SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a 2.4T and am wondering how good a deal it is to take delivery in Europe. How much do you really save, are there any additional costs to be aware of (or hassles). Looking for advice and experiences. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. I took European delivery of a cross-country recently and everything went flawlessly. I only did it for the savings and I got about 14% off. While there I met someone who works for Ford and he said he was taking European delivery because it saved more than Ford's A-plan (employee discount plan).<P>There were no hidden costs...really. I had to pay one bus fair (about $8 american) and one night hotel (about $100 american) and food. I flew out Saturday at 8pm and they considered that my required "Saturday stayover." I landed Sunday, went to the factory Monday, drove the car 7 miles then came back Tuesday. Overall, it was worth it. I got more car for less money and I'm planning another trip for my T5 in the spring. If you have specific questions, feel free to email me.<P>kevinr<p>[This message has been edited by krod03079 (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by njruss:<BR><B>I am considering a 2.4T and am wondering how good a deal it is to take delivery in Europe. How much do you really save, are there any additional costs to be aware of (or hassles). Looking for advice and experiences. Thanks! </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I picked up my S60 T5 last April. I actually saved about $3500 than in it were picked up here in the USA--the 10% savings between sticker price and they didn't charge the $625 shipping fee. My hotel was paid in Goteborg, and Volvo picked me up at the airport, sent me to the hotel, then picked me up the next day to go to the factory. Had a nice lunch (Swedish meatballs, natch) and a tour of the S80/V70 production line. When I went Volvo paid for the entire trip and one hotel night, I think now they just give you an $800 credit to your travel, but I thought if you stayed in Goteborg they sprung for the hotel for one night.<P>Anyway, it was totally worth it. I drove down to Copenhagen, spent a few nights there, then shot down to Den Haag to see tulips, then dropped off the car in Brussels. Totally a nice trip. The only drawback is the wait to order the car and the wait to have it shipped back. But at least you can order the car EXACTLY the way you want it--mine came just as I'd specified. <P>As it turns out, I got my order confirmation about the same time that they mandated the sunroof with the automatic transmission--I couldn't use the sunroof because of the lack of headroom, but I wanted the Geartronic so my wife could drive. Everything turned out OK, but I think I have the only Geartronic T5 without sunroof in the entire country!!<P>Now all I need is a BSR power upgrade to 300 hp and life will be perfect. . . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd just add one thing to previous posts.<P>If you are buying a model where the local dealer is selling it at a significant discount to MSRP, you lose much of your EuroDelivery advantage. When a car is hot and dealers are asking and receiving at or close to MSRP, that's when you come out way ahead. Of course, there are other considerations but hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts