SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their's repaired after it stopped communicating? Euro mechanic quoted me 3k for a new one, which isn't worth it for me. I found this service on Ebay that says they repair them for just $225. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Diffe...Repair-Service-DEM-S60-XC90-V70-/231147446380

Should I be able to just send it in to them then plug it back in when I get it back and then have my AWD back? They have good feedback but I wanted to see if anyone has done something similar with their R. Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had seen them montioned and they seem to have a good reputation, though they are about $200 more expensive it looks like.

Has anyone had this done that could comment on the process, results?

·
Registered
445 Posts
My haldex went out this year, we sent it to XemodeX and it costed around 800$ to get a complete rebuild and they offer life time warranty.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Agree to contact xemodex. I have had them fix 2 DEMs (one for me and one for a relative). No problems with either one. They are great, and yes the cost is $450 or so.

·
Registered
228 Posts
And no you can not drive the car with the DEM out. The DEM holds the sensors in place, found that out when I jumped 12 volts to the pump with DEM off, should have seen that was going to be an issue, messy.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks. Was it relatively easy to take out and put back in?
Yes, you can clearly see the haldex when looking underneath and it only takes a couple of screws to get off if i remember its torx screws, be carefull not to damage the interior while removing it its really sensitive.

·
Registered
8,789 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone had their's repaired after it stopped communicating? Euro mechanic quoted me 3k for a new one, which isn't worth it for me. I found this service on Ebay that says they repair them for just $225. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Diffe...Repair-Service-DEM-S60-XC90-V70-/231147446380

Should I be able to just send it in to them then plug it back in when I get it back and then have my AWD back? They have good feedback but I wanted to see if anyone has done something similar with their R. Thanks.

I was ready to send my Haldex out to xemodex, but after reading thru more posts (this one specifically) I see that there are multiple places that can do the repair service. I see three different companies, Xemodex $400, BBA Reman $225, and ASI $109. I'm sure you get what you pay for? Any input on these places?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I used BBA Reman to repair my DEM without any issues - AWD works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another repair option...

This post is too long, but might save you a lot of time in the long run.

If anyone still has DEM questions, I'd like to share my experience. I have a 2004 XC90 w/254K that recently had the anti-skid message appear. I spent a lot of time in this forum and others gathering info; then troubleshooting and testing. After checking the power, CAN communication and the pump, I determined the board was dead. Most everything I found pointed to either replacing with a new part from Volvo or sending it for repair. My dilemma was that I couldn't be more than just a few days without a car, so Xemodex seemed to be the best option, due to the fast turnaround and price compared to new. But their price; after you factor in shipping is now over $700..... and I felt silly even considering spending 1/2 the car's value for this service.

Then I found ASI.... Great price, but still no response to my inquiries to this day.

Since I didn't know how long ASI would have my board, I decided to hunt for a cheap donor so I could send my DEM in to ASI and still drive the car. I wasn't having much luck keeping the cost less that $60/70. After a few days of searching on eBay, calling local salvage yards, convos w/ my local Volvo-only indy shop, I saw it. It was a comment on eBay. Most of the DEM's on eBay at the time had 1-2 stars... and most of you know why. These don't work on a different car than what they were first programmed to, right? The comment I read stated that if you match the part numbers of the replacement DEM to your old one, then it works fine. Ok, part numbers? There are 6 sets of numbers on my DEM... do they all have to match perfect? When you look at the label, it looks like there is a production date code as well... does that have to match?

So I matched as many numbers starting from the top left. I managed to find an eBay unit with 4/6 matching:

5WP22201 | 05 | 102160
HAP511 | |

I bought it, installed it and the Anti-skid/BCM-0094/CEM-1A64 code were immediately remedied.

$84.42.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is good stuff. I have those same codes. Assuming I can find an exact match on EBay, is it plug and play? Also anyone had any experience with the IPD Dem cover for added protection?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts