SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son told me his brakes were squeaking on his '01 S40. I knew it was getting close to time to replace the pads but I was horrified at what I found. When I looked at the pads through the spokes the week before, there was still pad left. Apparently, one of the Pagid pads delaminated from the backing plate. The Brembo rotor that I installed 30K miles ago was destroyed. I replaced both front rotors and all pads (front and rear). I had heard of pads delaminating but never experienced this. I think as the pads get thinner they are less able to handle he heat and flaws in the adhesive can lead to separation. I was also a little concerned that there was a chunk of friction material missing from one of the rear pads. Pagid pads are supposed to be good but this has me wondering.

While I was doing the job, I also found a bad tie rod end and one of the guide pins on a rear caliper was nearly seized. I was able to free it up, smooth it and relube, however, I still want to replace the pin and bracket. It and the tie rod end are next weekends project.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replaced the tie rod ends today. Piece of cake! PB Blaster is your friend. I tried to make sure that I maintained the same tie rod length to spare having to get an alignment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts