worth it? I feel like I'm losing my mind just deciding between both!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
In the S90, Volvo will offer an update of the D5 engine that further reduces turbo lag. It uses a technology called power pulse :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FnM7Tae-Wc

The same engine will also be available in the XC90, but surely not before next summer. In any event, the turbo lag in current XC90 D5 is minimal and I still prefer it to the whining supercharger of the T6. Also if you need to pull something (a boat, trailer, etc.), the D5 is better because of the superior torque. Another factor to consider is insurance. Insurance for the D5 (225hp) is significantly cheaper than for the T6 (320hp).

I have had my D5 for a week now and it is truly an amazing car. Whether you get the T6 or the D5 you will be very happy with your purchase. Good luck with the choice!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Petrol/gasoline is fundamentally more volatile and easier to ignite than diesel, and so poses a greater fire risk. Nonetheless I generally prefer gasoline cars to diesel cars, though the latter are more common here in Ireland. I am interested only in the T8, not the D5, as Ireland's very high car purchase taxes (up to 111%!) make the T6 unsaleable and the D5 about the same price as the T8.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It worth to consider that petroli flash point is -23 degC, while diesel flash point is +50 degC. This means that at normal ambient temperature a petrol leakage from tre injection system can easily get fire, while the higher Diesel flash point requir a lot bigerei amo una of Energy to cause fire.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found this: Quote:

Table 5. Technology type used in car stock in the U.S. in 2009 and 2010. [8]
Technology Type (in millions) 2009 2010
Conventional automobiles 128.74 126.20
Gasoline 128.12 125.47
Diesel 0.62 0.73

Automobile Fires in the U.S.: 2006-2010 Estimates

Fire Analysis and Research Division
National Fire Protection Association
September 2012

So yes, The fire risk is massive in conventional petrol vs diesel. I could not find fatality risk of diesel vs petrol which will be very difficult to do, but looking at automobile fire only, diesel seems to be hugely safer.

And thanks Mapache, I did check the insurance quote: 30% cheaper for the D5. Pluse the car itself and the diesel price is cheaper here than petrol. Let's save some money:)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Table 5. Technology type used in car stock in the U.S. in 2009 and 2010. [8]
Technology Type (in millions) 2009 2010
Conventional automobiles 128.74 126.20
Gasoline 128.12 125.47
Diesel 0.62 0.73
(snip)
In the US diesel cars are not very common - therefore I wouldn't compare accident rates / fires with petrol versus diesel cars.

Pluse the car itself and the diesel price is cheaper here than petrol. Let's save some money:)
Diesel fuel can be 20% or more expensive in the US than gasoline (petrol / benzine). I wish it were more like Europe where it seems in most places diesel is cheaper than petrol ... maybe we'd have more diesel automobiles on the road in the US. I would have given serious consideration to an XC90 D5 ... but the T8 is what I ended up with :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
...and given that the overall "flaming wreck" rate is vanishingly-small for even major accidents in general, whether for petrol or diesel...

A little base-rate evaluation would go a long way toward making most folks conclude that the fire risk is essentially a non-issue (unless it is a late-70's Pinto, of course ;-) ).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gasoline is a class 2 flammable liquid. Diesel is a class 3 "Combustible" liquid. Way different flash points which makes diesel much safer to handle.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes - but you are ignoring the base rate of how often ignition actually occurs in a crash. Here is some objective (if somewhat dated) perspective from 2011 in the USA from the NHTSA. We have no reason to believe that these rates would have changed since then.

Of the ~2.6 million passenger car and light truck accidents that were severe enough to cause injury or death in the USA in 2011, only 3000 of those accidents involved fire in any way. That is << 1% (~0.12%)
So even if diesel were 1/10th as likely to ignite in an accident as petrol, you really don't increase your safety much at all by choosing diesel.
There are lots of places to worry about safety in an automobile - but petrol vs. diesel is really not one of them.

Interestingly enough - the vehicle class with the greatest fire risk in an accident is large trucks, whose fire rate for the same types of accidents in the same period was 0.6%.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Interestingly enough - the vehicle class with the greatest fire risk in an accident is large trucks, whose fire rate for the same types of accidents in the same period was 0.6%.
Trucks have their fuel tanks exposed plus they are made of metal; one side collision and they are done. Cars have their fuel tanks well hidden and protected plus most of the car fuel tanks, today, are made out of resin.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Trucks have their fuel tanks exposed plus they are made of metal; one side collision and they are done. Cars have their fuel tanks well hidden and protected plus most of the car fuel tanks, today, are made out of resin.
Yep - explains the 0.3% for motorcycles too...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts