SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rains this year have really torn up the asphalt roads here in West Los Angeles. My wife had the unfortunate experience of running through a pothole at a decent clip a couple of weeks ago, and the two right side tires have bulges at the corner of the tread. So, we had to replace two of 17" Pirelli P6's. At least the wheels are okay for now. I was afraid that they would be in bad shape, but they're okay (miracle).

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
If you're going to be replacing 2 Pirelli P6's, why not just buy 4 new something else. These Pirelli's are notorious for getting bubbles in the sidewall anyway. It won't be any time before you're going it all over again and cursing yourself for replacing them with the same thing. <A HREF="http://www.tirerack.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.tirerack.com</A> has some much better tires at great prices. Just a thought and my $.02.<p>I would personally recommend the Bridgestone Turanza LS-V for $125 each in size 16. They will be a little higher in your size. Also, many have been saying great things about the Avon Tech M550 A/S....only $80 each in my size and the Continentals. Others might want to chime in with their preferences. We personally put the Bridgestone's on my wife's '04 V70 2.5T and love them. They are a touring tire, but for our needs, they are great....very smooth, quiet and good handling. <BR><BR>
<i>Modified by MadeInJapan at 5:03 PM 4-15-2006</i>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (MadeInJapan)

Agreed, P6's are 100% J.U.N.K!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Agreed, P6's are 100% J.U.N.K!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I still don't know why you keep trashing that tire. Yeah, it is not a high performance tire but for a V-rated tire it does very well. I got 43,000 miles out of those P6s that came with my car from the factory. Never blew one and you know how "wonderful" ther roads are here in PA.<p>But guess what...I am stickler with the tire pressure (checked and adjusted every 10 days) and rotated them RELIGIOUSLY every 7,500 miles.<p>There were fine in the snow, rain or what have you. FOr what you pay, they are not as bad you make them seem.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>GrecianVolvo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>I still don't know why you keep trashing that tire. <p>Yannis</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Why, because you seem to be the only person that never had a problem with them.<br>After about 16-18K miles they get hard, noisy and bubbles in the sidewall.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have the P6s on my S60, they previous owner installed them I think. I've put over 10K on them and they are still perfect for the car. No bubbles, and no problems.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (exodus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>exodus</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the P6s on my S60, they previous owner installed them I think. I've put over 10K on them and they are still perfect for the car. No bubbles, and no problems. </TD></TR></TABLE><br>Wait until about 18K or so, that's when they start becoming VERY LOUD and very hard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They only had about 6K miles on them, and we needed something ASAP. An expensive stopgap? Maybe.<p>Plus at least one of the two Orpheus wheels got bent from this incident. Grrr...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts