SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I had some time to trouble shoot the DEM on a component level this week. And I think it turned out pretty good, time will tell!

So, the DEM

Some time after

And the party time

Some rework

Cleaned housing, and prepared for new rubber seal

·
Registered
844 Posts
What did u re-solder? Can u move your pics to a different program and post arrows to all you fixed?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys,
So, first conclusion is, no (at least OEM) heat shield, by by DEM. Once when Haldex cover gets really hot it is very bad. That would make summer traffic jam situation, or stuck in snow situation potential "hart attack" for most all components, including solder joints. When you do not have speed but only high heat dissipation from exhaust it is better to give up and stop the engine :/

I'm not quite sure if I should go in public about rework, but it is all about common sense. I will test that DEM after I return from Africa, where I am going today morning.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought this thread was gonna be:

"Congratulation! You've just had your DEM fail! What are you gonna do next?!"
Lol, luckily it is different story. :D
This DEM is working, it would give me often errors in communication with ABS and steering wheel angle. May be the problem will still be present, but I had to answer my thirst, if you know what I mean. :) Here in my place Volvo dealer is asking $3000+ for new DEM, and situation is similar with everything else (haldex heat shield is circa $80) and I can't live with that. If I can work on a multiple million dollar RIG, maintain it and fix it, then I can on hobby bases have some fun with my Rosie too.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
What did u re-solder? Can u move your pics to a different program and post arrows to all you fixed?
It looks pretty obvious in that third photo - even without any arrows. Look at the solder points.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Surface mount boards are a PITA to work on!
Even worse when they are multi-layer. :p
I'm guessing those three components you replaced with the heat sinks are basic transistors.
Cheers!
Ron

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Surface mount boards are a PITA to work on!
Even worse when they are multi-layer. :p
I'm guessing those three components you replaced with the heat sinks are basic transistors.
Cheers!
Ron
SMD is my favorite!
Most of modules like that one can be broken to basic circuits, and these are the ones which fail often.
Here is fo instance one valve controller, one dc motor control, and power supply.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Search here. Iirc someone figured out that the oe heat shield from another Volvo (new s80?) fit w little to no modification

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
Great work, no doubt!

I'd be very concerned with Volvo craftsmanship if the heat from that far back on the exhaust pipe was sufficient enough to jump across the air gap and penetrate the DEM housing and cause solder joints to break apart.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Yup, that's it....sorry I didn't have time to search. Thanks for finding it!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So DEM story continues.
I often get "anti skid system service required" message and after "reboot" it works fine...
Volvo dealership recommended to replace pressure/temp sensor... And I got my hand on one, replaced it and the same thing is repeating all over.

The symptomps are;
When accelerating (in second or first) I can hear/feel the AOC engage in steps. 3 or 4 steps can be recognized. Activation is easily noticable at 2500, 3000 & 3500 RPM...
When making a hard turn (full or 3/4 of a turn) I hear repetitive klicking noise from rear. It seems like AOC is locking front & rear diff together...

Any toughts?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys I really need help!
The AWD problem is getting worse. When I reverse the caR and add some steering I get really hard impact from the AWD and it is followed with "anti skid system service required"message. Collar is still holding (but I'm gonna re seal it & make a visual inspection when I get back home).
I know the e-brake is making similar problem but it is not the case.

Have you heard that it might be caused by bad reverse lights switch? Maybe AOC should open in reverse? New switch is on it's way from iPD.

I am on my way to work now and will stay here 30 days, but if you guys can give me any advice it would make me sleep easier.

I am becoming a bit paranoid. If somebody can recommend which dice to buy I'll get one strAight away to help me with this.

Hope you understand my feelings.

Anyone

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for that info.
I'll order dice and try it when i came back home.

I've been searching and have found this dude having similar problem:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Me-I-m-Not-The-Only-One&p=1339836&viewfull=1

I'm guessing that reverse light switch might be the first thing to change, cause mine is not working all the time. Then I'll reset the controller and see what is going on.

Have you guys had or heard of souch a problem?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.