SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have an '06 V50 T5 AWD 6M with 143k miles for starters. I took it the the Tail of the Dragon this past summer (which it performed better than expected) and got a good idea of where I wanted to go from there as far as modifications go. So far the only "modification" that I have done is upgrading from 205's to 225 Falken Pro G4's.

So far, I already have new springs and shocks for all four corners. I'm also going to be getting the front LCA's and front CV's. I might get a rear sway bar if I feel that there's still too much body roll after I go through everything.

However the biggest let-down by far was the steering. I feel like I didn't feel a damn thing. Now generally there isn't too much you can do but I at least need to give it a shot. I want to start buy putting in some power steering rack bushings and go from there. Obviously, nobody makes them for our cars (that I could find) as far as UPGRADED bushings go. However, I was able to find a guy that makes aluminum and delrin bushings for 2000-2011 Ford Focii. With any luck, they might work. However, I'd thought I'd ask first. Does anybody have those bushings (new or used) on hand for measurements (or simply know where to get some firmer bushings)?

Also, if anyone wants to meet up at Tail of the Dragon, I'm almost always down.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Subscribed because I would like to know what you find.

Our cars are twins except for the hole in the top of yours. No sunroof here.

·
Registered
2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design
284 Posts
I think I know what you mean about the steering. It's easy to turn the steering wheel, but the car seems to not go anywhere for the amount of turn. At least I think that is the same issue you're talking about. Thats really the only thing that frustrates me about my car. So I'd like to see if you find anything also!

And I have Volvo friends in Franklin, so TOTD trips have become pretty common for me!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
before going the steering rack bushings route i would swap in the new LCA's and CV's. see how it feels and go from there.....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you can add more caster to the front wheels it can improve the feel and handling with in reason.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a glimmer of hope: I found the bushing!

Here's the catch: as a Mazda Part number. Now I can only assume that the bushings used in our racks are the same size as the ones used in the Mazda3 racks, as the exterior rack casings are nearly identical.

Mazda Part # BP4L32123 Price: $16.53/ea shipped

I also dug a little bit more and found some of the Ford part numbers that the bushings in the Focii came with: 2M5Z-3C716-AA, YS4Z-3C716-AA

The Ford and Mazda bushings look almost identical, which is nice to hear. Hopefully Volvo didn't do something different for the sake of being different. :nono:

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Why don't you join us for our annual meets at the dragon?!?!

C30s Conquer the Dragon in the spring is C30 exclusive, but other Volvos always show up too. Two years ago we had a record breaking 60 Volvos and got national attention for one of the large Volvo meets in the world.
We also have the smaller Volvo Dragon Slayers in the fall for all Volvos to join. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230757-4th-Annual-Volvo-Dragon-Slayer-(The-Mini-Dragon)

There's a few of us local who will probably be going for a Diamond Back run in November. We'll probably extend that to include a run of the dragon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why don't you join us for our annual meets at the dragon?!?!

C30s Conquer the Dragon in the spring is C30 exclusive, but other Volvos always show up too. Two years ago we had a record breaking 60 Volvos and got national attention for one of the large Volvo meets in the world.
We also have the smaller Volvo Dragon Slayers in the fall for all Volvos to join. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?230757-4th-Annual-Volvo-Dragon-Slayer-(The-Mini-Dragon)

There's a few of us local who will probably be going for a Diamond Back run in November. We'll probably extend that to include a run of the dragon.
Dammit I wish I knew!!! Next year for sure, though. I like any excuse I can get to go to TOTD. Although I can't go all the time (I live roughly seven hours away) I am always down with enough lead time. I usually go for the weekend when I do it. Drive up on Friday, slay the Dragon, sleep at hotel, slay Dragon all day Saturday, sleep at hotel, drive back on Sunday. Hopefully I can get all of the suspension crap done before the next time I go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Falken Pro G4's are listed as all weather tires. as you know all weather tires have some trade offs. try Continental Extreme Contact DW in the 225 width, that's what I have. they stick like glue and are quiet. Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Falken Pro G4's are listed as all weather tires. as you know all weather tires have some trade offs. try Continental Extreme Contact DW in the 225 width, that's what I have. they stick like glue and are quiet. Have fun.
Great tires! One of my all time favorites, and I try at least 3 different sets of summer tires each year.
Though, tread life isn't the best. But that's the price you pay for grip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They're all seasons with a performance bias to them. The main reason I chose those over Contis or PSS's is because I drive the car way too much to be going through tires every 18 months. If I ever get new wheels then I'll get some good tires, but that is very unlikely to happen.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts