SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happened to have the undercarriage cover off for an unrelated job over the weekend and I noticed oil all over the cover as well as oil on pan and filter housing. Just changed the oil 4 weeks back and pretty sure undercarriage was bone dry at that time. Wow, is it possible I cracked the housing when I reinstalled? That would be a serious rookie move. Don’t want to waste the synth oil either so I guess I’ve got a make-work project coming up fast as I’m down to the minimum line on oil already. Lovely.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Did you replace the sealing ring? Maybe not installed properly?

Try backing out the filter housing a bit then retorque it. Otherwise dump the oil into a clean receptacle so that you can reuse it and inspect the housing.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'd also make sure that the sealing ring was installed in the correct groove

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Both of my thoughts also.

Did you replace the sealing ring? Maybe not installed properly?
Try backing out the filter housing a bit then retorque it. Otherwise dump the oil into a clean receptacle so that you can reuse it and inspect the housing.
I'd also make sure that the sealing ring was installed in the correct groove

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
They do crack. I replaced mine earlier this year after it started leaking a little bit.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas. Will report back.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Always hated those things...rather have a conventional filter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Take a quick look to make sure you're not dripping around the oil plug. I tried to reuse the crush washer on my last oil change. Mistake!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I make sure the threads and bore where the filter housing is very clean as well as the filter housing as well then liberally lube the new O-Ring & threads before installing the housing. For me it gos in easier than removing it, I keep meaning to put the plastic housing and a good fitting socket adaptor on the spares list, it just seems to be a funky application of plastic and assume waiting to crack.

Regards

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: that would have been too easy....my ac compressor is leaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts