SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my car in at the dealer for 24K (2Yr) Service (£315
) car drives fine ... dealer has installed all necessary software updates to my car but now is getting an error code / fault that they can't clear with VIDA and it is associated with my EGR.

New EGR on order and to be fitted tomorrow, anyone else had this done?

Car was driving okay, giving 42mpg.

My warranty runs out next year .... I like the V50, should I ditch it and get a V70?

Is the EGR valve likely to be reliable?

PS my car was one of the first V50 2.0D SE's manufactured

Modified by denzo at 11:37 AM 4-26-2006

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Diesel EGR Valve Replacement (denzo)

As per my other reply in your other thread mine will click over to 40K tomorrow over a 15 month period and apart from one EGR fault (fixed by driving straight to dealer and it beging sorted) I have no other 'significant issues' in this time. My MPGs are no improving again getting 45-52 on a long steady trunk or m'way run.

My lease has now been extended to 4 years and 120000 miles so by that time I should be able to give updates on issues!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Re: Diesel EGR Valve Replacement (tomi22)

Guys, driving style/commute along with fuel quality and oil, have big impact on EGR system and build up which is directly related to early failures.

These are definitely parts that are going to be all over the board for lifespan averages.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Diesel EGR Valve Replacement (Dzljet)

Yes, I agree, but mine 75% of its mileage did on loooong distances - ususally 1000miles for one time - and still, some problems occured. Service ruled out EGR. I will update everyone in 2 months, when I will have my first regular service

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I always fill up with SHELL Diesel Extra,

I don't thrash the car and get 41-43 mpg.

Drive 25 miles to work on motorway and 25 miles back each day

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Diesel EGR Valve Replacement (denzo)

I use Shell too, here in Lux they have only one kind of Diesel, normal. When I travel sometimes I fill up at Esso/BP/Aral/Q8/Total, few times on Czech and Polish gas stations - but nation-wide recognized, but most of the time Shell. Fuel is not a problem, because if it would, I would get signal from the engine like: blocked injectors, water in fule filter, blocked fuel filter, but MOST OF ALL, the car would leave LOTS of black smoke behind. No such thing happens.

·
Registered
404 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tomi22 »
Yes, I agree, but mine 75% of its mileage did on loooong distances - ususally 1000miles for one time - and still, some problems occured. Service ruled out EGR. I will update everyone in 2 months, when I will have my first regular service

I just wonder did they rule it out because the computer didn't say it was bad, or did they remove it, look at it, test it with vac.. and then rule it out?
My experience says no.

I have a real hard time taking my car to dealers and it's not b/c of the techs things are like this, it's the red tape they've been engulfed in...
Manufacturers and dealers have made it this way.

Provided EGR is ok..
I really think that fuel delievery should be looked at hard right now for further diagnostics.

BTW; Shell fuel is not so good.

I suggest BP, it's much, much better.

Only one diesel in Lux? That SuX!!
In Germany most every gas station has regular diesel and premium.
Many have a Super Premium Diesel as well.
My Jetta would love to have chance run on that stuff instead of the gut rot crap asz diesel it's stuck with in America. I have to put in 16 oz's of cetane boost additive with every tank to keep it happy (smoke down) or run it on B100, that ensures it will be smoke free. (But that of course costs more.)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Re: Diesel EGR Valve Replacement (Dzljet)

Fule is fuel, as long as it keeps the norms and grade, its ok

Yes, they have other type of diesel fuel in Germany, Belgium, France, and other countries, BUT, this kind of diesel is dedicated to OLDER cars - like 10 years or even older. Why? Diesel is Oil based fuel, it lubricates engine as well. This "premium" diesel is loaded with better lubricant and so on. Just to revitalize old engines a bit, clean injectors, refresh turbo a bit. New engines "like" normal fuel, which is better for them. Here in Lux, average car age is between 3-5 years. I will change mine, when it will hit 3-4 years or come close to 80.000km (50.000miles). So I dont care so much about how it will run after that time. When my guarantee expires, I have to say good-bye to the car, and get a new one.

And I forgot, "premium" diesel is supposed to have less sulfur. Is it true? I dont know. I can't test it, and I don't "eat" everything that fuel companys are telling me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.