SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, another new thread yay! So I saw a post on C30 world regarding the part number 31331023 (polestar upgrade, 930$ on tascaparts.com on par with tune prices.) I have a question though, I know through Ebay we can buy cloned DICE units (the tool volvo uses to read/ fault trace DTCs) for 190 shipped from China.

My question is does Polestar use a hand-held device like other tunes i.e RICA etc. Or Can I buy a 3 day subscription to VIDA and order a cloned DICE unit, download the software and call it a-day for 300 bucks. I am thinking if it is classified under a software update this would be the cheapest tune and the best option for value. I already ordered the DICE unit I just would like to know if they use it to load the tune onto the car.

I hope I don't get sued for posting this..... :cool:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Loophole! Doesn't sound like a bad idea at all but i know nothing about what they use. What does the polestar tune do for 05 models s40's?J Is it along the same lines as 08+

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
I kind of doubt it, I'm sure there is something that limits this SW download to only registered Volvo dealers otherwise I think independent shops would do this as well.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
How much is the 3 day subscription? if it isn't too much $ it could def be worth a shot. If Volvo hasn't noticed the loophole do it quick as it probably wont take long to figure it out.....

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I don't see why not. It uses a Volvo part # just like any other software/hardware item. Why would it be any different than buying a set of factory lowering springs or fog light software? You are still buying an item from a Volvo dealer. I'd be hot/surprised if it didn't work.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Yo turn off my drls hahaha

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I don't see why not. It uses a Volvo part # just like any other software/hardware item. Why would it be any different than buying a set of factory lowering springs or fog light software? You are still buying an item from a Volvo dealer. I'd be hot/surprised if it didn't work.
exactly. FOG LAMP SW! haha, Volvo restricts this to dealers. have you done a foglamp application with a 3 day sub? you cant.
i highly highly doubt you will be able to do the polestar sw as well....

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Loop Hole

I kind of doubt it, I'm sure there is something that limits this SW download to only registered Volvo dealers otherwise I think independent shops would do this as well.
OK , so what about the 2012 LoopHole on the S60 T5 rated at 250 HP - it's all software and Isn't classified as a TUNE . ?______? :beer:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
exactly. FOG LAMP SW! haha, Volvo restricts this to dealers. have you done a foglamp application with a 3 day sub? you cant.
i highly highly doubt you will be able to do the polestar sw as well....
There you have it. I guess you can't. :mad:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
How can you charge for "Software Download Application" if it doesn't work? Makes no sense.

VIDA PARTS, SERVICE, DIAGNOSTIC, & SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD ON DVD
Includes:

DVD subscription and automatic delivery of periodic updates at no additional cost*
Initial user registration
Ongoing online support for troubleshooting subscription and application performance
Online training in how to use VIDA
Access to online databases of Volvo Service and Parts Bulletins, Technical Journals, and Wiring Diagrams

How To Order Order Now
Pricing
VIDA Parts, Service, Diagnostic & Software Download on DVD 3-Day 30-Day 365-Day
Parts Catalog $14.00 $55.00 $365.00
Service Information $15.50 $135.00 $1,810.00
Vehicle Diagnostics Application $39.00 $260.00 $2,600.00
Software Download Application $28.50 $205.00 $2,050.00
Service and Parts Bulletins $3.00 $25.25 $190.00
Technical Journals $4.00 $33.75 $245.00
Online Wiring Diagrams $4.00 $21.00 $90.00
DVD Shipping Charge $7.50 $7.50 $7.50
Total $115.50 $742.50 $7,357.50

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whoops:
VIDA Subscription Refund Policy
It is Volvo's policy that VIDA subscriptions will not be refunded once they have been activated, regardless of duration, or circumstance. The VIDA subscription is to be used solely for internal purposes by the person(s) or company that has made the purchase. Under no circumstances may any subscriptions purchased from this site be used outside the boundaries of the United States and Canada, and its respective states and provinces. The access to VIDA is non-transferable and non-exclusive. Under no circumstances may subscription ownership be transferred or shared with another person or company. Any violation of the above will result in automatic termination of your VIDA license, and no refund will be provided.

lol all of this is to insure that we go to the dealer.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
whoops:
VIDA Subscription Refund Policy
It is Volvo's policy that VIDA subscriptions will not be refunded once they have been activated, regardless of duration, or circumstance. The VIDA subscription is to be used solely for internal purposes by the person(s) or company that has made the purchase. Under no circumstances may any subscriptions purchased from this site be used outside the boundaries of the United States and Canada, and its respective states and provinces. The access to VIDA is non-transferable and non-exclusive. Under no circumstances may subscription ownership be transferred or shared with another person or company. Any violation of the above will result in automatic termination of your VIDA license, and no refund will be provided.

lol all of this is to insure that we go to the dealer.

Off-course! That's what they call a win-win for them. Volvo can engineer anything they want with all kinds of special tools and procedures, meanwhile it insure you will go back to the dealer because only them have all it takes. It's becoming more and more prevalent making small shop struggles since they can't afford these systems across all brands!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
How can you charge for "Software Download Application" if it doesn't work? Makes no sense.
it does work! but not for everything. you can do downloads, but not that change the "configuration" of the vehicle.

I have a 365 sub, but its tied to the exact computer and IP. you cant easily transfer or give password to someone else and expect it to work...sorry!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts