SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Did you buy or lease your XC90?

• Bought it!

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Leased it!

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Neither, but I want to see the results...

Votes: 2 6.1%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a followup to the last thread where folks talked about how long they planned on keeping their XC60s, a lot of folks said they would until their leases ran out, while others bought outright. Did you buy or lease your XC60, and why?

(also, I wrote XC90 in the poll instead of 60...I meant 60 :D)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been waiting on this refreshed XC90 for over 3 years. I was in the market back then and have cycled through a Mazda, Honda and Hyundai waiting. So after waiting all this time I decided to purchase and make it permanent and get out of the lease cycle. I found a CPO with an extended warranty and my state lemon law includes used cars so that cemented my decision to buy.

Edit: Funny enough, while I was waiting on my XC90 I also purchased an XC60. Call it a halo effect.

·
Registered
84 Posts
On our second XC60. Both purchases. Own vs. rent mentality, plus we can sell anytime with no contract to terminate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Bought in 8 months or so I have out just under 15000 miles on mine. Which is kind of low for me. I avg about 25000 miles a year.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
We leased it because I'd hate to have buyers remorse about not waiting for the new model in 2018 (my guess). We may end up buying it because my wife really loves it and she's not a fan of the S90 which the next XC60 may favor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We leased. It's our first European car and we were a little gun shy.
If everything goes well I may keep one of the last 6-cylinder Volvos for a while.

...Oh, this is the XC-60 thread.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Bought a CPO. Put 20k miles on it in six-ish months so far.

Leases don't make sense for me unless I pay a lot for the lease due to mileage...

·
Registered
108 Posts
In the past I'd kept my vehicles for 150,000+ miles. I was seriously attached to my cars.

Now I'm fortunate enough to not have to keep them for 10 years. I lease for three reasons:

1) To prevent me from turning over cars too quickly. The shortest time I've owned a car is one day.

2) I want the latest tech, style, and safety. Leasing makes that much more affordable.

3) I've been burnt on repairs for European cars. Leasing let's me always have warranty coverage. Leasing also provides minimal maintenance and avoids $1,400 tire changes.

I drive 12k miles a year. Since my spouse drives over 15k, that car was purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,802 Posts
Our intention from the beginning was to keep our XC60 for quite a while. It was also my intention to modify it, which is frowned upon on a lease.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Purchased, will be paid off in the springtime. Ready to hit 60k and still drives like brand new, no issues other than needing front brake rotors 4x in less than 50k miles.... :(

Plan on keeping her for at least 100k which is about the time I am itching for something new. Hopefully the new XC60 will be out then and be as impressive as the new XC90!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I purchased my XC used with 12K or 13K... can't remember (has 46K now). I can't lease because I drive too much. I put 125K on my previous vehicle in just 4 years. Since I got my XC, I've moved closer to where I work and started carpooling so the mileage on the XC shouldn't climb quite as quickly.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
As a followup to the last thread where folks talked about how long they planned on keeping their XC60s, a lot of folks said they would until their leases ran out, while others bought outright. Did you buy or lease your XC60, and why?

(also, I wrote XC90 in the poll instead of 60...I meant 60 :D)
Why are you polling for this? Are you doing research, are you considering lease vs. buy on one of these?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Bought. Always pay cash for cars unless it's 0% financing and I can use the cash to earn a small amount of interest, then pay it off. And everytime I do the math on lease "specials" vs buying and selling it myself, for our low mileage use the purchase works out better, even if just for 39 months. Also don't like to be "trapped" in a lease in case needs change. Typically keep vehicles 3.5-4.5 years depending on how much we like it and what the warranty is.

·
Registered
390 Posts
In the past I'd kept my vehicles for 150,000+ miles. I was seriously attached to my cars.

Now I'm fortunate enough to not have to keep them for 10 years. I lease for three reasons:

1) To prevent me from turning over cars too quickly. The shortest time I've owned a car is one day.

2) I want the latest tech, style, and safety. Leasing makes that much more affordable.

3) I've been burnt on repairs for European cars. Leasing let's me always have warranty coverage. Leasing also provides minimal maintenance and avoids $1,400 tire changes.

I drive 12k miles a year. Since my spouse drives over 15k, that car was purchased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The one-day ownership has to be a great story.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The presumed rise in interest rates could make things more complicated; but leasing sure makes driving a newer $45-50k vehicle 'easier'. We bought our XC60 and sold it to the dealer when we leased the RDX. The XC60 was worth about $25k and I didn't want that money tied up in a vehicle when the interest rate was ~1%...I could easily make 2-3x that in a very conservative investment. So, I let Acura have their money $550 at a time ;) . As it turns out, we 'bought' the Acura at lease-end since we would have been dinged for the mileage(not too bad) and the body 'customization' performed by DW over the three years. ONLY IF we had stayed with Acura would that 'penalty' have disappeared. In essence, I 'made' about $2000 by buying the RDX and immediately trading it in. The key is being able to keep the vehicle in great condition and adhering to the mileage limits...THAT gives you some options at lease-end. One the other hand, our lease could have been 'bought out' at any time during the 3 years with virtually no financial hit...had we needed to do that for any reason.

A tiny downside to leasing in Austin, TX is the 'ad valorem' or property tax charged on vehicles leased in the city limits. It amounted to ~$450 total for the three years...no such tax would be paid on a purchased vehicle. Worth considering when balancing leasing vs buying in Austin.

Leasing isn't the horrible idea it was in the dark ages of 'open-end' leases(Don't ask me how I know...leased an Audi in the mid-80s right about the time Sixty Minutes ran their expose' on the 'unintended acceleration' problems with the Audi :( )

Sure makes it easier to drive a $50k vehicle and pay only for the "part you use"...better known as renting. Yo pays yo money and yo takes yo chances :)

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Bought an exec demo... Wife loved the S and an XC60 is more or less a bigger S so we bought it. She loves it and intends on keeping it until it dies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts