SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently, mine has never worked since I bought the car (about 5 years now). :facepalm:

I lent it to the GF while her car was in the shop and she complained about how heavy the steering was. Started looking into it and, lo and behold, there's this little relay looking thing that controls the variable assist steering; sits under the dash, above the accelerator pedal. Swapped it out with the one from the parts car and WOW, what a difference. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the panel under the dash and disconnect this:

It's near inside firewall, above the accelerator pedal. If you don't notice any change in steering effort, then congratulations, you need a new one. :partywave:

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Yes.

Super hard steering at low speed or parked is usually a sign either the solenoid failed, the relay failed, or the u joint in the steering shaft is binding.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Is the speed sensitive steering affected by a bad clock spring at all?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Is the speed sensitive steering affected by a bad clock spring at all?
No, it's not and a sort of a "duh" to this thread. Yes, we all know (or should know) because 90% have failed by now!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it's not and a sort of a "duh" to this thread. Yes, we all know (or should know) because 90% have failed by now!
The only way you would know is if it was working on your car and went out (or if you read the owner's manual). Like you said, it's probably failed on most Rs still on the road, so if someone bought a used R, they would probably just assume it had heavy steering and not realize something is not working. Unlike with just about every other system on the car, there's no idiot light or warning that the system is not operational.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Mine works fine- the only time I noticed really heavy steering is when the PS cooler lines sprung a leak and I lost power steering.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would it be easier to test speed sensitive steering with 4c buttons? In comfort steering is very lazy but in advanced steering is very sharp.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
I don't believe that the 4C buttons have any input on the steering adjustment. It just gets heavier as the speed increases:

Quick, precise steering response is vital for high-performance cars. The Volvo S60 R is equipped with a power-assisted steering gear, which is controlled by the speed of the car. Programmed to give maximum servo assistance during parking manuvers, the system gradually increases steering force as speed builds. The servo assistance function is minimal at top speed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I believe 4c does affect the steering feel. At least on my 06 it seems to. Advanced definitely makes it 'heavier' at a lower speed than comfort.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts