SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I was talking to a guy just couple of weeks ago, who had the MB transmission firmware read with X-ray, pretty much the same way how late Soviet was reverse-engineering Western chips.

With enough beer everything is possible.
There are ways to prevent that. Just a question of how much money they want to spend on it. Encryption is simple and cheap.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
There are ways to prevent that. Just a question of how much money they want to spend on it. Encryption is simple and cheap.

It was encrypted :) He could not read it the usual way w/o the key, so he got it all (both the data and the key) with the x-rays.

Yes, it can be prevented, but humans are smart in finding the way around.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
It was encrypted :) He could not read it the usual way w/o the key, so he got it all (both the data and the key) with the x-rays.

Yes, it can be prevented, but humans are smart in finding the way around.
Time and money. Time and money.... It goes both ways!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Right, like XC90 and Tesla with a lame autopilot that gets humans killed. But that's a nuisance. Toggling a standard bit in car's standard configuration is a worse crime that has to be proactively reported to the authorities.

I would never trust autopilot anyway...but the people who crashed weren't using it according to the instructions anyway. That being, be ready to intervene at all times.

I would however be interested in the city speed limiter you mentioned before. They're installing hundreds of speed cameras here in NYC.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Would the part number be the same for the passenger side?

If not I have no way to get the correct part number.
If you don’t have the part number get one from the model year. There is a good chance this will work. There is none for the PS seat. No software is needed.

·
Registered
578 Posts
As cars get more and more software in them, I suspect we'll see more of this. Right now, we can change the ECU software to alter the performance. AFAIK, no one has hacked a stability control to alter it's behavior. But, it could be done. I can see manufacturers incorporating more anti-tamper mechanisms in their cars to prevent unauthorized changes. More than just a simple PIN.

I think it will get to a stage where cars will one day auto-correct any invalid or unauthorised configurations. It will be label as quality and compliance control.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
I think it will get to a stage where cars will one day auto-correct any invalid or unauthorised configurations. It will be label as quality and compliance control.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Tesla already does this, they reverse performance improvements done by aftermarket tuners with each software update.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Question - so it looks like VDash can program keys on a P2, but only if you have cracked your CEM and gotten it's PIN code. First question, is that correct?

Second question - VDash says they will decode "on the bench" for $15 plus shipping. https://d5t5.com/wiki/wiki/article-pricelist I think they're in Russia, sooooo I would rather not do that. Who else can perform this service stateside? Or how can we do it ourselves?

·
Registered
951 Posts
VDASH is in Czech Republic. You can take CEM out, solder a few wires and read the flash with sw like m16c-flasher.de. Or buy xprog or orange programmers and do the same, but with their sw.

Other thing to try is in-car cracking via OBD-II: https://github.com/vtl/volvo-cem-cracker I didn't try it in-car myself yet (drove first couple of miles today after long and painful engine rebuild), but with the CEM on the bench it worked.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So I have to build an arduino setup to try that out? Lol. Is there a company I can send it to stateside?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Did anyone here actually built the CEM cracker tool using the schematic on Github? Looking at the diagram I see VCC 5 volts is being sent directly to ground. This doesn't seem right to me because wouldn't that just short the whole thing out? I would think the ground would have to connect to the ground pins.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did anyone here actually built the CEM cracker tool using the schematic on Github? Looking at the diagram I see VCC 5 volts is being sent directly to ground. This doesn't seem right to me because wouldn't that just short the whole thing out? I would think the ground would have to connect to the ground pins.
Github states "make it clear in schematic that it needs an external +5v power and common GDN with CEM" but I'm not an EE. I could have my buddy look at it if needed, PM me if that becomes the case.

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's a typo with +5 connected to GND, I'll fix that once I get back to keyboard. GND should go to the neighbor line that connects GND of the chips.

Thanks for spotting that!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Looks like MCP2515 library got updated since the code was put together. When I try to compile with current library it's giving me errors. My C++ skills aren't good enough to figure em out so perhaps someone more knowledgeable can have a look.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Use this one: vtl/CAN_BUS_Shield Seeeduino did a stupid thing by radically changing API of public library that is used in thousands of projects.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks! That worked. I was able to compile and program Teensy. Tried to run the program this morning with CEM in the car and it won't go past sending CEM into programming mode.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts