SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as you may recall, we ordered on Christmas Eve a fully-loaded Crystal White Inscription XC90. Original estimate was May, then "May/June," now "unclear."

Have started pinging other dealers. Closest I'm getting so far is a May 31 delivery date, and we need the car by week of May 9th.

Our local dealer where we placed the deposit is in Marin County (just north of SF). Does anybody have any knowledge re: dealers' allocations in our old stomping grounds down in LA (or anywhere else within about the same 400 mile radius)? We'd be more than happy to fly down there and drive back up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
FWIW, I ordered a T8 from Lawrence in Walnut Creek in mid-November, with a March delivery estimate. This was before the XC90 won just about every end-of-year award it was eligible for, though, so wait times are probably different now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I ordered a few weeks before you. Delivery estimate was end of feb. and have not been given an update since then I gave my credit card for 1k downpayment, but I never saw it charged. Does this suggest anything?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered and paid a deposit on Dec 31st and was told expect the car end of Feb. or March. I have not had any updates since. I wonder if it is because it is a Momentum. I am fully regretting buying the momentum, but, and I am probably the only person in the world, did not like the Inscription seats. When I sat in the momentum seat, it was so comfortable.. When I sat in the Inscription, I felt like I was sitting on top of the seat and it did not feel comfortable at all. I was so disappointed. Now I am having buyers remorse. I loved the look of the XC90, not knowing there were two different exterior looks. I definitely prefer the chrome grill and spoke rims. My momentum, with TTL is just under 70k. I haven't asked the dealership yet, but, I wonder if I can change my order.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I haven't asked the dealership yet, but, I wonder if I can change my order.
I would ask - and not delay. All they can say is no - or maybe they even have a way to cancel the order and get another one into the system with a vehicle configured more to your liking ...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
So as you may recall, we ordered on Christmas Eve a fully-loaded Crystal White Inscription XC90. Original estimate was May, then "May/June," now "unclear."

Have started pinging other dealers. Closest I'm getting so far is a May 31 delivery date, and we need the car by week of May 9th.

Our local dealer where we placed the deposit is in Marin County (just north of SF). Does anybody have any knowledge re: dealers' allocations in our old stomping grounds down in LA (or anywhere else within about the same 400 mile radius)? We'd be more than happy to fly down there and drive back up.
Here's one at Park Place Volvo without 4C.
I don't know how you guys do it, once I decided I was buying an XC90, I was happy to just choose from the available cars. The idea of waiting would kill me!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, thanks for all the interesting feedback.

@ssabarringer: yes, orders can be changed... up to a certain point. Call without delay.

@brandeeno: very interesting, thank you.

@All: things continue to get weirder. Having now spoken with several other dealers, I just found out I should have at LEAST had an order number (I think it was called an "RO" number?) ... but nope, not even that. Matter of fact, the ONLY thing I have is a little printout from one of those portable POS machines simply showing a generic "1,000.00" purchase from my credit card. Nothing more.

Have made SOME headway with other dealers, two of which will be able to tell me within 24 hours an expected delivery day with accuracy, I'm told, of about +/-5 days, but in any event, roughly mid- to late-April, and in any event, not May/June or beyond....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
... the ONLY thing I have is a little printout from one of those portable POS machines simply showing a generic "1,000.00" purchase from my credit card. Nothing more.
I find that bizarre ... no contract, no deal sheet, no nothing? In this day and age I would think every dealer has an automation system to keep track of everything. And I would think that a sales exec would want to be your advocate, keep you informed every step along the way, etc. Isn't that one of the ways one builds on repeat business and referrals?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I find that bizarre ... no contract, no deal sheet, no nothing? In this day and age I would think every dealer has an automation system to keep track of everything. And I would think that a sales exec would want to be your advocate, keep you informed every step along the way, etc. Isn't that one of the ways one builds on repeat business and referrals?
Exactly why we've gone from uncertain, to confused, to anxious, to concerned, to annoyed, to almost pissed off.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Exactly why we've gone from uncertain, to confused, to anxious, to concerned, to annoyed, to almost pissed off.
Quite a few threads here over the last year detailing weird ordering experiences. Seem to remember most worked out just fine, but the dealer communication seems very hit and miss.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can't remember why you needed it by May 9th. We ordered our T6 Inscription the end of November & it is due for delivery Feb. 12th. We have an '05 Toyota Sienna minivan that is on its last leg. (I love that van.) We had to travel to Charleston, SC over this past weekend (7+ hour drive each way), and since our car had not been delivered yet, our dealer gave us a '14 XC60 for our trip. The car he gave us had 41K miles on it, and he was aware of the mileage we would be putting on it. We picked it up on Thursday and returned it the following Tuesday. Originally, he was planning on giving us a fully loaded Town & Country minivan to drive, but it sold before we picked up the vehicle. You might get your dealer to agree to a similar generous deal.

By the way, it confirmed my decision to get the larger XC90 as well as to get it in light exterior/interior. The XC60 we drove was black on black and showed every speck of dirt when we returned it. We were even on good behavior and tried extra hard to keep it clean while we had it. We had 2 adults & 2 teenagers traveling.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should be getting some dealer updates later today (and tomorrow) at the latest..... I'll report back later.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Does anybody know approx how far ahead of the US delivery date does the car go into manufacturing?
I have an estimated delivery of mid-March. with a manufacturing date of last week of Jan, so something like six weeks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
how do you know the manufacturing date?
My sales guy showed me the entry in the dealership's order book, which had the options ordered as well as the build date.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so after calling all the major Volvo dealers in SF, LA, OC, and SD, here's the new info I've learned:

1. NONE of them can understand why I don't have a build order or ETA nearly a month after placing our deposit at our local dealer; everyone says that's just weird and they have no explanation other than, they must have forgotten to place the order (go figure?)

2. Current ETAs from dealers if I place order now, based on previous customer order/ETA data points:

- one dealer says May 31
- another says 90% 90-100 days (late April to early May)
- other dealers say "3-4 months" (late april - late May)
- one dealer says that all other dealers are "BS'ing" me, that it's really 6 months now

So we have several options at this point:

1. Just wait and gamble on our current order placed back in December (I should have an update tomorrow)

2. Cancel and go with a dealer who is saying "May 31 delivery" but that they would give us a loaner car (possibly an XC90, probably an XC60) from middle of May at no cost

3. Cancel and go with a dealer who is saying 90-100 days with 90-95% likelihood

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
It's likely, and this has been discussed in other threads, that you may be seeing allocation issues. Apparently, as described by others, a dealer only has a certain number of order spots.
One dealer may have none open, while another down the street may have open spots. So it can be all over the board.

With that said, your dealer may have been our of Inscription allocations. If they don't have a spot, they can't order it. So it may be that they've got your deposit and what you'd like, but cannot input it into their order slot until one is available.

Reach out GrecianVolvo - a moderator on this site, who is in your area. He can help you further understand the process.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts