SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have bitten off too much for my first big R project. I did a suspension refresh including 4C Struts, sways, LCA's, Ball Joints, Eibachs, Spring Seats, and End Links. I am getting some clunks from the front end. Even over pretty smooth pavement.

I thought I had narrowed it down to one of the new end links. When I stood over the front left fender and bounced it, I could hear a clunk. I tightened the nuts again and it seemed quiet for a day.

Now I hear it worse than ever and I can feel it a bit under my feet. I was trying to check the bolts that hold down the sway bar bushings and I noticed my ball joints don't seem fully seated. Here are pics.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think you answered your own question. Put some loctite on the endlink nuts and tighten them again. The ball joints don't look bad enough to make that noise.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
It's either your endlinks as suggested above, or you jacked up positioning the spring on the strut. Check the endlink and if that doesn't make all of your worries melt away then check to see if your spring is rubbing at all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
It may be splitting hair, but smooth out the small section where the lip was damaged in the first picture to help it seat flush.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Could also be the top strut nuts are loose. I apparently did not tighten mine done enough and were getting some clunks. Once I tightened them up the clunk went away.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I got noise from an endlink when I did my springs, so that is possible. I also had the issue of BmCR, but the noise was only over bumps. Just recheck torques on everything and loctite to be sure if you wish.

In the list of things you replaced did you also do the strutbearing/mounting plate? Its the one with the 3 posts on it hat poke up therought the fender into the engine compartment. The top of the spring seat mounts into it. It is not listed above in the OP. Some have replaced all the parts but not those and then they don't fit with all the new parts resulting in movement and funny noises.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To TJM: I did not replace the strut/bearing mounting plate. I used new HD spring seats, they felt like they fit. But.... I think I may have found my answer. I check to see if the 22mm at the top of the strut tower was tight. On the driver side it was. On the passenger side I could easily turn it 180 degrees either way. I tried to tighten in place with a 8mm hex to hold the bolt. But that is solid. So I am assuming that I didn't get the "star" nut on tight enough and I will have to remove the strut, compress the spring and reseat the spring seats. Does that sound right? I will get under the car tomorrow and check out the end links too.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
To TJM: I did not replace the strut/bearing mounting plate. I used new HD spring seats, they felt like they fit. But.... I think I may have found my answer. I check to see if the 22mm at the top of the strut tower was tight. On the driver side it was. On the passenger side I could easily turn it 180 degrees either way. I tried to tighten in place with a 8mm hex to hold the bolt. But that is solid. So I am assuming that I didn't get the "star" nut on tight enough and I will have to remove the strut, compress the spring and reseat the spring seats. Does that sound right? I will get under the car tomorrow and check out the end links too.
Yup. So do I win a cookie? I called it on the third post.....

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That is the direction I would go. and somebody get that man ^ a cookie.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is the direction I would go. and somebody get that man ^ a cookie.
Sorry RMorse... I practice safe browsing. My cookies are disabled. ;)

Thanks Swedespeeders! I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
:(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am finally "clunk free". It wasn't pretty though.

I tried to tighten the remove the top not on the strut in place to get to the cross nut below. I couldn't do it. I removed the strut, compressed it, and tried again. It wouldn't budge. I didn't have an air hammer so I kept at it and I ended up f'ing the torx on top. Here is where is get's good... It is a Saturday morning and I took the compressed strut to my local Volvo dealer (Superior Volvo in Kansas City) to see if they would hit the nut with their air hammer. The service guy saw the cable on the strut and said, "Oh, this is off an 'R', right? Let me go see what I can do. I heard three air hammer shots: Off, tighten one, tighten two. He came back and handed me the strut all tightened down.

I remounted the strut and thought all would be good. Took it out and it had the same popcorn like clunking over minimal bumps. So I lifted the car again and took off all four endlinks. Jacked each wheel one at a time to make sure there was no tension on the endlink bolts. I added Loctite to each and torqued 'em down. Ta da! Good to go.

Thanks to everyone for comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I am finally "clunk free". It wasn't pretty though.

I tried to tighten the remove the top not on the strut in place to get to the cross nut below. I couldn't do it. I removed the strut, compressed it, and tried again. It wouldn't budge. I didn't have an air hammer so I kept at it and I ended up f'ing the torx on top. Here is where is get's good... It is a Saturday morning and I took the compressed strut to my local Volvo dealer (Superior Volvo in Kansas City) to see if they would hit the nut with their air hammer. The service guy saw the cable on the strut and said, "Oh, this is off an 'R', right? Let me go see what I can do. I heard three air hammer shots: Off, tighten one, tighten two. He came back and handed me the strut all tightened down.

I remounted the strut and thought all would be good. Took it out and it had the same popcorn like clunking over minimal bumps. So I lifted the car again and took off all four endlinks. Jacked each wheel one at a time to make sure there was no tension on the endlink bolts. I added Loctite to each and torqued 'em down. Ta da! Good to go.

Thanks to everyone for comments and suggestions.
Sweet!

Word of advice - I always use an air hammer to get them off, but NEVER to put it back on! You can jack up your shock that way if you're not careful...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts