SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first post here although I've been an avid reader for awhile. I just bought a 2007 S60R mt the other day and found out the AWD is not functioning. Can't get the rear wheels to do a thing in the snow. I put it up on a jack and did the test where you spin one of the front wheels while observing whether or not the driveshaft is spinning. It was spinning, and while someone else was turning the front wheel I applied moderate hand pressure on the shaft to see if it would stop. It would not, so I assume the angle gear is ok? Something at the rear of the car (diff or otherwise) is not engaging I think. I've read about checking the Haldex computer (is this what's called the DEM?) with a multimeter, where is this or how to go about it? Or some dirty sensor? I have no messages on in the dash, except the CEL which I think might be a fuel pump or MAF sensor or something. What about the collar sleeve, and where is this located?

I would appreciate some response as to what the next step should be. If I can't fix it myself, I would at least like to know what is wrong (and do the appropriate testing at home) so I'm armed with information for the mechanic. I'm sorry for the uninformed questions, but this car is brand new to me and I'm still trying to figure it out. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that second link. I have used the search feature quite a bit but none of them seemed to address this problem directly, maybe I haven't found it yet.

I just jacked up the side of the car, turned it on, put it in gear, only the the front wheel spins. As it was spinning, I crawled underneath and saw that the prop/ driveshaft was spinning. I shut the car off, and spun the shaft by hand, and the front wheel again spins.

I also noticed if I spun the rear wheel there was a very slight reaction on the driveshaft, but it did not spin- just moved a tad.

Maybe this helps a little.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Colin, I read your post before, but I'm rethinking that it could be the collar sleeve. I could spin the shaft by hand without too much effort. Where is the collar sleeve located, the front by the tranny or by the rear diff?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Front by tranny

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I just ordered the VIDA DICE scanner, so in a few days I should be able to check if there's a code. Seems like it might be the temp pressure sensor because there hasn't been anything on in the dash, and the driveshaft spins like it should. I suppose the VIDA will tell me if the sensor is bad?

·
Registered
557 Posts
That's a great start.
VIDA & DiCE allows you to interrogate and test individual components - rather than guess and replace parts.

If there is a fault (e.g. no communication, pump fault) then this will normally be logged.
VIDA will also tell you how many occurrences (drive cycles) the fault has occurred.

If your DEM module ends up being faulty, depending on your location, the guys at Xemodex might be handy.
Here's their technical resource page.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Ok, I just ordered the VIDA DICE scanner, so in a few days I should be able to check if there's a code. Seems like it might be the temp pressure sensor because there hasn't been anything on in the dash, and the driveshaft spins like it should. I suppose the VIDA will tell me if the sensor is bad?
When my pressure sensor went, the caR would have intermittent AWD. It would come off and on randomly.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that typical? It has been slick enough outside that I'm pretty convinced that there would be enough friction left on the collar sleeve to engage the rear wheels, but no. There is definitely something not connecting in the rear diff area.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
From what I've heard, if it's the sensor, it's typical for the AWD to be intermittent, as it's just not sending constant signals like it should.

Mine went out last year and replacing the sensor fixed it. This year, I lost it again. We pulled and replaced the collar sleeve, but that wasn't the issue. The original one in there looked perfect. Nothing wrong with the angle gear too. Driveshaft turns when on the lift and in drive. So I've kind of narrowed it down to the DEM or Haldex pump.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And when my VIDA unit comes, that should tell me if it is the pump? I doubt it's the DEM because there are no warnings on the dash (Anti- skid service), and the diagnostic comes out ok when when holding the READ button while pushing the rear fog light button- in other words it seems to be communicating with the DEM. Hopefully the VIDA shows if the pump is working.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had the same thing going on with my car, I could bottom out the car in snow and then get stuck where the front wheel will spin and the rear do nothing. But when i lift the car up in the air all 4 wheel worked.

I know it was not the sleeve because I just replaced it. So I turn to the haldex unit. I drain it of oil and pulled the pressure switch, pump and filiter out. I replaced all of them. Finely the other day we got snow so I got to test it out and now I have all 4 wheel working.

There 3 options I can see might be wrong.
1. Sleeve is about to be wore out still grabs but when under hard load slips.
2. Pressure switch is clog
3. The dem is gone bad.

If it was me I would fine out when the sleeve has be replaced if it been replace in the last few years should be good. But my money on the pressure switch.

If you have any question just pm and I can help

·
Registered
523 Posts
And when my VIDA unit comes, that should tell me if it is the pump? I doubt it's the DEM because there are no warnings on the dash (Anti- skid service), and the diagnostic comes out ok when when holding the READ button while pushing the rear fog light button- in other words it seems to be communicating with the DEM. Hopefully the VIDA shows if the pump is working.
It should. You can see a bit of the analysis I did in this thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...n-to-purchase-VIDA-DICE-it-fixed-my-AWD-issue

Your VIDA/DICE should be able to tell you what faults have been detected and give you the readings of each sensor in the AWD drive system. It will usually report the faults pretty readily.

VIDA/DICE is somewhat intuitive, once you get the hang of how it is laid out, you'll simply run through all of the options and see what is off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I did some old world testing when i had a problem. I hard wired the pump to see if it would kick on the pump while on jack stands. And it did. 2 days later i got my Vida and the DEM was randomly offline. Cleared the code and worked perfectly.

I had some exhaust work and they pulled the e-brake to pull it on the rack. It stopped working after that. I think it glitched out.

You might try hard wiring it to truly test it.

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
DEM pump or temp/pressure sensor issues rarely if ever throw an error on the dash. Only if the DEM itself (the electronic module) fails would you get a dash error AFAIK.
There are lots of DEM-xxxx codes, whatever you find should narrow it down pretty well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Using the method of the read and rear fog buttons I got this list did I mess up somehow or is my car gonna implode

Bcm dtc set
Ecm dtc set
Dem dtc set
Aum dtc set
Cem dtc set
Dim dtc set
Ddm dtc set
Ccm dtc set
Sum dtc set
Psm dtc set
Rem dtc set
Uem dtc set
Srs dtc set

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
Using the method of the read and rear fog buttons I got this list did I mess up somehow or is my car gonna implode

Bcm dtc set
Ecm dtc set
Dem dtc set
Aum dtc set
Cem dtc set
Dim dtc set
Ddm dtc set
Ccm dtc set
Sum dtc set
Psm dtc set
Rem dtc set
Uem dtc set
Srs dtc set
It means you need a VIDA scan and it will probably identify a number of issues you should fix.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.