SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to sell our S60R 6m so we're going through another complete detail polish etc. I thought I might share some pics. iPhone photos but will get some better photos this weekend when I get my camera back from my father in law who had to borrow it for wedding photos last weekend.

We've given the car a complete going over. Started with a thorough power wash followed by a hand wash. All the wheels were taken off and cleaned inside and out.
Next I taped off all the plastic trim and lights so we could polish and wax without any unintended consequences.

Once I got everything taped off Pete and I clayed the whole car. This was done in June too so it wasn't too bad but it absolutely had to be done before we could apply polish to it.

once we got the clay done and were satisfied that there was absolutely no dirt on the car whatsoever we moved onto polishing. I used Mendoza intensive polish for this and a random orbital with a red cutting pad to do the polish. It did a good job although it probably could have used an even more aggressive polish for the first stage. Pete did all the polishing while I finished taping the parts I forgot on the other side haha

Most of the panels came up very nicely. The hood has some rock chips that I don't like and there are some small dings but for the most part the paint is in excellent shape.

Once we were happy with the polish we moved on to an application of carnauba wax for protection. It was nice to do this inside especially on a black car!

Cleaning off the wax. black and yellow ...

That was pretty much it for day one. We got 99.9% of the wax off and took off the tape.

WOW that "black" trim looks terrible. Time to do something (permanent) about that.

next day picked up the required supplies. Some black shoe die + back to black plastic restorer.

Now to tape off all the paint and go over all the trim and edges with an eraser to remove all traces of wax from the trim .. fun fun...:eek:

Once we got everything taped off I went through and dyed all the trim black while Pete followed me with a buffing rag to clean off the excess and polish up the surface. The final treatment after it was re-dyed and thoroughly dried is to go over it with back to black. Finally put it outside in the sin to dry. No pictures of the final product yet. but it's quite black.

here's a preview.

on to day three which is engine bay, floor mats, carpet and interior. More pics to come this weekend :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Nice work. I need to do mine so bad, literally been a couple years since I detailed mine though its usually undercover and doesn't get driven as much as it used to since I work from home.

·
3,899 Posts
Nice work! On the trim I'd highly recommend cquartz dlux coating, it will last atleast a year or two.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
On my 04's trim, I'm using Griot's Rubber Prep and then Forever Black Trim Dye. Very happy with the performance so far.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Please, do not waste time with Back to Black. That crap will wash away after a few rains. Forever Black stays on for 2+ years.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Please, do not waste time with Back to Black. That crap will wash away after a few rains. Forever Black stays on for 2+ years.
The Black color is actually from the shoe die which is a "permanent" fix. I did it on my 850 trim 5 years ago and it's still holding up fine. The back to black I was using to enhance and make it a little darker. I will check out the forever black though I've never used it:thumbup:

This picture is the shoe die by itself

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
IMO the best solution on an 04 is to paint the trim, requires more effort up front but you never have to worry about to again

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
IMO the best solution on an 04 is to paint the trim, requires more effort up front but you never have to worry about to again
The trim dye is so easy, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts