SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this really the case? I turned in a leased 2013 xc60 the other day and leased which will be my second xc70, I also own a 1998 which I think was the first year of production 1998 and now I have the final year of production, 2016.
When I was going over the details of the car I was surprised, no shocked to learn that the lens that I saw in the front of the 2016 were no longer fog lights like my 98, that they were just lens.....I looked at the young man at the dealership and said your kidding right!

Lo and behold in my opinion just the stupidest thing I have ever seen, I mean really why the hell not put in two small fog lights??? I always thought ion the 98 they were a nice thing to have and kind of looked forward to having them again after finding out the xc60 did not have them but did have this little area where they probably should have gone!

So I am wondering if there is anyway to put in real fog lights in this cosmetic area and utilize the blank switch I see n the lower right panel where the lighting switches currently are. Have done a few searches but am not seeing anything anywhere. Perhaps I am there only one who cares I kind of doubt it!

The other things I would have liked and miss from the xc60 are the folding side mirrors and my active bending xeon lights which UI was told did not come in this model, I'll live without those, they were nice and bright though....maybe there is a way to bump up the front headlights without too much trouble???Would love some thoughts here as I am new to this forum.....

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
They were there in early XC60s but Electric Power Steering went in that area in 2012.
Your guess is as good as mine as to why they stopped placing them there!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
They weren't DRLs? I know they eliminated the driving lights on the XC70s in favor of putting in DRLs instead. But I agree, that is a pretty lame thing to do, considering they probably have the wiring in there and just omitted the switch and the lights.

·
Registered
65 Posts
They are LED driving lights now and look much better than the pre 2014 setup. Still, I wish they didn't deactivate when the headlights come on. I'm surprised someone here hasn't come up with a software flash or hack to keep them on all the time.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
They are actually LED DRLs, not "driving lights", or else they'd be functional when the headlights were on. I agree the color is way more pleasant with the current setup, to make them DRLs is ridiculous, imho.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Must be LED DRL... Can not be empty! Send a pic... You must have an "auto" switch located on the LH light panel. You said the RHand panel???

What country are you from? Perhaps its a 'country restriction'?

[2011 XC70 D5 Polestar]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your all right they are functional, I noticed they were on the other day on the highway. I got a picture of them when I pulled over but they went out a few minutes later. I see no way to control when they are on, which kinds sucks, but at least they work!
I have a picture but no idea how to post it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea sorry I have no such button. this forum may restrict people from uploading. It certainly isn't very user friendly!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Uploading pictures on here is a nightmare. Time to modernize this place, actually. You need to upload the photo to an online photo-sharing website (like Flickr or others), then share the link to the picture from there via the Insert Image icon in this reply window's menu. And even that process isn't seamless.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Volvo had had a tendency to remove features from model to model. I like the running-fog lamps on my '13 XC70. I use them all the time to help spot dear running from the side of the road. Do not understand why Volvo chose to have them go off when the high beams are on. But then I do not know why Volvo left off the temp and oil gauge either!. I also find it laborious to attach photos on this site. Come on folks, we are in a graphic age and it should be easy to upload photos from our files - like on Face Book.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts

Click on the + in the lower LH corner for pics. Its a Tapatalk app screenshot...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I assumed so, but the temp gauge for the engine is still there, so I did not really understand what he meant?

Using fog lights together with low beam under normal conditions (no fog) is misunderstood safety. Fog lights may shorten the effect of your low beam with up to 20 meters. Focus of your eye will be drawn much closer to the front of the car and spotting a deer and even make your car stop in time will just be more difficult. If you drive in 80 km/h and a deer is running out in the road 20 meters in front of your car, you have 1 second to stop your car. So it makes sense for me that Volvo, who is focused on road safety, has switched to LED DRLs instead. In my country around 6500 deers (a great mix of elk (moose), deers, reindeers etc) are killed annually by road traffic (trains hit another 2500 annually) and it is definitely not allowed to drive with fog light and low beam at the same time during night. I suppose if fog lights would have shown a positive effect this rule would have been removed. Numbers of elks killed in the homeland of Volvo is about the same.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
On the newer cars with the digital display, you have to select the right "theme" to get the temp gauge to display (I think). I have the old cluster in mine, so I only know this from loaner cars I've driven.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If lowbeam ar so weak that you need the dorklights aka fogligts on, then time to upgrade the lowbeam with some Philips Xtreme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited for cars with haolgen and the xenon version of same lightbulb for cars with xenon. Putting in higher wattage bulbs/H9 mod is just as a bad idea as put HID/xenon in cars that has halogen from factory compared to use the correct wattage bulbs but tuned and legal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts