SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the navigation last night and manually typed in the destination as the voice recognition in general in the xc90 is horrid. It seems like voice input hasn't improved with the update, but has the navigation systems accuracy improved? My guidance last night kept repeating a previous street that I already had made my turn on as the next turn, and stating to turn a direction verbally when the map is showing the opposite direction. Has this been rectified? I've scheduled an update with the dealer for Tuesday.

·
Registered
148 Posts
After getting the November update on Monday, I noticed a checkbox on the maps that selects automatic updates. Is that new? And if so does it work now?

The check box can be found by digging into software updates, then maps, then selecting a specific region.

I haven't tried the navigation to see if it's better.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The navigation in Volvo has been always the weakest point (in my old V70, present XC70 etc.). I was hoping that in my new XC90 that is coming next month , the navigation will be finally at least in pair with any present mobile navigation app for few $$. After trying new XC90 few times, I am slightly losing the hope . For example searching POI (point of interest), you cannot define where you want to select it (around you, on the route, in certain location etc.), there is no search (like for Ikea, Kaufland etc.), simply essential features missing. I really wonder why Volvo is unable to put a normal navigation system in the car, being at least as good as any other, if not simply better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So far with my limited testing, I prefer Apple Maps via CarPlay better than the native Sensus Nav. Just getting or entering a simple destination took too long for me in the Sensus Nav. Siri has a better response and search as well. Just to make sure...there is no way to maximize the Apple Maps screen right? Just stays in the CarPlay pane?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It improved navigation is three (relatively minor) ways:

1) An optional feature for better Internet-based real-time traffic data.

2) Somewhat more visually descriptive maps.

3) I believe they have improved the glitch where it was off on destination by several hundred feet which often caused it to believe you hadn't quite arrived (though you were close enough that it already announced you had) and therefore it would attempt to re-navigate you the next time you used the car.

As far as I can tell there is no fundamental improvement to navigating logic, visually it's still extremely similar, the interface is identical and more importantly there is no discernible improvement to voice control of navigation which means its still not really usable that way. I have not gone through the formal procedure of testing the routing against some of the exact same conditions I felt it did poorly in previously. In any event, not a game changer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Update is OK and so is CarPlay but I've had 2 random reboots of the sensus system since the November update! Guess we'll wait for the spring update now :/

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Wasn't the November update supposed to make over-the-air updates possible? Hopefully there won't be more major, seasonal updates but individual features will be updated on the fly. Um, you know, hopefully.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wasn't the November update supposed to make over-the-air updates possible? Hopefully there won't be more major, seasonal updates but individual features will be updated on the fly. Um, you know, hopefully.
Someone from Volvo posted on a previous topic here that they have no intention of allowing Sensus software updates OTA -- that it will only be for the apps.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
To use sensus nav, enter destination in VOC and send to car. Super easy and painless.

·
Registered
348 Posts
To use sensus nav, enter destination in VOC and send to car. Super easy and painless.
Not so fast....I've tried entering the destination in VOC and it works only about 50% of the time...i.e. the instruction does not make it to the car.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not so fast....I've tried entering the destination in VOC and it works only about 50% of the time...i.e. the instruction does not make it to the car.
OK. I've never tried it so I am interested in what there is about sending the destination from VOC that is better than entering the destination directly.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I prefer using the app for ease of entering the address and especially if searching for an address. I'm used to the smart search with google maps where eg I stay typing s-t-a-r and it suggests Starbucks or if I start typing a street name it will begin suggesting likely choices. Entering addresses in sensus, even using the search function, I have to basically enter every bit of info in the correct, unconventional for the US order (country-city-state-street name-number rather than number,name,city) and even then it's unreliable. Through the app I have much better luck "searching" for the address (even if I know it) then sending to the car. It's faster and more reliable and sends to the car 100% of the time for me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I prefer using the app for ease of entering the address and especially if searching for an address. I'm used to the smart search with google maps where eg I stay typing s-t-a-r and it suggests Starbucks or if I start typing a street name it will begin suggesting likely choices. Entering addresses in sensus, even using the search function, I have to basically enter every bit of info in the correct, unconventional for the US order (country-city-state-street name-number rather than number,name,city) and even then it's unreliable. Through the app I have much better luck "searching" for the address (even if I know it) then sending to the car. It's faster and more reliable and sends to the car 100% of the time for me.
Thanks. There is no doubt that the street address entry order is not intuitive and creates confusion. Volvo has to start acting like major player in the US.

My solution is not to use the Volvo Nav and stick with Waze on my Android cell phone.

When Android auto comes out I suppose it will benefit from the ingenious Google traffic and hopefully Waze. Is there any official release date for Android Auto on Volvo in the US?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts