SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long wait, we are finally picking up our first Volvo tomorrow...a Black Inscription 2016 XC90. We are really excited and this forum has been invaluable in helping us purchase this car and learn so much about it.

Does anyone have any advice or a pre-delivery checklist to review? This dealership is 3 hours from where we live and I want to make sure everything goes smooth and to be on the lookout for anything unusual. The PDI was completed yesterday and all recalls and software upgrades should have been completed.

Thanks and we are really looking forward to being a part of this community!

·
Registered
348 Posts
1. Remind the dealer NOT to buff or polish the car. Power wash with water only: no cloths, sponges, buffers or brushless car wash. This will allow you to make your own decision later about whether to use paint protection without having to correct the damage from agressive cleaning. Remember, black is the worst color when it comes to showing swirls and imperfections. If they have already done a PDI, it may be too late for this, but its worth asking.
2. Do not allow them to glue one of those silly dealer logos on the tailgate. You should not have to be their mobile ad. platform

·
Registered
348 Posts
How does that go over with the dealer usually? I was already planning on having to have someone remove it.
Some states require a buyer to acknowledge this on the bill on the bill of sale. In other words you affirmatively have to check a box that says you agree to the logo - otherwise no logo!
In Maryland, for example, it is illegal for a dealer to affix a logo to a vehicle without the consent of the buyer. This is laid out in Title 15, Vehicle Laws—Licensing of Businesses and Occupations, Subtitle 3, "False, deceptive, or misleading advertising practices prohibited."
I'm sure some dealers just tack it on because that's what they've always done.... and often crookedly with damage to the paintwork
In my opinion, a classy dealer will not do this, and I think most will agree its tacky and cheesy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
How does that go over with the dealer usually? I was already planning on having to have someone remove it.
Check your local laws but in Maryland it is illegal for a dealer to affix a logo to a vehicle without the consent of the buyer. This is laid out in Title 15, Vehicle Laws—Licensing of Businesses and Occupations, Subtitle 3, "False, deceptive, or misleading advertising practices prohibited." It reads as follows:
Placement on vehicle of insignia, or other plate advertising name of dealer

(d)(1) A dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer may not place on a vehicle an insignia, logo, or other plate that advertises the name of the dealer, unless:

(i) The contract of sale for the vehicle contains a notice of the rights of the buyer described in this subsection; and

(ii) The buyer of the vehicle consents to the placement of the insignia, Logo, or other plate on the vehicle.

(2) A dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer may enter into an agreement with a buyer of a vehicle to compensate the buyer in exchange for the buyer's consent to the placement on the vehicle of an insignia, Logo, or other plate that advertises the name of the dealer.

(3) If a dealer or an agent or employee of a dealer places an insignia, Logo, or other plate that advertises the name of the dealer without obtaining a buyer's consent, the dealer shall, at the request of the buyer, remove the advertising and make all repairs necessary to restore the vehicle to its original appearance at no charge to the buyer. as it relates to dealer-affixed logos on purchased vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
39,274 Posts
Some states require a buyer to acknowledge this on the bill on the bill of sale. In other words you affirmatively have to check a box that says you agree to the logo - otherwise no logo!
In Maryland, for example, it is illegal for a dealer to affix a logo to a vehicle without the consent of the buyer. This is laid out in Title 15, Vehicle Laws—Licensing of Businesses and Occupations, Subtitle 3, "False, deceptive, or misleading advertising practices prohibited."
I'm sure some dealers just tack it on because that's what they've always done.... and often crookedly with damage to the paintwork
In my opinion, a classy dealer will not do this, and I think most will agree its tacky and cheesy.
Too many "legalities". Just let them know, ahead of time, "no stickers of any sort on the liftgate". Plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
and most definitely DO NOT let them drill holes in your front bumper (for their plate) unless you are required by law in your state to run a front plate. Our Volvo dealer knows not to affix any of their crap to our cars. Once thing to really look out for is fixed body damage. Our 2010 S80 looked pristine when we picked it up. We gave it a good once over. The first time I washed it I felt the rough paint on the bumper indicative of fixed damage. They matched the paint color perfectly but not the smoothness. I didn't care, especially since it was totaled a few years after purchase. You are paying a lot of hard earned money for this vehicle so you are entitled to a pristine car and I'm sure your dealer wants to deliver the same pristine car. Have fun with the new ride.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
If you already received your car and can recommend additional items for a delivery checklist, please add them to this list. This information might help you and your dealer if nothing else as reminders. Even though I have not yet taken delivery, here is want I have created for myself so far for when I do take delivery:

Delivery Checklist
1. Verify two key FOBs, physical keys in both, and a third small key in the box
2. Verify latest software version
3. Verify install of maps (no longer installed at factory)
4. Verify install and registration of Apple Car Play
5. Configure software and verify connections before leaving dealership
6. Verify Volvo on Call and XM Radio registration and operation
7. Verify AT&T wifi registration, SIM card installation and operation
8. Setup VOC on iPhone
9. Verify remote start, et al
10. Demo locking and unlocking doors, windows and trunk
11. Demo mirrors and front row seats and set up driver profiles
12. Demo adjustment of second and third rows seats
13. Demo open trunk, hood, fuel cap, et al
14. Demo checking of service levels (e.g., tires, oil, et al)
15. Review winter driving, emergency equipment and towing procedures, including tires
16. Review use of PHEV plug-in (T8)
17. Meet service manager and associates
18. Review after hours contacts
19. Demo proper method to jump "start" battery safely
20. Verify dealer badge/logo was not added (if that is a concern)
21. Demo 360 view if applicable

Note: Before dealer delivery, you may wish to request that exterior detailing (e.g., rinse, buff, dry) NOT be performed if you are having paint correction, paint protection film and/or ceramic coating performed. Some even suggest requesting that the white protective coating be left on but that may inhibit proper dealer/transport inspection.

Please add any other thoughts.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I never let dealerships advertise on my car, and I forgot to tell my dealership NOT to put their sticker on my tailgate. When I picked it up, sure enough, there it was. I asked them to remove it (nicely) and they did it on the spot, which is a good thing, because it generally comes off much easier when it has just been affixed. The letters peeled right off and everything was fine.

The only other thing I would add here is to be prepared for the finance guy to try to sell you all of the Janus protection plans (extended warranty, tire protections, etc). I went into my dealer prior to my pickup date to go all of this so that A). I was prepared B). I knew what my final financial obligation would be and C). I wouldn't be surprised and feel compelled or pressured to buy something without having time to do some research.

Given the high price of the extended warranty, I passed. Why? I may never need it. I'd rather have my money be put to work for me now (instead of letting someone else have my $$$ and potentially never even needing to use it, or sell the car for example).

I did opt for the tire/wheel/key/windshield protection. To me, that seemed like a no brainer for fairly short money ($800) given the cost of each tire (for the 22's, the tires cost about that, and for my snows, they are $200+ each), the fact that they will recondition the rims if damaged and the likelihood of someone (not me! LOL) losing one of the key FOBS... I live where there are bad roads, road hazards, and will be traveling gravel in winter, so that also made that package more of a no brainer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Gary, this is very helpful. I am picking up the car in a few hours and this will come in very handy.

If you already received your car and can recommend additional items for a delivery checklist, please add them to this list. This information might help you and your dealer if nothing else as reminders. Even though I have not yet taken delivery, here is want I have created for myself so far for when I do take delivery:

Delivery Checklist
1. Verify two key FOBs and physical keys in both
2. Verify latest software: e.g., October 3148124-5 Service 2.0 Upgrade
3. Verify install of maps (no longer installed at factory)
4. Verify install and registration of Apple Car Play
5. Configure software and verify connections before leaving dealership
6. Verify Volvo on Call and XM Radio registration and operation
7. Verify AT&T wifi registration, SIM card installation and operation
8. Setup VOC on iPhone
9. Verify remote start, et al
10. Demo locking and unlocking doors, windows and trunk
11. Demo mirrors and front row seats and set up driver profiles
12. Demo adjustment of second and third rows seats
13. Demo open trunk, hood, fuel cap, et al
14. Demo checking of service levels (e.g., tires, oil, et al)
15. Review winter driving, emergency equipment and towing procedures, including tires
16. Review use of PHEV plug-in (T8)
17. Meet service manager and associates
18. Review after hours contacts

Note: Before dealer delivery, you may wish to request that exterior detailing (i.e., rinse and dry) not be performed if you are having paint correction, paint protection film and/or ceramic coating performed. Some even suggest requesting that the white protective coating be left on but that may inhibit proper dealer/transport inspection.

Please add any other thoughts.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I removed the reference to the example of the an October software version. Just ask your service manager to verify that you have the latest software version.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I never let dealerships advertise on my car, and I forgot to tell my dealership NOT to put their sticker on my tailgate. When I picked it up, sure enough, there it was. I asked them to remove it (nicely) and they did it on the spot, which is a good thing, because it generally comes off much easier when it has just been affixed. The letters peeled right off and everything was fine.

The only other thing I would add here is to be prepared for the finance guy to try to sell you all of the Janus protection plans (extended warranty, tire protections, etc). I went into my dealer prior to my pickup date to go all of this so that A). I was prepared B). I knew what my final financial obligation would be and C). I wouldn't be surprised and feel compelled or pressured to buy something without having time to do some research.

Given the high price of the extended warranty, I passed. Why? I may never need it. I'd rather have my money be put to work for me now (instead of letting someone else have my $$$ and potentially never even needing to use it, or sell the car for example).

I did opt for the tire/wheel/key/windshield protection. To me, that seemed like a no brainer for fairly short money ($800) given the cost of each tire (for the 22's, the tires cost about that, and for my snows, they are $200+ each), the fact that they will recondition the rims if damaged and the likelihood of someone (not me! LOL) losing one of the key FOBS... I live where there are bad roads, road hazards, and will be traveling gravel in winter, so that also made that package more of a no brainer.
What exactly does the wheel and tire protection cover?

If I hit a pothole and blow a tire, is that covered? What if I bend the rim on that same pothole? Or if I get curb rash on the rims, is that covered if it's my own fault?

I always worry about the long list of exclusions with these things...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
What exactly does the wheel and tire protection cover?

If I hit a pothole and blow a tire, is that covered? What if I bend the rim on that same pothole? Or if I get curb rash on the rims, is that covered if it's my own fault?

I always worry about the long list of exclusions with these things...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi guys - I just took delivery of my R yesterday. Car is awesome by the way, dynamic mode is a lot of fun.
To answer his question, the tire and wheel insurance covers tires, rims, etc no matter what. You hit a pot hole and blow 2 tires and bend 2 rims you are covered. Just does not cover wear and tear on tires. The rest is covered.

I do have 1 item to add to the checklist. The 360degree view. We did t and we have an issue. The camera is only front and back. The sides are blacked out. I am making a list so when it goes in for service or the big update we will have it fixed. Not a big deal for us.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hi guys - I just took delivery of my R yesterday. Car is awesome by the way, dynamic mode is a lot of fun.
To answer his question, the tire and wheel insurance covers tires, rims, etc no matter what. You hit a pot hole and blow 2 tires and bend 2 rims you are covered. Just does not cover wear and tear on tires. The rest is covered.

I do have 1 item to add to the checklist. The 360degree view. We did t and we have an issue. The camera is only front and back. The sides are blacked out. I am making a list so when it goes in for service or the big update we will have it fixed. Not a big deal for us.
Congrats! Another R on the mean streets. Yes, greed on the Dynamic mode, it is funny how just a little higher rev with the delay to the transmission shift makes such a big difference, I guess I can see why there is such interest in Polestar tunes, although I don't think I need anything more for my needs.

The Tire & Wheel allows for reconditioning and replacement of wheels and tires, but also includes replacement of lost or damaged key fobs, which I understand are also expensive. It includes windshield repair and replacement too, which perhaps could be better than going the insurance route (depending on OEM or aftermarket windshields that may be used as replacements with the intellisafe system?). In my state, insurance covers damaged windshields (not sure if every state has that automatically built in) so perhaps this additional protection isn't a big deal. When I was picking up my car another XC90 was in for damage to a wheel and was being covered by the policy.

This was the only coverage that made any sense to me since I live in an area with bad & seasonally rough roads, and will very likely end up with a nicked wheel or damaged tire. My last set of winter tires took 3 hits (bolts/screws) and if you take those hits on the outside of edge of the tread block, your tires will likely need to be replaced. Given the cost of the winter and summer tires alone, not to mention the cost of the wheels, this policy made a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
In some jurisdictions they have to get your permission before doing that. Ask / check your paperwork (often there will be info that says something to the effect you allow them to put a dealer decal / license plate frame on your vehicle).

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Congrats! Another R on the mean streets. Yes, greed on the Dynamic mode, it is funny how just a little higher rev with the delay to the transmission shift makes such a big difference, I guess I can see why there is such interest in Polestar tunes, although I don't think I need anything more for my needs.

The Tire & Wheel allows for reconditioning and replacement of wheels and tires, but also includes replacement of lost or damaged key fobs, which I understand are also expensive. It includes windshield repair and replacement too, which perhaps could be better than going the insurance route (depending on OEM or aftermarket windshields that may be used as replacements with the intellisafe system?). In my state, insurance covers damaged windshields (not sure if every state has that automatically built in) so perhaps this additional protection isn't a big deal. When I was picking up my car another XC90 was in for damage to a wheel and was being covered by the policy.

This was the only coverage that made any sense to me since I live in an area with bad & seasonally rough roads, and will very likely end up with a nicked wheel or damaged tire. My last set of winter tires took 3 hits (bolts/screws) and if you take those hits on the outside of edge of the tread block, your tires will likely need to be replaced. Given the cost of the winter and summer tires alone, not to mention the cost of the wheels, this policy made a lot of sense to me.
Yo Ski,
Thanks for the breakdown and your take on the additional coverage and the info on the Dynamic mode!. I've done similar in the past with our XC60RDs and plan on this type of coverage for the new XC90RD that's due to arrive at Port of Baltimore on 11/26!
Serg

·
Registered
74 Posts
1. Also verify the small Key is below the 2 main keys in the box. My dealer almost forgot mine. Luckily I a saw a you tube video with that 3rd key or I would not have known.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
1. Also verify the small Key is below the 2 main keys in the box. My dealer almost forgot mine. Luckily I a saw a you tube video with that 3rd key or I would not have known.
+1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts