SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a "low oil" message yesterday during a 7hr road trip. I pulled into a town on the way and put in 1 qt. of oil (Castrol GTX Synth) and the dipstick indicated that I was now in the "acceptable" range.

I was surprised by this oil consumption and wondering if it is normal because the car is new or something special to Volvos? The oil level was pretty low and I've not yet taken the car in for its first service.

The manual does state to keep an eye on the oil level in the beginning before the first scheduled service. Heh, I guess here reading the entire manual is mandatory and not just a good idea, huh? ;)

BTW, I'm very pleased to see my MPG continue to climb and now with more oil (and synthetic) in there now, I wonder how much higher it'll go... lol

And, just to confirm, the car WILL tell me when the first service needs to be performed, correct?

·
Registered
458 Posts
It should remind you, assuming the computer was reset correctly.

It's one year/7500 miles.

I noticed very early oil consumption. None since, and not as much as yours was.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I got a "low oil" message yesterday during a 7hr road trip. I pulled into a town on the way and put in 1 qt. of oil (Castrol GTX Synth) and the dipstick indicated that I was now in the "acceptable" range.
I just had the exact same experience with my 2010 V70 at 7K miles, so maybe this is not uncommon with the 3.2 engine. I subsequently had the dealer check for any sign of oil leakage or consumption during the 7.5K service visit and there wasn't any evidence of a problem. I will be monitoring the oil level more frequently, if only for peace of mind.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oil consumption, especially early onset, during engine break in is somewhat normal.
Until the rings and valves "seat" there could be some blow-by oil consumption, which is to be expected on some engines.
I plan on executing a tried and tested engine break in process when I get my XC60 which quickly seats the rings and
stretches the connecting rods.

However, I think that weekly oil checks are essential during the first 6K miles.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I haven't noticed any oil consumption (T6 engine) after about 10 months. Oil level always is in normal range when I check it, although that reminds me that I should check it a little more regularly...

How frequently do you all check your oil in the XC60?

·
Registered
806 Posts

I was surprised by this oil consumption and wondering if it is normal because the car is new or something special to Volvos? The oil level was pretty low and I've not yet taken the car in for its first service.

The manual does state to keep an eye on the oil level in the beginning before the first scheduled service. Heh, I guess here reading the entire manual is mandatory and not just a good idea, huh? ;)

BTW, I'm very pleased to see my MPG continue to climb and now with more oil (and synthetic) in there now, I wonder how much higher it'll go... lol

And, just to confirm, the car WILL tell me when the first service needs to be performed, correct?
Keep an eye on it. If it continues to consume oil, bring it back to your Volvo Retailer to be checked.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just checked my oil an my dipstick makings to not match what is shown in the manual. There are two kinks roughly 2" apart and ahead of the lower I see XXXXXXX markings. These appear to be the only markings. Currently my oil level is roughly in the center of the X's. Does anyone know how what indicates MIN and MAX as the manual says there should be lines.?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wanted to revive this old thread to see if any MY12 XC60 owners with the T6 are noticing oil consumption that they consider excessive.

My car has 22500 miles on it. Service was performed in early November, 2013 (it's now late December, 2013 -- about 60 days ago) and the car today needed about a 1/2 quart of 5W30 to get the dipstick level to the top of the hatched area. The car had been sitting overnight.

What has your experience been?

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I wanted to revive this old thread to see if any MY12 XC60 owners with the T6 are noticing oil consumption that they consider excessive.

My car has 22500 miles on it. Service was performed in early November, 2013 (it's now late December, 2013 -- about 60 days ago) and the car today needed about a 1/2 quart of 5W30 to get the dipstick level to the top of the hatched area. The car had been sitting overnight.

What has your experience been?
The question that needs asked is whether the dealer actually filled the crankcase or simply put in the owner's manual recommended 7.2 quarts. There is a DIY thread somewhere in the forum that states that it takes approx. 7.8 quarts to fill a T6. I recently recon'd a coworkers XC60RD and it was approx. 3/4 low after 4-5K miles from last service. She had it in for the 30K today so I will check it tomorrow and see if the dealer actually filled it this time...........so I have a better idea whether it is using oil or was simply underfilled.

With regard to the 3.2, it is well documented that this engine uses oil. There were threads mentioning that dealers will overfill the crankcase to avoid dealing with customers complaining about low oil lights.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I just checked my oil an my dipstick makings to not match what is shown in the manual. There are two kinks roughly 2" apart and ahead of the lower I see XXXXXXX markings. These appear to be the only markings. Currently my oil level is roughly in the center of the X's. Does anyone know how what indicates MIN and MAX as the manual says there should be lines.?
I have the same dip stick on my 2014 XC60 RD. If you are within the Xs you are OK just don't go below or above the X markings. Mine is relatively new so I check it about bi-weekly. My 997tt used up oil early on too during break in period. The 997tt has an electronic dip stick low level indicator but I still keep a couple quarts of Mobile in the trunk just in case it's needed;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
The question that needs asked is whether the dealer actually filled the crankcase or simply put in the owner's manual recommended 7.2 quarts. There is a DIY thread somewhere in the forum that states that it takes approx. 7.8 quarts to fill a T6. I recently recon'd a coworkers XC60RD and it was approx. 3/4 low after 4-5K miles from last service. She had it in for the 30K today so I will check it tomorrow and see if the dealer actually filled it this time...........so I have a better idea whether it is using oil or was simply underfilled.

With regard to the 3.2, it is well documented that this engine uses oil. There were threads mentioning that dealers will overfill the crankcase to avoid dealing with customers complaining about low oil lights.
It's a good question. After all, if you check your tire pressure after a service with an accurate gauge, dollars to donuts the pressure won't be set to the factory specs as listed on the door jamb. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't fill the crankcase to factory spec either.

Still, I think -- though I didn't measure it -- that the T6 was using a little more oil than I'd like before the last service.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
It's a good question. After all, if you check your tire pressure after a service with an accurate gauge, dollars to donuts the pressure won't be set to the factory specs as listed on the door jamb. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't fill the crankcase to factory spec either.
I wouldn't say that they weren't filling to factory spec; just blindly accepting that the owner's manual spec will result in a complete fill as measured by the dipstick. I have similar issues with the RAV4 as the owner's manual calls for 6.5 quarts; but 6 quarts will fill it to the top line (which is where it was when delivered new from factory).

Still, I think -- though I didn't measure it -- that the T6 was using a little more oil than I'd like before the last service.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if a turbo uses oil (my S60R did); though it shouldn't "guzzle" it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.