SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having issues with their clearcoat being easily damaged by bird droppings, tree sap and the like? I usually carry a spray bottle with water and some paper towels so stuff like that doesn't sit on my car for an extended period before I can wash it but my Denim Blue 2019 T5 R-Design has had a few instances of these things leaving a haze in the clearcoat after they are removed and the car has been washed.

I took the car to a detailer who was able to buff them out and applied a sealant but I've owned cars from a ton of different brands and never had a paint job so easily damaged. I'm attaching a pic of some marks that were left by bird droppings that were on the C pillar for less than two hours. I apologize they were hard to photograph. No amount of cleaning, scrubbing or treatment with a synthetic clay bar I did would remove them, only the detailer "cutting" and buffing the spots.

I contacted Volvo and they recommended I make an appointment at my dealer who looked at the car and said it looked fine. This was after the detailer. I've only had it for a few months and I'm kind of dreading coming winter weather if the paint is truly this delicate.

20190809_082719.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
I do not have my Volvo yet but I feel your pain. I also carry a water spray bottle and a roll of paper towel for the same reason. This issue is not unique to Volvo's paint in my opinion. The water based paint commonly used these days is not much protective. Also more easily chipped by stones and other hard debris.

I have read some study stating that those flying creatures love/ hate Red and Blue the most. I currently own a car in light blue and I get carpet bombing quite often especially in Spring when they came back. This is the reason why I ordered my Volvo in Birch Light, assuming that that color would ease my pain! Otherwise, I love blue!

I also use Klasse sealant on all my cars as soon as I get them. 3~6 layers for protection. Droppings come off more easily.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We have ceramic coated both our Volvo's from day 1 so can't comment on the factory clearcoat. I can say that with the ceramic coatings, bird droppings, bug and tar come off very easily with no marring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got denim blue as well (4 months old) but haven't noticed any issues...yet. I've even had a few times that it was bombed and sat in 90 deg sun for 6-7 hours. I took it off when I got home and didn't notice any issue. That said, I'm going to take a closer look tonight and will report if I see any remnant of the stains. I must say that I like the DB color. I didn't go into the dealer over Memorial Day weekend looking for that color but that was color available with the equipment/options I wanted as well as the blonde interior. Never even saw a clean, detailed DB on the lot until mine arrived (swap with another dealer). Loved it when I saw it and more every day. Gets a lot of looks and compliments as well. It just seems to fit the S60 well I guess...same for the blonde interior.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
What do you think is better for a new car, a sealant or a ceramic coating?

And on another subject sort of, any suggestions for protecting or rejuvenating a very old red car? The paint has faded a whole lot and I’d like to keep this vehicle for the rest of my life.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have ceramic coated both our Volvo's from day 1 so can't comment on the factory clearcoat. I can say that with the ceramic coatings, bird droppings, bug and tar come off very easily with no marring.
Can I ask how much you paid and how long it took to do the ceramic? My detailer offered it but said they would need my car for 3 days which seems crazy. My dealer offers an Auto Armor interior and exterior protection but the cost was nearly $1,000

·
Registered
187 Posts
What do you think is better for a new car, a sealant or a ceramic coating?

And on another subject sort of, any suggestions for protecting or rejuvenating a very old red car? The paint has faded a whole lot and I’d like to keep this vehicle for the rest of my life.

Nora in Florida

A ceramic coating costs you quite a lot and it looks great! A sealant needs to be re-applied on a regular basis, which I do not mind. The Klasse is acrylic based and it lasts a longer than anything that I have ever used. A few layers last easily over a year and the paint of my cars looks great! I can apply it over small stone chips to protect the base layer of the paint.

It all comes down to $$ and time you would spend.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
PPF + Ceramic Coating if money is no object. Or rather, keeping the exterior clean, clear, and perfect is a more significant object! Have it on my V90CC and have recovered my money's worth already. Have 40k miles on my Volvo in 13 months and it looks like I bought it yesterday.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Can I ask how much you paid and how long it took to do the ceramic? My detailer offered it but said they would need my car for 3 days which seems crazy. My dealer offers an Auto Armor interior and exterior protection but the cost was nearly $1,000
With ceramic coating, most detailers will do a paint correction before applying ppf/ceramic coating which is the reason why they need 3 days. In my case I had the vehicles paint corrected, ppf (i.e. 3M or similar) and then ceramic coating on top. Cost in Canada was approximately $2800. Pricey...yes but in my opinion worth it. I have 2 young kids and I don't have the time to wax regularly.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do not have my Volvo yet but I feel your pain. I also carry a water spray bottle and a roll of paper towel for the same reason. This issue is not unique to Volvo's paint in my opinion. The water based paint commonly used these days is not much protective. Also more easily chipped by stones and other hard debris.
Be careful with paper towels! They actually will scratch your finish. I was trying to get bird poop off and scratched the heck out of it due to the poop and paper towels.

