SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tl;dr 2004 SR passenger side Depo fog lamp won't fit; bad part or am I retarded; how did you guys fit yours?

Good afternoon Swedespeed,

For those of you who have replaced your stock fluted R foglamps with the clear Depo units, I would like to know if you had any difficulty in installing the passenger side lamp (2004 SR, if that makes a difference). :confused:

I recently bought both driver and passenger side lamps and while the drivers side fit perfectly (as there is nothing behind the bumper on that side), the passenger side lamp is hindering me from putting the bumper back on. I then found out that it was the electrical connector that was hitting against the windshield fluid reservoir tank.

Pardon the bad mock-up, but imagine the cardboard box is the reservoir tank. In actual fact, the tank is right up and next to the connector. I am able to install the bumper back with the connector disconnected on the lamp side, but was then unable to plug the connector in due to lack of clearance. With the connector connected on the lamp side, I was unable to place the bumper back on.

I have thought of simply reversing the back, plastic cap so that the connector points to the right instead of the left, but was afraid that moisture/water will be able to enter the housing from the small removable tab (that would be facing upwards if I reversed the cap).

My questions are:

1. Did I just receive a bad part (where the plastic cap should be pointing to the right instead? I could not find any photos of the Depo lamps from the back - all listings only show the fronts)? :facepalm:
2. If the part is correct, how did you guys manage to fit yours?! :eek:

This is driving me nuts. :mad:

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If I remember correctly, the black plastic part at the back actually twists a litte bit and then comes off. Ie the entire black plastic part will separate just before the chrome colored glass that is the back of the housing.

See if you can pull it off and realine it when you put it back on.

It's been like 4 plus years since I bought the depo fog lights for my old 04 V70r.

I did not pull the bumper I just took part of the windshield washer fluid tank off.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you just use the cover of the old unit ?
I guess technically I could but the old ones were pretty beat up/corroded on the inside, hence why I was hoping to replace them with all new parts.

If I remember correctly, the black plastic part at the back actually twists a litte bit and then comes off. Ie the entire black plastic part will separate just before the chrome colored glass that is the back of the housing.

See if you can pull it off and realine it when you put it back on.

It's been like 4 plus years since I bought the depo fog lights for my old 04 V70r.

I did not pull the bumper I just took part of the windshield washer fluid tank off.
Yes, the rear black plastic part twists off (to change bulbs). I did loosen and re-aligned it after the bumper was back on, but I was unable to plug the harness in as the tank was in the way. Could you kindly elaborate on what you mean by ".. took part of the windshield washier fluid tank off."? I thought of moving the tank so that the connector fits but have not managed to figure that out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed the fill tube to the washer fluid tank to install the fog lights, then put it back in when I was done.

This is if I reversed the black plastic cap on the back to face left instead of the "default" right. However, this means that the small opening (shown in red in next photo) will be up top, potentially allowing moisture/water to enter.

You can also see that there is no clearance for me to put the back plastic cap on "correctly" (as per how it was shipped to me) - that's why I am questioning if I received a bad part which should have been like the photo above (connector to the left, but the opening on the bottom instead of at the top). :confused:

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Isn't the OEM unit a straight plug?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't the OEM unit a straight plug?
Yes, the OEM connector is straight out towards the rear of the car, but these Depo replacement ones are, unfortunately, not. Which is why I am having the hardest time trying to make them fit.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Yes, the OEM connector is straight out towards the rear of the car, but these Depo replacement ones are, unfortunately, not. Which is why I am having the hardest time trying to make them fit.
That sucks. Depo is usually pretty good stuff. I just replaced my bulbs and access was tight for OEM. I feel for you with this unit reducing access further.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sucks. Depo is usually pretty good stuff. I just replaced my bulbs and access was tight for OEM. I feel for you with this unit reducing access further.
I agree. The drivers side (R) replacement fit like a glove, but the passenger side.. :facepalm:

Anyone know what the small removable clip is there for?

Some sort of relief channel maybe? Reason I ask is because I'm thinking of sealing it up.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
I don't know what it's for, but it was still on both of my originals and it was facing down on both. Maybe it's to let dust, heat, or moisture out? I was actually surprised when I changed bulbs that there was as much dirt/dust inside as I found.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know what it's for, but it was still on both of my originals and it was facing down on both. Maybe it's to let dust, heat, or moisture out? I was actually surprised when I changed bulbs that there was as much dirt/dust inside as I found.
My thoughts exactly.. to let heat or pressure out perhaps? Anyone on here who knows what they might be for?

Planning to seal them up tonight with some epoxy putty so that I can "reverse mount" the black plastic cap for the passenger side - to let the connector face the unobstructed way.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I bet I just mounted mine with that one vent facing up.

A quick and dirty trick I learned from the HID retrofit guys is to put some of the desiccant packages you get in boxes of new stuff that say "do not eat" in you headlights or fog lights to let them absorb moisture so you don't get water condensing inside the lights.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I Had Depo Fogs for about 3.5 years. They are in the garbage now as they rusted out, the entire reflector housing is steel, and the bulb mount is aluminum. So they literally fell apart, separated from the bulb mount that was simply glued on. yes, glued, not welded, not screwed, not even clamped together. I have since replaced them with LED fogs, couldn't be happier to have brighter and instant on lights. never buying DEPO ever again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I Had Depo Fogs for about 3.5 years. They are in the garbage now as they rusted out, the entire reflector housing is steel, and the bulb mount is aluminum. So they literally fell apart, separated from the bulb mount that was simply glued on. yes, glued, not welded, not screwed, not even clamped together. I have since replaced them with LED fogs, couldn't be happier to have brighter and instant on lights. never buying DEPO ever again.
I guess I'll have to see how long mine lasts! :D

Anyway, I decided to seal up the 'vent' with some epoxy putty I had lying around. So far so good.. time will tell..

Thanks for all the input everyone! :)

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I guess I'll have to see how long mine lasts! :D

Anyway, I decided to seal up the 'vent' with some epoxy putty I had lying around. So far so good.. time will tell..

Thanks for all the input everyone! :)
I would epoxy puddy the whole rear area of the housing, then spray several coatings of rust proof paint. The reflector part and where the bulb mounts/rear cap screws into.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? There's already some condensation in the housing. HOW?! :confused:

I would epoxy puddy the whole rear area of the housing, then spray several coatings of rust proof paint. The reflector part and where the bulb mounts/rear cap screws into.
I agree. I'll probably do all those when I pull it this weekend. This is ridiculous, really. I don't understand where moisture is entering..

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Is there a rubber seal in the screw on cap? I know the OEMs had a white rubber sealing material at the back of the cap where the end of the housing rests against it. You could maybe use dielectric grease to help seal up the threads and housing.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Is there a rubber seal in the screw on cap? I know the OEMs had a white rubber sealing material at the back of the cap where the end of the housing rests against it. You could maybe use dielectric grease to help seal up the threads and housing.
The rubber seal is actually a very loose and fragile thin O-ring, and on the bulb mount side is uneven and doesn't have a smooth surface. The cap doesn't quite snap in as tightly as the OEM foglamp either. :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts