SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im trying to install my JVC double din. I ordered the brackets and wiring harness from Crutchfield, forgot the antenna harness, never listen to the radio anyway, but Ill order that later.

Do I have the correct harness? Its got a green thing, that looks like it will connect to the other green thing, then a gray thing and I didn't see another gray thing to connect it to. As far as I can tell the ground wire is on the gray, so it needs to go somewhere...Or do I have the wrong harness? I told them 06 no nav w/ 6 disk, its the HU 850.

I have read in threads the gray one may be for the amp, is that connection hiding in the dash somewhere?

This is what they sent me:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120709221/Metra-70-9221-Receiver-Wiring-Harness.html?tp=2977

I wanna make sure I have the correct thing and know what I'm doing before I take the stuff apart again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
You need a ARH-VOL Amplifier Retention Harness (necessary for R's with the HU-850)

They have no clue what HU-850 means for the system. What this means, is you have an external amplifier for the audio system, whereas the other head unit has the amplifier built in (the other connector you're not going to use).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need a ARH-VOL Amplifier Retention Harness (necessary for R's with the HU-850)

They have no clue what HU-850 means for the system. What this means, is you have an external amplifier for the audio system, whereas the other head unit has the amplifier built in (the other connector you're not going to use).
Thats awesome.

Does the ARH-VOL take care of the ground? The ground wire is on the the gray connector...OR is the black and white wire connected to the green also a ground connection? If so than everything makes sense and thank you so much!

·
Registered
859 Posts
You won't need to worry about the gray connector.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, got the ARH-VOL cable and the antenna adaptor, all hooked up, no audio. HU works, has power, no audio. Is this dependant on the AMP connector? maybe I plugged it in wrong, I guessed on that (red in red and black in the white plugged into the output on the HU). Would it not work if I switched rear and front?

This is such a pita.

Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update*

So not long after this last post I got everything working. Thanks.

Now I have an issue. The pterodactyl is back. I either hit a bump or the heat got to something. My radio is now making this loud whining noise, its quite horrible. I have this issue to varying degrees. Either a almost inaudible high pitched whine and a much more disturbing whining that is unbearable, like nails on a chalkboard.

Where are the grounds located for the HU and the amp? I am assuming either or both are not well connected.

This is the second most annoying noise it makes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Whining or whirring noises from speakers suggests to me that you're picking up noise from the alternator or electrical system somewhere in your audio. You might want to pick a different grounding point. In my old Jeep, I drilled a dedicated hole for ground right next to the radio. I realize this might not be the most appropriate (or possible) approach with the R, but it's worth checking out.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
If you've recently pulled your battery terminals off, you should make sure the contact areas are clean and they are properly torqued down. The loss of a good connection between the battery and the main power buss is also known to cause the kind of issue you are talking about since the battery is the main buffer for the alternators sawtooth power output.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Grounding the head unit chassis firmly to the body of the car with a separate wire is also sometimes helpful.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts