SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great experience getting my 2019 paint corrected and coated by LUSTR in Chicago. HIGHLY recommended if you are looking to do this in the Chicago area. Ivan is a paint wizard. My car (2 months hold) was as a friggin mess from the dealer using auto washes before I took delivery. Scratches all over the place, swirls visible by the naked eye, etc. Ivan and his team absolutely killed it. I wish it was a sunny day when I picked it up as these pictures do not do it justice.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
That looks beautiful. Now only if your state would allow you to get rid of the front plate for an even cleaner look.

Did you give PPF a thought when you got your Vehicle ceramic coated?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks beautiful. Now only if your state would allow you to get rid of the front plate for an even cleaner look.

Did you give PPF a thought when you got your Vehicle ceramic coated?
Lol. Tell me about it! I did give PPF a thought. Initially I was going to wrap the front, but ultimately decided not to. If money wasn't a concern, I absolutely would do it. However, I live in the city and while the wrap would help with rock chips on the front, my bigger concern is door dings, etc so wrapping the entire car would be too expensive. For me, the coating gives me what I want which is gloss and a car that is easy to wash. My Model 3 is also coated and I can wash the car in under 30 minutes at a DIY place (spray down, soap, rinse, spray Hydro2, blow dry). Once a month I hit the car with a mitt.

I am going to tint the windows in a week or so.

In case anyone is wondering, I highly prefer driving the Volvo over the model 3. The M3 is awesome, but the luxury of the Volvo plus the sound system wins every time. The Pilot Assist is closer than you think to Tesla's Auto Pilot system especially with the recent firmware challenges

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I did give PPF a thought. Initially I was going to wrap the front ... If money wasn't a concern, I absolutely would do it. ... my bigger concern is door dings, etc so wrapping the entire car would be too expensive.
Are you open to doing the PPF yourself? Several have done so and there is some guidance on this forum. For $1700 I bought two rolls (good enough for wrapping two cars) and did it myself to save some dinero but it takes some time as a newbie . . .

And nice pix by the way!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=527874&share_fid=17438&share_type=t

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank You...

Lol. Tell me about it! I did give PPF a thought. Initially I was going to wrap the front, but ultimately decided not to. If money wasn't a concern, I absolutely would do it. However, I live in the city and while the wrap would help with rock chips on the front, my bigger concern is door dings, etc so wrapping the entire car would be too expensive. For me, the coating gives me what I want which is gloss and a car that is easy to wash. My Model 3 is also coated and I can wash the car in under 30 minutes at a DIY place (spray down, soap, rinse, spray Hydro2, blow dry). Once a month I hit the car with a mitt.

In case anyone is wondering, I highly prefer driving the Volvo over the model 3. The M3 is awesome, but the luxury of the Volvo plus the sound system wins every time. The Pilot Assist is closer than you think to Tesla's Auto Pilot system especially with the recent firmware challenges
I appreciated your comment on the Pilot Assist - good to know!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Never considered it. I am now vey interested after reading through your post
With your paint as perfect as it can be, there is no better time to do it. As soon as my OSD arrived, I essentially garaged the beauty for a month to help prevent damaging the paint while I PPF'd at nights 2000-0100 while the kids were sleeping. Wish I took some (day)time off instead!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Just to add to @likeXC90's suggestion

I put PPF on many of my vehicles over the years, since ~ 2002. I also install the thicker (20 to 40mil) clear film for headlight & foglight lenses on them.

For bursting blue, there is a matte film Volvo has as accessory:
https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-515675/2018

It is only recommended for use on Bursting Blue vehicles, so I don't know how it looks on Denim Blue or other colors.

Back on the topic of general clear film PPFs, some of them come in translucent matte instead of clear gloss. Make sure you check to make sure that it is the finish you prefer. I've bought a matte film one time thinking it was gloss. I ended up applying it anyway, but it does look different.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Looks great, that denim blue is awesome! Those wheels are nice too!

·
Registered
73 Posts

I'm in the same boat as my other car is a Tesla Model 3 LR. My family and I have come to love and rely on Autopilot and a big part of our interest in the XC90 is Pilot Assist. Can you elaborate on how close Volvo's Pilot Assist is to Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts