SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just informed that my 2012 S60 T5 with 118k on it is junk due to cyl 3 having 15psi compression. The only option I was given was to get a rebuilt engine for roughly $8k (P+L). Please tell me there is something else I can do other than that (or run the vehicle on 4 cylinders for its remaining life. I have had ZERO issues with this car until it started misfiring intermittently last month and then consistently 2 days ago when I took it in to Volvo to get it resolved. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
770 Posts
Has anyone bothered to figure out why compression in that cylinder is so low? That could be caused by a whole bunch of things, some of which are best addressed by swapping out the engine while others might be fixable.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Has anyone bothered to figure out why compression in that cylinder is so low? That could be caused by a whole bunch of things, some of which are best addressed by swapping out the engine while others might be fixable.
+1.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Of course Volvo dealer said that, there is less margin in a detailed diagnosis and a probable cheaper solution. As with the dodgy diagnosis your GP gives you, get a second opinion (that doesn't involve the internet)

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
A Volvo dealer will not repair an engine in this situation, just replace.

If you go to an indy shop they might consider replacing the rings or the valve that may be the issue. It'll probably in the $1,000 - $1,500 range if it is a singular issue.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
A Volvo dealer will not repair an engine in this situation, just replace.
That's a rubbish answer.....a dealership will gladly fix an engine if that is financially viable for the customer. This vitriol towards dealer service being scum really is offensive to techs and dealerships out there that perform amazing and honest to service (which is the majority of dealerships). If your dealership is that bad, find a new one. If you want to fix your motor, a Volvo dealership will. It may cost more, but there are some reasons to consider it (like how long they will stand behind their work and the level of training the tech repairing the motor has with Volvo).

·
Registered
13,497 Posts
Perhaps this has been his experience with his local dealer.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I was just informed that my 2012 S60 T5 with 118k on it is junk due to cyl 3 having 15psi compression.
Was it burning oil? There have been a few posts here of early 2012 T5s burning oil and getting piston rings replaced. That has fixed a few oil burners but not all. Some are getting new engines. This engine has some type of defect but it's unclear what the real issue is. Maybe you can get a 5cyl that was pulled out for burning oil real cheap. 5 cylinders working but burning oil is better than 4 working cylinders ;)

You're also not the first to have severe engine troubles with the T5. Here another thread on a burnt valve. Misery loves company.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?217635-2012-S60-T5-Hole-in-Exhaust-valve-at-78k-miles

·
Registered
369 Posts
That's a rubbish answer.....a dealership will gladly fix an engine if that is financially viable for the customer. This vitriol towards dealer service being scum really is offensive to techs and dealerships out there that perform amazing and honest to service (which is the majority of dealerships). If your dealership is that bad, find a new one. If you want to fix your motor, a Volvo dealership will. It may cost more, but there are some reasons to consider it (like how long they will stand behind their work and the level of training the tech repairing the motor has with Volvo).
Well said.

Have you gone "up the ladder" with this one? I'm sure Volvo will help out in some capacity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My thoughts EXACTLY. The dealer did not bother to actually diagnose the CAUSE of the compression loss. Just immediately went to "You need a new engine...that'll be $8000." Really.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP says he took it to Volvo. Did they determine that the bore for #3 cylinder is damaged?
They did not diagnose the cause of the compression loss. Baffling. Except that they wanted me to bite on the "new engine" approach instantly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've set up an appointment with my local independent shop that advertises Volvo service (and replacement). Speaking to him, he said the right things...."Let's FIRST find out IF you need an engine." THAT'S the kind of service I'd expect and respect. Car is headed there tonight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed. I do raise my eyebrows at the lack of this dealership's initiative to COMPLETE the diagnosis by telling me WHY the cylinder has lost compression. As everyone seems to indicate, this can be caused by a myriad of things.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well said.

Have you gone "up the ladder" with this one? I'm sure Volvo will help out in some capacity.
I have contacted Volvo NA yesterday....was told they will open a file, the regional svc manager will review and contact the dealer I dealt with, and then contact me within 3 biz days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was it burning oil? There have been a few posts here of early 2012 T5s burning oil and getting piston rings replaced. That has fixed a few oil burners but not all. Some are getting new engines. This engine has some type of defect but it's unclear what the real issue is. Maybe you can get a 5cyl that was pulled out for burning oil real cheap. 5 cylinders working but burning oil is better than 4 working cylinders ;)

You're also not the first to have severe engine troubles with the T5. Here another thread on a burnt valve. Misery loves company.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?217635-2012-S60-T5-Hole-in-Exhaust-valve-at-78k-miles
My last couple of oil changes indicated that indeed it SEEMED to be burning oil more rapidly than expected but it has NEVER smoked - ANY color. In fact, even on 4 cylinders now, it's not smoking at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Perhaps this has been his experience with his local dealer.
This dealer, unfortunately, has shown a propensity for pulling the trigger quickly on other service as well. They are one of only 2 dealerships in about a 20-mile radius. They serve an area that is not typical Volvo country - Allentown, PA. I'm sure their margins are razor thin.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like there are many posters with engine/oil consumption problems in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like there are many posters with engine/oil consumption problems in Pennsylvania.
I imagine there will many engine/oil consumption problems anywhere 2012 T5s were sold.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts