SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help putting together a detailing plan. First off, I have a black sapphire S60R and I'm extremely anal when it comes to keeping it clean. This is a terrible terrible combo :mad:

A couple of months ago, I really went to town on my car. Special thanks to '11 V50 for helping answer my endless novice questions :beer:

My procedure was:

1) Wash car
2) Meguiar's Clay Bar w/quick detailer
3) Wash car
4) M105 w/ LC Cyan Pad
5) M205 w/ LC Tangerine Pad
6) Meg's Ultimate Wax

This of course took a couple of long days. For the first time doing it, I think I did a pretty good job. I took out A LOT of fine scratches, removed all swirl marks and there were no more holographs left in the paint. This was justified the next week at a meet in the sun. The paint looked fantastic and I could not have been happier.

Fast forward 2 months and I have swirl marks and holographs :facepalm:

I'm thinking that this happened from washing the car and I'm doubting my washing method. I usually take a bucket, fill it with soap and water, and throw in 5 microfiber cloths, one for each side of the car.

I was thinking about getting a foam gun to avoid this, anyone have experience using one?

More importantly, I was thinking of redoing the process to a certain degree and removing all the scratches again. This time though, I was thinking of applying Opticoat when I'm done (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html)

This should give a better protection against future marks, right? What do you guys think?

TIA
-Patrick

·
Registered
91 Posts
You're correct in that your wash technique is causing the swirls. The majority, if not all, swirl marks is caused by improper washing.

From the sound of it, you're not properly getting rid of the grit and grime on your wash media. In other words, you're rubbing dirt into your freshly corrected paint.

I religiously use the "two bucket method" with a grit guards in each for washing my car(s). I also use a foam cannon as well, which is much better than the ordinary gilmour foam gun.

Do a youtube search on "two bucket wash method" and "grit guards".

Leftyxc90

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What kind of MF towels are they? Not all are the same as far as possible marring the paint. Which I believe you are seeing. Also drying your car can cause swirls and light marring. Black is hard to keep swirl free and the Opti Coat will help. But make sure you have the paint the way you want it because once you apply the Opti Coat you won't want to remove it .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts