SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Probably not all modules on CAN-bus went silent. This was also mentioned by one of the contributors.

Once I get my car fully fixed (OTE pipe does not hold boost, engine throws the "MAF flow is too high" error) and get a new inspection sticker, I'll try it in-car myself.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Looks like I finally got it to connect and run the program. Sat in the car for about 20 minutes letting it do it's thing until it got progressively slower until it looked like the program froze. Gonna give it another try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Did it go through first 3 bytes and then "froze"? It is brute-forcing the rest 3 bytes (it is quicker to brute-force them). Also if you capture the output it would help.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
No, it froze on the second byte.

I ran it again this evening. Was only able to get it to run once but it looks like it failed to get the right pin. Shows verification failed. I was using putty to look at the program output.

I tried running it a few more times after and it kept getting stuck on entering settings mode.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Did some more poking around today. Realized that Arduino has a built in serial monitor. Horray, don't have to screw around with Putty.

Anyway, it seems like Teensy is accessing MCP2515 too fast because I keep getting a message enter setting mode fail. The only time it actually manages to initialize and proceed is if I drop the CPU speed right down to 24 MHZ. I am gonna reattempt to crack it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Try an old PC power supply.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
Use +12v from OBD port and DC-DC converter to +5. MCP may consume enough power to overrun USB. Even if CAN-controller itself seems to work, its transceiver may have not enough power to drive CAN lines.

Also there are a lot of fake or broken MCP2515 chips on the market. I got 8 of them in last batch, 3 did not work out of the box in one way or another :(

The code also supports a built-in CAN-controller in Teensy, I used a SN65HVD230 transceiver, which also does not require level shifter.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Just checking, you do have a common ground between Teensy and the car?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Looks like you have a flaky communication between Teensy and MCP2515. My knee-jerk reaction would be replacing the latter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Got 2 new MCP2515 units. Same issue. Only talks at 24 MHZ. Tried running it at that speed. Same problem as before. PIN verification failed. I don't think it's actually talking to the CEM because the part number it pulls up initially is 86 followed by a bunch of zeros.

This may be a dumb question but do I need to have 2 MCP2515 units for in car cracking or just the optional unit shown in the diagram? Does it use both HS and LS lines or HS is only needed for cracking while on the bench?

·
Registered
951 Posts
In theory you have to silent both CAN-buses. It may work with 1, I didn't try. Cracking can be done on any of two buses, HS is apparently faster.

What units did you get? I may get one and try myself. Wonder if it's SPI or slow level shifter issue and defining your own SPI transaction may solve that.

SN65HVD230 is also a possibility - it is 3.3v, works w/o level shifter.

Good thing is the cracker works for a dozen of folks, who dropped me a note. Repeating the device is still troublesome, maybe somebody will bake those PCBs and sell them on ebay.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yes, I have 5 of those working (out of 8). Also, did you put a J1 jumper?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yes, CAN has to be terminated with 120 Ohms on both sides. This jumper is for termination.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts