1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
381 Posts
Encouraging news for Volvo and it appears the new XC90 is giving the boost that they expected. It does seem they are pleasantly surprised by the fact that, at least the early adopters, are opting for the higher end models. I'll look forward to seeing how the Q2 numbers shake out in the US, which has been holding Volvo back the past few years.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Also great to hear they are running three shifts at the factory. Maybe the T6 I ordered in early July will show up sooner than January after all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I ordered in late July and my Dealer has been told delivery to be around Oct. 24. But I'm not going to be overly optimistic about it.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I think they need 4 shifts lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is this surprising? The relative difference in price between the two trims is laughable. Especially when you consider that you don't get the signature Thor lights on the base momentum. At least here in Canada, once you add the lights the price bump to go R-Design is $2k or Inscription is ~$4k. I would've ordered an inscription if it weren't for the friggin wood trim. Instead I'm waiting 5 months more for an R-Design. The ideal car would've been somewhere in the middle for me. R-Design exterior with inscription interior and aluminum trim. I'm going to miss not having ventilated seats, the rear sunshade and the leather dash. Not enough to deal with that wood trim though :).

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is this surprising? The relative difference in price between the two trims is laughable. Especially when you consider that you don't get the signature Thor lights on the base momentum. At least here in Canada, once you add the lights the price bump to go R-Design is $2k or Inscription is ~$4k. I would've ordered an inscription if it weren't for the friggin wood trim. Instead I'm waiting 5 months more for an R-Design. The ideal car would've been somewhere in the middle for me. R-Design exterior with inscription interior and aluminum trim. I'm going to miss not having ventilated seats, the rear sunshade and the leather dash. Not enough to deal with that wood trim though :).
You can always change the trim but you can never add ventilated seats at a later stage. The trim is available as a Volvo accessory and the installation shouldn't be difficult although is recommend you have professional do it. I've had the same problem on my Miata and just ordered the trim and had it replaced in 30 minutes. The Volvo trim is available as an accessory on Volvo's official accessories page. Below is the link
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-ca/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-482217/2016
My suggestion, order the inscription.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Is this surprising? The relative difference in price between the two trims is laughable. Especially when you consider that you don't get the signature Thor lights on the base momentum. At least here in Canada, once you add the lights the price bump to go R-Design is $2k or Inscription is ~$4k.
In Europe the price-difference is much higher and all type of equipment, standard in US and Canada vehicles, we have to order additionally as individual options or in packages. Never the less, European customers are buying high-level trimmed XC90's as well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can always change the trim but you can never add ventilated seats at a later stage. The trim is available as a Volvo accessory and the installation shouldn't be difficult although is recommend you have professional do it. I've had the same problem on my Miata and just ordered the trim and had it replaced in 30 minutes. The Volvo trim is available as an accessory on Volvo's official accessories page. Below is the link
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-ca/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-482217/2016
My suggestion, order the inscription.
Good luck
Interesting. Is there a ballpark for the cost of this trim?

Think the same would apply to the exterior as all I see on the accessories is those urban styling kits which aren't too hot as far as I'm concerned. Now that the decision was made for the r-design, I'd probably need to do the full exterior too. Especially the black grill. The Inscription chrome just annoys me. :(

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sounds like they still have some work to do in US and Asia. There's no denying the success is primarily led by European sales. I'd love to see the numbers break out, but it is promising they're building a US plant capable of 100K cars.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Sounds like they still have some work to do in US and Asia. There's no denying the success is primarily led by European sales. I'd love to see the numbers break out, but it is promising they're building a US plant capable of 100K cars.
This year most orders are from EU. I estimate is about 1/4 is from US, 1/8 from China. This is based on the recalled number 1352 cars in China. So EU is the main market this year. When EU order number becomes less and US gets more cars in dealer stock, US sales will catch up. Story in China is different as S60L and XC60 sell much more than XC90 there due to the big price gap up.

·
Registered
750 Posts
This year most orders are from EU. I estimate is about 1/4 is from US, 1/8 from China. This is based on the recalled number 1352 cars in China. So EU is the main market this year. When EU order number becomes less and US gets more cars in dealer stock, US sales will catch up. Story in China is different as S60L and XC60 sell much more than XC90 there due to the big price gap up.
I would almost be surprised if it is even 1/4, but I know that US is definitely the largest market for 3 row SUVs and let's face it, early-on the original XC90 did quite well here.

Ultimately, the car will be a success here, they just need more of them on the road for people to see, and then they need more at the dealer. Not so many Americans are willing to order cars, they like to buy right away and/or wait a day or two for a transfer. So right now, the XC90 is extremely limited in the US.

The availability, full MSRP pricing and the newness and concerns of first model year and so many new electronics from Volvo put me at pause in buying one. I ended up buying a brand new 2016 MDX SH-AWD Advance this weekend. Trading in my Volvo was also a nightmarish experience. 3 Acura dealers and a BMW dealer basically told me nobody wants Volvo, and the dealers send them to auction immediately or try to unload them to local Volvo dealers. It was weird hearing the same speech from the sales manager at four different dealers. I ultimately ended up having to call Volvo dealers myself and ask them if they wanted my car and arranged a trade-in transfer as no dealer wanted my Volvo which was admittedly in perfect condition, they just have a "No Volvo on lot" policy. Multiple dealers, it was so strange to hear.

That also put me at pause in sinking $66K in a new Volvo. I still think Volvo needs a little time, so perhaps in 3-4 years once the dust settles and supply and brand reputation is sorted out, I will come back to Volvo. Ultimately, I got a loaded Acura for $52K ($56K sticker) that matched the features and functionality of the XC90 at $66K (more or less). Despite getting a great discount when buying our 2013 XC60, it is the worst depreciation I've ever had on a car. MDX's and Acura have some of the highest resale values on the market, so that played into my decision.

I have no fear Volvo will get where they need to be, they have a great package.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trading in my Volvo was also a nightmarish experience. 3 Acura dealers and a BMW dealer basically told me nobody wants Volvo, and the dealers send them to auction immediately or try to unload them to local Volvo dealers. It was weird hearing the same speech from the sales manager at four different dealers. I ultimately ended up having to call Volvo dealers myself and ask them if they wanted my car and arranged a trade-in transfer as no dealer wanted my Volvo which was admittedly in perfect condition, they just have a "No Volvo on lot" policy. Multiple dealers, it was so strange to hear.
That is what happens when you are in a small market...I usually see XC90s or XC60s or XC70s on the local Toyota, Audi, Subaru or Infiniti lots (which is another problem). Your local BMW/Acura dealers are just taking advantage of people who believe the classic "this car is undesirable" story.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That is what happens when you are in a small market...I usually see XC90s or XC60s or XC70s on the local Toyota, Audi, Subaru or Infiniti lots (which is another problem). Your local BMW/Acura dealers are just taking advantage of people who believe the classic "this car is undesirable" story.
Well I did start in Austin with two dealers (Acura and BMW), but I ended up buying the car in Houston. I went to two dealers (in Houston) who both claimed they're a Top 10 Acura dealer in the US. One is the largest in Texas, and they said the same thing.

That said, Austin is really no longer a small market, we are the 11th largest city in the US and the fastest growing so likely in top 10 now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population

Houston is the 4th. Also, Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio are all very close drive from one another so the car buying competition is fierce as every dealer is competing with others for some business (e.g. many people will travel to another city for a deal since it's a 1.5-3 hour drive from any city to another).

That said, even in Houston, one of the largest car markets, they just didn't want the Volvos. According to them (and Austin dealers), "Volvos are niche products and we have no success in marketing them. The few people that want Volvos, tend to just walk into Volvo dealers and buy there. We used to try selling them, but now are owner/manager/insert important person here just tells us to move them immediately to auction or transfer them to a Volvo dealer." It was almost scripted, all of them said more or less the same statement. Meanwhile, there are countless BMW, Lexus, Mercedes for sale at these Acura dealers.

As far as the "classic story", they did NOT buy the car. They would rather not have the car and let the Volvo dealer buy it, giving up all potential profit on that vehicle. My friend who works for a Toyota dealer in California said more profit is made on flipping used cars. The fact that they didn't BUY my car and forced me to find someone to buy the car (another Volvo dealer) is telling. This is multiple dealers just politely refusing my car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was just looking at the configurator in Sweden and it seems like there is only Inscription and RD to choose from. Is momentum US only ? That would kind of explain why 75% of the orders are inscription.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was just looking at the configurator in Sweden and it seems like there is only Inscription and RD to choose from. Is momentum US only ? That would kind of explain why 75% of the orders are inscription.
With the XC90 being a really expensive car in Sweden in combination with limited supply they revoked the Momentum option from the Swedish market after a short while. It will return later on when supply increases. In Germany and some other markets they also offer Kinetic, which is one step below Momentum.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.