SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried STFA with no luck, but is removing the DEM as simple as it appears? I'm trying to talk my dad through the process as I am not with the car and need to send it off to xemodex. He's worried that there's more involved? Could anyone clarify? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Try to search DEM shield install, I think it should be described there. Sorry for no help, on the phone. It was easy job on my car but it came from land of no snow ..

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Should be super easy. From what I recall you just remove the few screws holding it in and keep your hand on it--they've been known to just fall out and hit the ground (which you don't want to happen!). Of course if it has some rust it may require a bit of tugging to remove.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay great, thanks. didn't know if removing it would allow drainage of diff fluid, just wanted to be prepared!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just removed mine and had it repaired by XeModeX a month or two ago. Jack up the car safely and a 7mm allen wrench will remove the two screws and I used two small flat-head screw drivers to remove the connectors for the sensors. The connectors were the most difficult part of the job. Take your time so you don't break them because I imagine they would be a pain to replace. No fluid came out of mine with the removal but remember you can't drive it. I kept mine on stands while I waited for the part to be returned. Depending if you have codes stored, you will have to clear them once you re-install it.

On a side note, the dealership told me I had a faulty DEM. I went the XeModeX route for the repair but I still have the same symptoms as before and they say it is NOT the DEM. I cleared all codes with VIDA/DICE and nothing has shown up since but I still have the hesitation/stuttering and it feels like the car sometimes drives into a headwind and then it releases. I'm a new member so I'm still searching for similar symptoms and their fixes but there are a ton of possibilities and I'm slowly plugging away at them as my wallet permits.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I just removed mine and had it repaired by XeModeX a month or two ago. Jack up the car safely and a 7mm allen wrench will remove the two screws and I used two small flat-head screw drivers to remove the connectors for the sensors. The connectors were the most difficult part of the job. Take your time so you don't break them because I imagine they would be a pain to replace. No fluid came out of mine with the removal but remember you can't drive it. I kept mine on stands while I waited for the part to be returned. Depending if you have codes stored, you will have to clear them once you re-install it.

On a side note, the dealership told me I had a faulty DEM. I went the XeModeX route for the repair but I still have the same symptoms as before and they say it is NOT the DEM. I cleared all codes with VIDA/DICE and nothing has shown up since but I still have the hesitation/stuttering and it feels like the car sometimes drives into a headwind and then it releases. I'm a new member so I'm still searching for similar symptoms and their fixes but there are a ton of possibilities and I'm slowly plugging away at them as my wallet permits.
Try unplugging you trunk fuse #14 (I believe) which disables the angle gear/haldex system and see if you still have hesitation in the drive train. What codes were you getting in VIDA? hesitation/stuttering could be a whole hand full of problems ranging from fuel related, engine related or drive train related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try unplugging you trunk fuse #14 (I believe) which disables the angle gear/haldex system and see if you still have hesitation in the drive train. What codes were you getting in VIDA? hesitation/stuttering could be a whole hand full of problems ranging from fuel related, engine related or drive train related.
Thanks for the help. That's the weird part. After replacing the DEM with the XeModeX repaired version and clearing the codes it didn't seem *as bad* as it was before but I feel something wrong still. I just pulled the AWD fuse in the rear (#17) and took it for a quick ride but its quite windy today so I think I have to evaluate it again. The only code that that the dealership provided was "BCM-0095 Communication between control units Communication problems with DEM". But when the problem persisted and I brought it back to the dealer they said the DEM was still faulty. I called XeModeX and they said they had queried the module and discovered it had two codes stored as DEM-0001 and DEM-0007. I'll run without it enabled for a few days and see what happens. If it runs good with it disabled I'll put the fuse back in, clear the codes (Anti-Skid Service Required) and focus on the AWD system, probably the AWD pump or the P&T sensor.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Thanks for the help. That's the weird part. After replacing the DEM with the XeModeX repaired version and clearing the codes it didn't seem *as bad* as it was before but I feel something wrong still. I just pulled the AWD fuse in the rear (#17) and took it for a quick ride but its quite windy today so I think I have to evaluate it again. The only code that that the dealership provided was "BCM-0095 Communication between control units Communication problems with DEM". But when the problem persisted and I brought it back to the dealer they said the DEM was still faulty. I called XeModeX and they said they had queried the module and discovered it had two codes stored as DEM-0001 and DEM-0007. I'll run without it enabled for a few days and see what happens. If it runs good with it disabled I'll put the fuse back in, clear the codes (Anti-Skid Service Required) and focus on the AWD system, probably the AWD pump or the P&T sensor.
I'm also getting the BCM-0095 code and DEM-000B Oil Pressure Faulty Valve.

My dealer says it's a faulty DEM. I'm planning on taking the car home to Toronto, have a local indy remove the DEM and take it to ZeModeX and have them repair it. I'm reluctant to spend the $$ if the hesitation is going to continue after the DEM is rebuilt. The hesitation and Anti-Skid Service message come on at random - sometimes weeks apart and it's been that way for a couple of years now. :confused:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Update on my DEM issue is not good. On Sunday I drove to my brother's home and took out the DEM, which went smoother than I had expected (10 minutes under the R).

On Monday I took it to Xemodex and they did a repair on it in about 3 hours. I reinstalled it and drove to my parents' place with no issues.

This morning I was about 20 miles down the road when the Anti-skid message reappeared, along with the severe vibration. :mad:

Calling Zemodex from the shoulder of Hwy 407 to try to find a solution didn't have a positive result, but Tony was very helpful and apologetic.

Bottom line is that I drove home with the message and the vibration coming and going just as it did on the trip there. Now I'm back where I started but almost $500 lighter in the pocket.

I'll be in touch with them again tomorrow to try to resolve this pain the butt issue.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You guys seem crazy about DEM'S !!

SteveP: Could your vibration come from the prop shaft being out of balance, is the bearing still good. The infamous collar sleeve, for the angle gear, could be failing slowly... There is plenty of stuff that enters into an AWD failure.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The vibration is only there when the Anti-Skid error message comes on. When it's out the car rides as smooth as an 8 year old car with 167K. The vibration builds a few moments before the error message comes on, which leads me to believe it's still a DEM issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts