SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rec'd my new plugs. I'll put them in tonight and report back if they really make any measurable performance gains - via my butt o meter.

question - can I just put them in or do they need to be gapped?

another question - do I need any kind of lubricant or other material on the spark plug terminal?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Re: Denso Iridium Plugs - received. (23109VC)

I ordered mine on Monday night. Maybe they are waiting at home too

------------
BTW, 23109VC, I seem to be having better results with xylene than toluene for octane boosting. I've gone back and forth a couple of times now, and the xylene has been giving a smoother, stouter response, especially in the mid-range (at least according to my butt-o-meter). I added 2-gal, which gives an octane of about 94. Really running very nice at the moment.

Also, though there have been some posts here about xylene being more of a solvent than toluene, my research has shown that ordinary gasoline contains both toluene and xylene, though xylene in a smaller quantity. So, if there is concern about xylene and rubber/plastic, then we're all in trouble. The plastic funnel I'm using, of Chinese quality, hasn't melted yet either

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
I just rec'd my new plugs. I'll put them in tonight and report back if they really make any measurable performance gains - via my butt o meter.

I seriously doubt you will feel any measurable difference. Make sure that when you try your car out, there is no...tailwind...

Quote »
question - can I just put them in or do they need to be gapped?

I doubt they are gapped.

Quote »
another question - do I need any kind of lubricant or other material on the spark plug terminal?

Obviously, you should not attempt to take the old plugs out when the engine is warm. Here, we always coat the threads with anti-seize "grease".

Yannis

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aw c'mon guys....these plugs will add "5hp"...

given my mods..and my plans for future mods...what the heck.. might as well use them if they are "the best".

·
Registered
136 Posts

I have these plugs for 10,000 miles now. I notice faster starts, smoother idle and fast throttle response, all just slightly better than stock plugs. DO NOT check the plug gap!!! They are preset, you cannot change it, the center electrode is very thin and brittle. It is very easy to break the center electrode. The plugs should last a good 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: Denso Iridium Plugs - received. (gdogg16)

Read the instructions, the gap are "FACTORY GAPPED" and do not require gapping before install!! Even the OEM Volvo spark plugs are factory gapped, that is what the Volvo Tech told me. In my S60 R, I installed NGK Iridiums. And if you think the gapping could of been altered in some why of being shipped and moved while in storage at the parts store, each iridium spark plug comes with a card board sleeve that surrounds the gapping from being damaged, and even then, the spark plug is in it's own little box, so it won't get damaged.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Denso Iridium Plugs - received. (bouncer)

Anyone know how many pounds of torque should be applied when installing these plugs?

Thanks,
Andrew http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gdogg16 »
if you are worried about the electrode breaking from gapping the plug, then why the hell are you using them? Trust me, he can check the gapping....

Obviously you have not seen the center electrode on these. I just installed a set of the Iridium's 30 min ago, and the center electrode is half or less the diameter of the already tiny center electrode on Bosch Platinums. Smallest electrode I've ever seen by a good margin. It's much thinner and more fragile looking than the pencil lead on a mechanical pencil.

You should be able to check the gap, but you'd be nuts to adjust it on these. Besides, all plugs that I know of come pre-adjusted. No mechanic at the dealer is sitting there gapping plugs at $80/hr. It's out of the box and into the engine at every dealer from Lexus to Mercedes to Porsche.

=============

Driving Experience

Oh hell, I don't know. It's 59F outside and lightly misty (in other words, perfect weathe'R'), I've got 94-95 octane fuel in the tank and some new fancy-schmancy plugs. The car ran like a banshee, as well or better than it ever has. Did the plugs help? Maybe, more time might tell. But they certainly didn't hurt anything, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Denso Iridium Plugs - received. (mgotts)

Here's what Denso says:

Q. Do I need to set the gap?
A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power's ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.

Q. How do I gap Iridium plugs
A. Before attempting to gap any DENSO Iridium Power spark plug, please review the specification chart to see the factory-preset gap. In most cases your Iridium Power plugs do not need to be gapped. Even with small variations in the factory set gap the ultra-efficient firing power design will compensate for those small variations. Should you decide to re-gap your Iridium Power plug, use extreme caution as improper gapping may damage or destroy the Iridium center electrode or porcelain center. To increase the gap size: Step 1 Use needle nose pliers or spark plug gapping tool to bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. To decrease the gap size: Step 1 Use the same method as above, however bend the ground strap down to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN. Step 2 Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. WARNING: Failure to follow these directions may permanently damage the spark plug. Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.

Ref: http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php

As always, "The truth is out there..."

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so what is the consensus of people on this board.....

are these denso iridium plugs a total waste of money? what if you're running an aftermarket chip with a dp and/or exhaust?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (gdogg16)

how will playing with the gap on copper plugs affect performance?

will altering the gap on a copper plug affect the power of the car? can a properly gapped copper plug make MORE power than these "expensive" plugs?

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
how will playing with the gap on copper plugs affect performance?

will altering the gap on a copper plug affect the power of the car? can a properly gapped copper plug make MORE power than these "expensive" plugs?
it's all part of tuning. just because you have chip doesn't mean you are properly tuned. I bet if you dynoed and looked at your A/F charts you may be surprised at what you see. By changing the gap, you can create more power, it won't be much but its more. The only reason i say go with the cheapos is because there haven't been any proven gains with the more expensive plugs. You need to get a plug that is rated for your heat range and then take the stock gap, lets say..... .030 then bump it up to .028 and see how that goes. A lot of times this can fix detenation problems on a tuned car or create more power/smoother idles etc...

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote, originally posted by gdogg16 »
You guys should read this.
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...93&hl=
and this too
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum...st=15

From these posts multiple people say that the ceramic top has blown off and fallen into the engine. This would be extremely bad (probably seize the engine) and was wondering if anyone else has heard this or had this happen to them? Also, what are most people torqueing their plugs to (21 lbs etc)?

Thanks,
Andrew http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if the plug broke, it fell in the engine, and I needed a new one....somehow i think Volvo would deny my claim and say it's my fault...

i'm sure denso isn't goin to buy a new motor for me...

of course then I could add new pistons/rings/etc and build a 500hp motor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts