SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V70R M66, Titanium/Atacama
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the CV joint boots on my front right axle. During which the car (2006 V70R M66) was tipped up in the garage while I waited on parts.

Car was tipped up to one side so that fluid wouldn't spill out with the axle out. I'm quite sure it didn't leak while it was up and waiting, but here's hoping...

I moved the car out of the garage today as it was sitting there for a couple days since the work was done (hadn't rolled yet), and found a small pool of golden fluid on the garage floor. :facepalm: Rolled it back in and jacked it up, there's definitely fluid leaking where the axle passes into the transmission (or angle gear?). Anyone know what I'm in for now? Did I likely damage a seal? What's it take to replaced that?

Took some photos under the car. Then cleaned it up and new photos. Will drive it into work tomorrow and see what it's like when I get home. Maybe the seals just need to seat properly with some motion after having an axle out and in... maybe?

Anyway, pics. 3 before, 3 after wiping off. Sorry about the orientation flipping around, imgbox likes to shake it up for some reason that I haven't figured out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Check the angle gear level and see if it continues. You may have knick that outer seal. At least it wasn't the inner seal like it was on mine when I did the same service!! That is a bit of a bear.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It was probably worn out and then by pulling the axle out it got damaged just enough to leak. Take it from me, be very careful when removing and installing an axle seal. I just replaced the transmission side outer axle seal and damaged the bearing and now I have to drop the the f-ing tranny to replace the bearing =/. Get a seal puller and pull it out properly. They're very tight in there. When installing the new seal, it may be possible to seat it too far back (this happened to me on the transmission side.) When I tried to pull it out that's when I damaged the bearing. You also want to avoid gouging the surface that the seal is on also, don't pry with a screwdriver if you can help it. Take pictures of how the old seal sits and install it in the exact same way.
Also identifying these seals can be a pain, a good way is to measure them obviously or another trick is to count the rectangular cutouts on the face of the seal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the feedback so far!

I took a look under the car this morning before the drive to work, and everything was still nice and clean from the night before. But after the drive in (~25min) I checked in the parking lot and there was a trail of fluid on the bevel gear housing. Fortunately it seems to be a very slow leak, only a dot on the parking lot after the day of work.

These are just reach under the car with my phone shots, no lifting required.
Before drive:

After drive:

So I've only had a bit of time to do some digging in Vida, but I've found the axle seal part number. I'm going to order both sides because as has been said, they are likely worn. I plan to take the left axle out for boot replacements soon as well, so I should change the seal while I'm there.

Right side shaft seal PN: 9143885
Vida Path: Parts > 4 Power Transmission > 43 Transmission > Angle Gear
Highlighting is a bit misleading on this one, sorry. It's item 2.

Left side shaft seal PN: 6843481
Vida Path: Parts > 4 Power Transmission > 43 Transmission > Gearbox, manual related parts

Now, to removal and installation.
I've found instructions for the right side where I have my leak at the bevel gear, but no luck finding the left side yet. Anyone know?
I haven't done a good search yet for what anyone else has done on the right side, but I'll just put the question out there. What have people used instead of the special seating tool to install the new seal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
If you can do the passenger side, you can do the driver's side. It's self explanatory. If there's anything specific youre not sure about I can help. And you could use your old seal to install the new one. Tap on the old seal lightly to drive the new seal in. Can be tricky to get it started.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Continued to monitor, and it appears to have stopped leaking. I figure this can be attributed to either the seal settling in, or the fluid level leaking down to a point below the seal. Either way, still gonna replace em.

So I do have a question now.

New seals came in last Friday, and the left side one is considerably larger in diameter than I expected. Did I get the right part for the left axle seal?

Here's what I received:

For the right axle, I know the seal is against the area indicated:

But for the left seal, is it against surface A, or B? Is this a much larger diameter compared to the right side seal surface?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The 6843481 is what I bought it is the correct seal for drivers front axle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Finally getting to replacing the right seal, it has actually stopped leaking but I'm not sure if that's because it settled in or the level got down so low it was below the seal. That's neither here nor there at this point.

I pulled the axle this time without tipping the car up on one side at all, it's just level on a lift. Few moments after I pulled the axle, fluid started running out. I quickly plugged it, but now I'm wondering if I've let transmission fluid flood into the bevel gear, or was it just fluid from the bevel gear? Fluid coming out was a tan brown in colour.

I have new fluids for the whole drivetrain, so I'll be draining and filling anyway.

I'm really wondering if i actually have fluid mixing, or if there's any compatibility issues between the transmission and bevel gear fluids I should be concerned with? The new fluids are both a very light yellow in colour, only the slightest difference in the shade of yellow between them. Nothing like what came out.

Oh, and when I do the left seal (short axle, drivers side) do I need to tip up the car to prevent transmission fluid draining out? Or do I need to do it with the transmission drained? Any tips?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
First of all which axle are you talking about? And you need to drain the transmission before pulling axles man. The axle and the seal together hold the fluid in. You don't need to tip the car any way just jack it up level and drain the transmission and then pull axles, replace seals, insert axles and then refill oil.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was referring to the front right axle. You don't have to drain the transmission fluid to pull the right side. I've done it twice before. Jack the right side of the car a couple inches higher than the left and it's enough to tip the transmission fluid away. Regardless, I ended up draining the transmission fluid when I did the left front axle right after.

I realized it was a silly question after the fact anyway about the transmission fluid and angle gear fluid mixing. I looked down the passage the right axle passes through and it's a straight shot to the transmission, there's no possibility for fluids mixing that I was concerned about.

I didn't get photos of everything along the way, but here are a few:

Front right axle, exploded view on the work bench once I cleaned all the grease off.

Front right axle, reassembled.

Front right axle, passage into the transmission through the angle gear assembly. That's transmission fluid leaking out. Seal has already been removed here.

Front right axle seals. New on the left, old on the right. There's a small retaining spring that runs around the inside to hold seal against the shaft, mine had broken apart - that's the wire looking bits.

Front LEFT axle seals (switching sides now). New on left, old on right. Same deal with the retaining spring on the inside. The old seal is so mangled because it was difficult to pull out.

Front left, old axle seal in place.

Front left, new axle seal in place. Installed by using the old seal on top to knock it in. They have a metal internal frame which is older molded with rubber, so don't expect the seal to just slip in there, it takes some doing.

Nothing leaking that I've found so far! Did all of this weeks ago, just now getting to posting. Thanks everyone for guidance, and for reading.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ohh okay yeah gotcha.

Nice work. Good info for others who haven't done it too.

Just did all these seals too. They are a little tricky to remove and seat with them being so hard. I had the luxury of doing it with the transmission on the bench.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, getting them seated was definitely no picnic. I used the spec'd volvo grease and a rubber mallet to knock em in. Left side was the hardest to do, there's essentially no room to swing anything in there so it's hard to get it seating evenly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts