SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's kind of weird. The other night I went out when I was damp and got some chirping from the fronts, but the rear were still pushing along. Today got onto a gravel road a performe some full stop a rolling pulls. Around 75% of the time the AWD works. Also been noticing the same thing at stop lights.

Going to check the fluid level and all the electrical connections before troubleshooting faulty electronics.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
DEM0006 sounds like a pump issue from my cursory googling.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Argh that sucks. Hope it gets sorted with a minimal expenditure of time and money before winter hits. It was an overcast rainy 52 degrees most of the day here; it's coming....

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here we go. Quick search brought up Xemodex, they have the pump and filter for $422.50CDN and they are located less than 50km from me, and I'm sure if I searched more I can find it for less.

FYI: Xemodex states this kit will service 2003-2008 AWD Volvos.

http://xemodex.com/us/product/haldex-awd-pump-brand-new-for-volvo/

Volvo PN
Pump: 30783079, 8689664
Filter: 30787687
Fluid: 31325136, 31367941

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
How does a DEM code transfer to a bad AOC?
DEM is the DEM module
I think XeMODeX rebuilds those for $325

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does a DEM code transfer to a bad AOC?
DEM is the DEM module
I think XeMODeX rebuilds those for $325
Don't know what you're referring to, but as far as I can tell through VIDA my DEM is communicating with the CEM and is functioning properly. I haven't tested the DEM pin out to see if it's actually supplying 12v to the pump when needed, and I'm sure the AOC unit as a whole is fine.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Test results are in and the pump is proven faulty. Going to pick-up a the necessary parts and get to it. Hoping to get it on my buddy's lift sometime this week, time to get a case of beer. I've pulled the AWD fuse in case the pump shorts and damages the DEM.

Oh, and if I really want to be cheap I can scour the junk yards for a pump. I've seen plenty of AWD Volvos that I could pick from :D. Could possibly buy 3 or 4 pumps for the price of one, test them all, and keep the others as spares.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Change the haldex and diff fluid while you're at it. No downside.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Oh, and if I really want to be cheap I can scour the junk yards for a pump. I've seen plenty of AWD Volvos that I could pick from :D. Could possibly buy 3 or 4 pumps for the price of one, test them all, and keep the others as spares.
Bah, all the yards here are closed to the public.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ending up purchasing this unit

Dear ----,

Hello
Shipping is free, I will put reduced value on the item.
Delivery time 2-3 weeks.
Thank you

- haldex-part
Was $235.45USD + free shipping :thumbup: Listing changed after I purchased it.

Tried contacting Xemodex for local pick-up, but was unable to get an answer from them. I'll pruchase fluid and filter locally. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I wait for this pump I'm preparing myself for any issues along the way. I've started to spray down the bolts with rust penetrating oil to get it to soak in as much a possible.

VIDA instruction has a whole bunch of Volvo proprietary tools which I'm sure I can get away with just my basic set. One issue that I can foresee is the pinion seal on the Haldex can start to leak once the flange has been removed and will need to be replaced. Volvo shows a specific puller to extract this seal. Anyone have experience with this job? Can another method or tool be used instead of the Volvo tool to extract the seal?

Haldex flange counter-hold, any suggestion? I'll be purchasing new hardware for the driveshaft, so I figure I could place a few bolts in the flange and wedge a bar in between them of a counter-hold.

Besides a case of beer and my favorite mix tape :p, any other suggestion?

Cheers.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've done dozens of these pumps and never had a pinion seal leak, so you're probably in the clear.

If the car is in park, you should be able to loosen the bolts. I always use impact tools, so I'm not positive. You'll need to put it in neutral to rotate it though to reach them all, and to find the through-hole to knock the propshaft off the flange. I use a bent cheap punch to get it out. You'll also need to hang the exhaust down so you can drop the propshaft centre support far enough to remove the shaft from the flange.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I installed a pressure sensor in the 07 I bought and everything seems to be working just fine now!.
Even with both codes I always do that first, it usually solves the problem

1 - 20 of 30 Posts