I would recommend buying some microfiber towels and using Meguiars Quick Detailer instead. That would probably be much safer for your paint.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Be careful with paper towels! They actually will scratch your finish. I was trying to get bird poop off and scratched the heck out of it due to the poop and paper towels.

I would recommend buying some microfiber towels and using Meguiars Quick Detailer instead. That would probably be much safer for your paint.
NEVER use paper towels not even wet ones. Paper towels are made from wood fibers and they will ruin your clear coat. Use water and your finger to loosen and rinse away bird droppings and if that is too gross for you use a microfiber cloth as noted above, but always use liquid as it lubricated the clear coat.

I have Denim Blue and I have struggled with spots on my hood. I have a buffer and I use a light correcting cream to clean it up but I've had to do it at least once a year already. I will not park near trees anymore....

·
Registered
911 Posts
Woh...people are using paper towels on their paint?!! Keep a clean small microfiber towel in the car if you need to wipe things off on occasion.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
PPF + Ceramic Coating if money is no object. Or rather, keeping the exterior clean, clear, and perfect is a more significant object! Have it on my V90CC and have recovered my money's worth already. Have 40k miles on my Volvo in 13 months and it looks like I bought it yesterday.
What is PPF?

And thank you for the info about paper towels. I had no idea.

I’m going to look into the ceramic coating.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
What is PPF?

And thank you for the info about paper towels. I had no idea.

I’m going to look into the ceramic coating.

Nora in Florida
Paint Protection Film (PPF). I have https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-protection-film/ultimate-plus on my V90CC.

There is a lot of misconception about Ceramic Coating amongst people. CC does NOT help against scratches and swirl marks. They keep the surface cleaner and don't let gunk/mud/salt stick to the surface. That's the benefit of them.

PPF, on the other hand, is a physical layer which will withstand marring, scratches, etc. and also heal itself if lightly scratched (in my case, the entire front end recovered from scratches after driving through a dust-storm through the mountains of WY).

Do not expect CC to resist scratches and do not expect PPF to make it impossible for dirt/dust/mud/salt to stick to your Vehicle.

Both have very different purposes!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Paint Protection Film (PPF). I have https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-protection-film/ultimate-plus on my V90CC.

There is a lot of misconception about Ceramic Coating amongst people. CC does NOT help against scratches and swirl marks. They keep the surface cleaner and don't let gunk/mud/salt stick to the surface. That's the benefit of them.

PPF, on the other hand, is a physical layer which will withstand marring, scratches, etc. and also heal itself if lightly scratched (in my case, the entire front end recovered from scratches after driving through a dust-storm through the mountains of WY).

Do not expect CC to resist scratches and do not expect PPF to make it impossible for dirt/dust/mud/salt to stick to your Vehicle.

And that's why, if you're me, you get both! Makes cleaning a breeze!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Would both of these be good for a 23 year old red Volvo? Is there something specifically made for older vehicles?

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
911 Posts
Would both of these be good for a 23 year old red Volvo? Is there something specifically made for older vehicles?

Nora in Florida
Both would require quite a bit of paint correction for a car/paint that old. And neither the ppf or cc would be warrantied for as long as if the car were new.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Both would require quite a bit of paint correction for a car/paint that old. And neither the ppf or cc would be warrantied for as long as if the car were new.
Thank you so much! So, do you recommend both PPF and CC immediately after purchasing a new car?

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thank you so much! So, do you recommend both PPF and CC immediately after purchasing a new car?

Nora in Florida
In my opinion, you should do it right away after purchasing. If you can afford to, definitely do both the ppf and ceramic coating. For the ppf, there are a few options as to what you want to protect. For the best protection you could wrap the whole car though this is quite costly. A good compromise is to do the full front (full hood, front fenders, window pillars, headlights and roofline), door cups, and luggage strip. I hate the half hood look so this is what I opted for.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts