SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a DiCE clone and Volvo S60 with a intermittent electrical fault that I can't seem to pinpoint. I believe the DiCE sd logging might help reveal the culprit. So what I was wondering is...
  • Has anyone here attempted to populate the missing SD Card holder?
  • Does anyone happen to know the part number of the original SD Card holder?
  • Has anyone attempted to hardwire a SD Card to a "clone" DiCE?

I've done some research on the topic and found some hints that it may have been done before, but no technical details like pinouts or part numbers. Anywho, any assistance would be much appreciated! Cheers!
-sj

·
Registered
49 Posts
The connector is an ALPS SCDA3C0102. Unfortunately the connector is now discontinued by ALPS so finding one may be a bit difficult, you'll have to find someone that has some old stock. If you can find the connector all you have to do is solder it to the board and it'll work fine on the clone DiCE, I've done it several times. I think you also need to use SD media, I seem to recall having some problems with SDHC cards.

·
Registered
240 Posts
An old floppy disk cable with PCB connector can be used as an alternative to hardwiring. Then the SD card is removable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The connector is an ALPS SCDA3C0102. Unfortunately the connector is now discontinued by ALPS so finding one may be a bit difficult, you'll have to find someone that has some old stock. If you can find the connector all you have to do is solder it to the board and it'll work fine on the clone DiCE, I've done it several times. I think you also need to use SD media, I seem to recall having some problems with SDHC cards.
Thanx zuiko! The photos from your website helped piece the puzzle together! (I saw the ALPS logo on the original board and eventually found the SCDA9A0400 with what appeared to be the same pinout but in a different overall footprint). I kinda figured it was discontinued... I'll do some searching for a old stock. I think the SCDA9A0400 might "work" with a little modification to the case/card holder.

So yea, I did get the card working... Well, Sorta... I worked out the pinout from datasheets and some probing around. (*See Photo below. Credit to zuiko for the high res bare board shot.) DiCE flight recorder reports the card as "OK". (its a ancient 32MB Canon card) When I short the unused USB pin to GND, i get nothing. No extra flashing lights, clicks, beeps, or stuff written to the card. Should I have placed some sort of file on the card prior to installing? OR does triggering the flight recorder involve something other than just shorting the unused USB pin to ground? :confused:

An old floppy disk cable with PCB connector can be used as an alternative to hardwiring. Then the SD card is removable.
Thanx! I'll probably give this a try next if i can't get this card working...

Cheers!
-sj

To the best of my knowledge, the following pinout is correct. *Use at your own risk* Pins 10 & 12 are interlocks pulled HIGH by the µC. They are shorted to GND when a writable card is inserted.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You need to copy one of the configuration files onto the SD card. But you might be able to use the Flightrecorder software to do this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need to copy one of the configuration files onto the SD card. But you might be able to use the Flightrecorder software to do this.
Thanx rkam! Yea, I finally figured out how to transfer the .cfg file to card in flight recorder... Unfortunately, it was after I had already swapped out the card for another. Not a big deal though as the new card is a Micro SD with a adaptor so I can swap cards easily if needed. The software is not too intuitive on how to go about getting it up and running... you have to change from the "logs" folder to "config" folder in the browser to the left of the screen, download the config file to the DiCE, then set a name (or something like that). I edited the config file to only capture data on the High Speed bus as that is where my fault is occurring.

The amount of data captured in that 40 seconds is nuts! The High Speed CAN data was just shy of 60,000 lines! :eek: Now I gotta figure out what exactly it is that I am looking at... From what i've read from your posts in other threads, this data is usually shipped to the experts at Volvo for deciphering. :facepalm:

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
what soldering knife do you use to do this? I was thinking about using a hot plate since it is surface mount but it sounds like you are successful at using a knife? I have the right connector I've just been putting this job off.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just use a regular soldering station with a 1mm chisel point tip to solder the SD card connector. A temperature of 400C (750F) is usually hot enough to keep the solder flowing when soldering the tabs. Use a little bit of flux and it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to solder the connector to the board.

Soldering on the Bluetooth connector is a lot more difficult but it can be done with a .5mm pointed tip and an inspection microscope.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
I just use a regular soldering station with a 1mm chisel point tip to solder the SD card connector. A temperature of 400C (750F) is usually hot enough to keep the solder flowing when soldering the tabs. Use a little bit of flux and it shouldn't take more than a minute or two to solder the connector to the board.

Soldering on the Bluetooth connector is a lot more difficult but it can be done with a .5mm pointed tip and an inspection microscope.
i have one of the smuggled real DICE units with a real teleca board so it already has the BT and module fortunately.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I've gathered the required parts, and am planning on attempting the addition of a socket and bluetooth module. Has anyone been successful at this?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dears:

I'm trying to make the Flight Recorder running.

- wired alternative SD card holder, including all Card Present and Card Protect switches.
- SD card test in FR software says OK, browsing/loading works fine.
- the card inside is MicroSD 1GB or 2GB thru adapter [bigger SDHC MicroSD cards do not work]
- I did set the LOG ID

I'm able to Download any configuration from the left window, it appears loaded in the right window.

When Disconnected in FR, the DiCE seem to work according to the triggers section in cfg file.
Well - it starts sending K-line wakeup messages and the relays turn on. Also trigger that verifies Vbatt to stop this periodic messages work.

However I do not see any LOG files being stored.

I tried also to add a switch that would connect the unused USB pin to ground, with no change [BTW, there's no voltage on that pin, tried to pull-up this pin too, no luck]

Any further ideas? What am I missing here?

Thanks, Pavel

·
Registered
101 Posts
Has any progress been made? I am in awe of your collective hardware/ software prowess. How do you go about attempting to decipher the can bus log once you've got it captured in a file?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts