SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:<p>First post on these forums. I am currently in the process of finding a project car for a SVO/WVO conversion. I am trying to get sage advice and figure out what the best vehicle for my needs will be. Basically, I am looking for a wagon to be able to haul lots of people and cargo so, naturally, Volvo came to mind. Truth be told, I have been a BIG fan of Volvo ever since I was a kid. Call me crazy, but while others dreamed about muscle cars and sleek roadsters, I was fixating on a beautiful, boxy, dream of a vehicle. Anyway, enough rambling...<p>Given the fact that I'm looking for a large wagon, my choices are limited. Aside from Volvo (740 and 240), there are a range of Mercedes, a Nissan Maxima, a Peugeot 504, and a VW Quantam. Now, everything else being equal, Volvo would be my first choice...and a 245 would be on the top of that list. I have my own reasons for not desiring the MB. The Nissan, while a reliable car with a much lauded diesel, is not quite large enough for what I have in mind. The Peugeot is going to be a nightmare to deal with parts and, from what I have heard, super slow (though very comfortable "French" ride). The VW Quantum will also be a little tricky in the parts department, as far as I can tell. So...<p>Here's the catch...and correct me if I'm wrong...please! I have heard that the VW diesel in the Volvo wagons has reliability issues (due to VW having just taken a 4 cyl. and stretching it?). Well, any reliability issues aside, any engine, even a diesel, is going to need help after so many years of use and, possibly, abuse from previous owners. What is it like to deal with repairs on these engines? How available and costly are the parts?<p>And one more question, just for good measure. What are the possibilities of swapping out the 6 cyl. VW for another engine? Have people performed this operation? What diesels out there would make for the best swap (Nissan SD3X/SD2x/LD2x, MB, other VWs)? Are the later VWs from the 740 an improvement (obvious turbo aside)? The MBs have a great reputation, of course, and the Nissan SD-series...especially the SD3x-series have gotten some praise, too (the SD3x were used in the IH Scouts. Not super HP engines, but they had good power and reliability). Obviously, it would need to have some power behind it but, more than that, for my needs, it would have to be of an older generation indirect injection type to be most suitable for the SVO/WVO conversion. I am more concerned with this conversion than with any excess amount of speed and power...as long as there is enough to feel safe on the road and do some hauling. Oh, and I am also quite fong of the 745, so if people feel that would make a better project car for my needs, I am open to hearing about it.<p>Anyway, I guess that's a good start. Thanks, in advance, for all of your help in this.<p>Cheers,<p>Trip

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Diesel question...what is a viable swap? (ventureforth)

<A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=59020" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=59020</A><p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts