SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for years I had no idea there was a manual lumbar support adjustment in my car. Seems ridiculous in retrospect, but whatever, I just missed it. A recent discussion in the v60 forum clued me in, and so today I excitedly adjusted it as soon as I got in the car. Everyone has always raved about volvo seats, and I agreed EXCEPT for the lack of lumbar support.

So I started cranking the knob, and low and behold there it was! Sweet, sweet lumbar support. So I'm driving along happily with my son in the back headed to do some errands a couple hours later, when a sudden"POP!!!" Sounds from the center of the car! He starts crying (6mos old), an I am taken by surprise, but not super worried. It sounded like a chip bag explosion, and was clearly not a blow out or some sort of immediate crucial failure. Then it occurred to me, had I gotten overzealous and cranked the lumbar knob too far?! Is it an Inflatable bag or something. Have I just RUINED the very gift I was so excited to have found.

Any insight is appreciated though I'm 90% sure I've gotten to the bottom of this already :-///

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah, so its a for sure rather than a maybe.

Is this a "dealer replaces the whole seatback" thing? Or is there a less expensive (or DIY) fix? I can't be the only one who's done this. Well, I suppose since I've enjoyed the car for nearly three years with no lumbar support, I'll just forget the 2 hrs or so I enjoyed it since this is far from a priority.

Bummer though...

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well, I think the more important fact is you didn't mention you noticed a change in your lumbar support.

Did you actually notices a change in lumbar support?

I've noticed on my car that even though the lumbar support is all the way down (electric on newer cars) it still gives ample, maybe too much, lumbar.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry assumed that was a given. Yeah lumbar supprt gone. Back to having a hollow between my lower back and seat :-(

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Common problem in Volvos since the 80's. It's a strap across the back of the foam, with plastic hooks in the ends. Tightening it just tightens the strap and then you sit in it and it breaks the plastic.

Not too hard to fix on older cars, I haven't played too much with the seat skin on a P2. Except the rear seats. Those are not bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts