SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the best way to go about diagnosing AWD faliure ....it stopped working today
And how would I know the difference between a collar sleeve or angle gear ****ting the bed or something else

Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
1) if the angle gear has failed, you would hear it. metal on metal / grinding / screeching kind of thing.
2) the collar sleeve can be checked by propping the car up on the front right side, then rotating that wheel while watching the prop shaft, does it rotate? if yes, then most likely the collar is fine.
3) plug your car in to a vida, are there any codes for the haldex, or oil pressure / temperature sensor ?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Literally did it all the tests this week.

As Haddock said, rotate front wheels, if the driveshaft turns, you're probably fine unless the sleeve is just starting to fail and isn't fully rounded out. If the driveshaft turns, it's probably the pressure/temp sensor in the back ($180, 10 min fix) or a bad pump ($350, more in-depth fix). I had a pressure/temp sensor go last year and it made the AWD engage intermittently, not complete go out.

Angle gear sh*tting the bed is less common than the collar sleeve sh*tting the bed. Unless you have a leak and lost all your oil out of your angle gear.

And of course, check codes. If it's a sensor, it should show a fault.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

While in gear the drive shaft spins but it was hard to get it to by hand
Collar sleeve ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
But while in neutral with the right front tire spinning ...so does the prop shaft
Does it mean the collar is just starting to go?

But when I put it up in jack stands and had it in gear while on only the front tires spin
So what the ****

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya the car was running I had my brother sit in the car and put it in first gear only fronts spun

·
Registered
942 Posts
Sounds like a collar. Where in ct are you located? I may have a sleeve and all of the seals for an angle gear rebuild on the shelf.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Middlebury

·
Registered
942 Posts
Colin I replied to your pm. Come on by my shop in watertown so I can take a look if you'd like!

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
But while in neutral with the right front tire spinning ...so does the prop shaft
Does it mean the collar is just starting to go?

But when I put it up in jack stands and had it in gear while on only the front tires spin
So what the ****
To me, this test means your angle gear/collar PASS and that means something at the other end has failed (DEM, DEM pump, DEM temp/pressure sensors, etc).

A VIDA scan should turn up codes to help narrow it down.

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
1) if the angle gear has failed, you would hear it. metal on metal / grinding / screeching kind of thing.
Not true, my R lost AWD as 85k miles, both the collar and angle gear had to be replaced (CPO warranty).
I never heard any unusual noises while driving it during the failure (other than the one loud BANG at the moment it actually failed).

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
who has vidas in my area.....I have vida but no car to computer interface

·
Registered
152 Posts
Changes are the collar is slightly catching
I hate to thread jack!!!! But here goes
I had a loud bang and no awd , no grinding. Thinking its my collar gear aswell. Tested car on lift nuetral not running , one person on each front tire turning the same direction , prop shaft did not spin.. Am i atleast close in my assumption.

06 , silver , gobi , GT.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I hate to thread jack!!!! But here goes
I had a loud bang and no awd , no grinding. Thinking its my collar gear aswell. Tested car on lift nuetral not running , one person on each front tire turning the same direction , prop shaft did not spin.. Am i atleast close in my assumption.

06 , silver , gobi , GT.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like collar to me.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can someone please confirm the procedure for replacing the collar ....I'm gonna do it this weekend
Take off wheel
Axel bolt
Get caliper and suspension out of way
Take off guide bearing
Remove right drive shaft from angle gear
Unbolt prop shaft from angle gear
Unbolt angle gear from tranny
Pull off collar
Replace collar and seals
Put back together

Anything I missed?
Also will I loose any fluids? From angle gear or tranny

Thanks

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You might lose some angle gear and tranny fluid, yes. I went and bought 1L of each from the dealer and have a little bit left over from both.

I don't remember the exact order of disassembly, but that sounds about right. I wasn't there for the whole thing when I had mine done last week.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.