SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This really started a few years back knowing we would need a new car in 2H-2021. I think we were pretty much set on going with a Volvo (our first, family of Volkswagens), an XC60, and going via OSD. What we didn't count on was the pandemic, but in the end we were ok with direct-ship and have to say it does afford some flexibility with the actual vacation planning.

Took delivery this past Friday and the wife (primary driver) is pretty happy with how the color combination turned out in person. Bit of a learning curve with Google/Android auto and while we don't have Sensus to compare it to, within the first day already noted a few idiosyncrasies in the UI that I hope will be further improved on.

Build:
XC60 T8 Recharge Inscription Expression
Pine gray metallic
Maroon brown leather
Advanced
19" Y-spoke
Harman Kardon

Our timeline:
6/14 Placed order as a direct ship, travel later.
8/26 Got a call that car was done, eta Stateside mid-late Sep.
9/03 Left Gothenburg
9/13 Got some customs forms to sign via vhelp.
9/17 Initial Adtrav call, nothing finalized yet as we're looking to travel May-June '22.
9/23 Arrived Brunswick, GA
9/25 Cleared customs per vhelp.
9/27 Settled payment at the dealer.
9/28 Cleared for transport per vhelp.
10/5 Informed that car is at dealer.
10/8 Drove off the lot!
117 calendar days from start to finish.

Many thanks to everyone at Volvo of Austin for steering us through the process, and certainly everyone up the Volvo chain.

And now on to the fun part of vacation travel. Loose itinerary is Stockholm -> Gothenburg -> Copenhagen -> Oslo.

A few quick pics from delivery day:
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Vehicle Plant Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Steering wheel

Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Hood Wheel Automotive lighting

Vehicle Car Window Automotive design Vehicle door

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
24 Posts
This really started a few years back knowing we would need a new car in 2H-2021. I think we were pretty much set on going with a Volvo (our first, family of Volkswagens), an XC60, and going via OSD. What we didn't count on was the pandemic, but in the end we were ok with direct-ship and have to say it does afford some flexibility with the actual vacation planning.

Took delivery this past Friday and the wife (primary driver) is pretty happy with how the color combination turned out in person. Bit of a learning curve with Google/Android auto and while we don't have Sensus to compare it to, within the first day already noted a few idiosyncrasies in the UI that I hope will be further improved on.

Build:
XC60 T8 Recharge Inscription Expression
Pine gray metallic
Maroon brown leather
Advanced
19" Y-spoke
Harman Kardon

Our timeline:
6/14 Placed order as a direct ship, travel later.
8/26 Got a call that car was done, eta Stateside mid-late Sep.
9/03 Left Gothenburg
9/13 Got some customs forms to sign via vhelp.
9/17 Initial Adtrav call, nothing finalized yet as we're looking to travel May-June '22.
9/23 Arrived Brunswick, GA
9/25 Cleared customs per vhelp.
9/27 Settled payment at the dealer.
9/28 Cleared for transport per vhelp.
10/5 Informed that car is at dealer.
10/8 Drove off the lot!
117 calendar days from start to finish.

Many thanks to everyone at Volvo of Austin for steering us through the process, and certainly everyone up the Volvo chain.

And now on to the fun part of vacation travel. Loose itinerary is Stockholm -> Gothenburg -> Copenhagen -> Oslo.

A few quick pics from delivery day:
View attachment 136097
View attachment 136098
View attachment 136099
View attachment 136100
View attachment 136101
View attachment 136102
View attachment 136103
View attachment 136104
Curious what fees did you pay for the order? I placed mine through Volvo of Austin as well. I was originally working with Andrew but now Alex is my POC. Did you end up financing through Volvo or a credit union?

Hoping to take delivery sometime end of month or November!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm curious about the reason that Volvo would do OSD with direct delivery like this and the trip after. Myunderstanding was that the fact you took delivery of the car in Sweden made it a "used" car and thus reduced tariffs which allowed them to discount, pay for airfare, etc. What's in it for them to give you a substantial discount plus the rest when it's essentially the same as a domestic purchase?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Curious what fees did you pay for the order?
Should be your OSD configuration and destination plus normal TT&L. But double check every line on the buyer form at time of payment.

You're in great hands with Alex. He took care of us when test driving, intial consult and final delivery; James wad also our contact during. Yes financed thru Volvo, form on VoA webpage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm curious about the reason that Volvo would do OSD with direct delivery like this and the trip after.
Changing Swedish entry restrictions for non-citizens or non-EU persons and factory visitor policy.

I can't answer the rest, other than maybe it's seen as a temporary situation. Maybe someone literally drove it outside the factory gate.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
Changing Swedish entry restrictions for non-citizens or non-EU persons and factory visitor policy.

I can't answer the rest, other than maybe it's seen as a temporary situation. Maybe someone literally drove it outside the factory gate.
The used car part is not accurate. In old OSD days, one could just show up at FDC, sign the document, not touching the car at all. It doesn't matter you drive or not there. Now everything can be signed online so physical presence is not necessary and actually not possible due to the travel restriction.

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm curious about the reason that Volvo would do OSD with direct delivery like this and the trip after. My understanding was that the fact you took delivery of the car in Sweden made it a "used" car and thus reduced tariffs which allowed them to discount, pay for airfare, etc. What's in it for them to give you a substantial discount plus the rest when it's essentially the same as a domestic purchase?
It feels like, as far as taxes/importation fees are concerned, there is no difference between a standard OSD delivery and direct ship OSD. Even though it's direct ship, you still have to sign an EPA declaration form. If you just did a regular order through your dealer, you would never get involved with customs declarations. It's like you are buying the car in Sweden and Volvo helps you ship it back home. I'm sure others are more knowledgeable about the process, but just what I've gathered.

@autoRS Did you get your Swedish temp plates?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@autoRS Did you get your Swedish temp plates?
Correct, on all customs and EPA forms I was listed as the owner or importer.

No I did not get the temp plates (do we still get them?), but sure was hell ready for them. Replica UK style plates on now from my last car. Yes they're covered up with the real TX temp tag.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Plant Car

·
Registered
14 Posts
OSD offered to mail me the temp plates even if the car is not being picked up in Sweden. I'm not sure if that's standard but they were willing to do it when I asked.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha thanks!

Barbara did reply back that my plates are ordered, not yet in the US, and they're backed up on getting them sent out. Good to know we'll still get them eventually.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo XC60 B5 AWD Momentum (Platinum Grey + Blond Leather)
206 Posts
I didn’t know we needed to request the plates.
OSD needs to get better at getting information out

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn’t know we needed to request the plates.
OSD needs to get better at getting information out
Since I opted for direct ship I simply assumed I wouldn't get them and didn't ask until now. It sounds like a delay in getting and sending them out and no need to request but yes I got zero information about this. Probably best to reach out. Thanks for the tip @Sweetness9

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: so now that we've been enjoying our XC60 Recharge* it's vacation planning time. Decided to fly into Oslo and make our way via ferries and trains through Copenhagen and Gothenburg and flying out of Stockholm.

For cycling fans out there, the Tour de France starts in Copenhagen on July 1 and I aligned our itinerary with that. The 13km ITT around the city is perfect for spectating and it's a rare start outside of France. A highlight of our upcoming trip for sure!

*I did not need to see the motoring press about the 2022.5 in 1Q-2022 with bigger batt and more powerful e motor. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts