SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The drivers power seat in my xc doesn't work. I forgot the exact code in VIDA but basically its not programmed to the car. Suspect either junkyard seat or junkyard seat module was installed to fix another issue. Either way it doesn't work and throws a code in VIDA.

Can I fix that with VDASH?

I'd be willing to part with a few dollars to fix the problem, not a few hundred. I can move the seat for a few seconds when I first started the car but then it stops working.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The drivers power seat in my xc doesn't work. I forgot the exact code in VIDA but basically its not programmed to the car. Suspect either junkyard seat or junkyard seat module was installed to fix another issue. Either way it doesn't work and throws a code in VIDA.

Can I fix that with VDASH?

I'd be willing to part with a few dollars to fix the problem, not a few hundred. I can move the seat for a few seconds when I first started the car but then it stops working.
If you don't have the original for the car (to get the part #), this could be tricky.

My XC70 seat didnt work when I bought it, I found a driver seat module on ebay that had the same part # and put it in, it fixed it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have done many software down loads with clone DiCE and 3 day subscription. Keys, fobs, fog lights on with high beam, Japanese language, DRLs off, etc. I would love not to have to go through Volvo tech and pay all this money.

as for the seat module, get the same part number module as monocog007 says and you are good. Did this on my 2002.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If you don't have the original for the car (to get the part #), this could be tricky.

My XC70 seat didnt work when I bought it, I found a driver seat module on ebay that had the same part # and put it in, it fixed it.
I have done many software down loads with clone DiCE and 3 day subscription. Keys, fobs, fog lights on with high beam, Japanese language, DRLs off, etc. I would love not to have to go through Volvo tech and pay all this money.

as for the seat module, get the same part number module as monocog007 says and you are good. Did this on my 2002.

Would the part number be the same for the passenger side?

If not I have no way to get the correct part number.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Would the part number be the same for the passenger side?

If not I have no way to get the correct part number.

I dont think passenger side will work, I wouldn't even put forth the effort to try.

If I were you, I would contact your dealer and ask for the correct part number given your VIN. There's potential you could find a used one with that new part # from the dealer, or a google search with the new part # might turn up some "superceded" part numbers that could show up on ebay.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I dont think passenger side will work, I wouldn't even put forth the effort to try.

If I were you, I would contact your dealer and ask for the correct part number given your VIN. There's potential you could find a used one with that new part # from the dealer, or a google search with the new part # might turn up some "superceded" part numbers that could show up on ebay.

Ok I'll look in to that.

Like I said I can move it for a few seconds when I first turn the car on, but then it stops. It's fine now that I have it the way I want it but a pain if it ever gets moved by a mechanic or anything.

The code in VIDA is incorrect software or something.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That's correct operation when seat module is incorrect. You get 10 seconds when ignition if first turned on to use it then it cuts out. Passenger side doesn't seem effected by this. I installed 04 S60 junkyard power passenger seat into my 02' and it works all the time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
In my 2009 XC90 the drivers seat has memory and electronics to control it. The passenger seat is plain old dumb switches and relays and electric motors. No memory. No controller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That's correct operation when seat module is incorrect. You get 10 seconds when ignition if first turned on to use it then it cuts out. Passenger side doesn't seem effected by this. I installed 04 S60 junkyard power passenger seat into my 02' and it works all the time.

That's so stupid. It's obviously capable of working it's just a software lock out to nickel and dime people and force them to the stealership.

·
Registered
951 Posts
That's so stupid. It's obviously capable of working it's just a software lock out to nickel and dime people and force them to the stealership.
A guy on the internet reports he got a snail mail letter from Volvo stating he had changed sw configuration of his ~1 year old car. Volvo demands a roll back at the nearest dealer, otherwise the case will be reported to the authorities, since "it affects a safety of the vehicle" and "changes the specification beyond authorized by the state".

What the guy did is he had ECU reloaded with a Volvo sw that has a city speed limiter. The feature is available for some markets, but not for his market. His car reported it to the mother ship over the air.

Screw Volvo.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What would they report to the authorities? That the owner modified his own car? As far as I am concerned once you paid for it you own it and can do whatever you please with it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
They report that the car is not what has been certified/approved. Happened not in US.

I need to sharpen my welding skills. MA bans sales of non-electric cars in 2035, wife suggested to buy another dumb&simple Tundra, cover it in grease and shelter in a dry place. (wife is another long time Volvo owner feeling betrayed by Volvo Cars).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Volvo was dead to me when they sold to the Chinese. Ford thing I get they had to do it to stay alive, the Chinese thing though.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Volvo was dead to me when they sold to the Chinese. Ford thing I get they had to do it to stay alive, the Chinese thing though.
Volvo has been more autonomous under Geely than they ever were under Ford. Without Geely's cash infusion, Volvo (autos) would have gone under a decade ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tabormeister

·
Registered
578 Posts
What would they report to the authorities? That the owner modified his own car? As far as I am concerned once you paid for it you own it and can do whatever you please with it.
That is so not true. Vehicles have an operating permit / type approval issued by the authorities that state that certain requirements must be met. Eg: you must have seatbelts and (these days) airbags. Seatbelts made of string are not permitted.
You must have headlamps and taillamps of approved sizes, mounting locations, quantities and colours. Green taillamps and bright red headlamps are not permitted.
You must have doors that latch close, Doors made of cardboard held on with string are not permitted
You must meet certain crash criteria and safety standards. An array of poisoned spears pointing forward are not permitted.
You must meet emissions standards. A trail of oily black smoke obscuring vision of everyone behind you is not permitted.

So you see that you cannot modify a vehicle at whim and do whatever you like to it. There are certain parameters that the vehicle must fulfil at all times.
Sure, you can change the floormats and add a blanket to the back seat. But some things cannot be changed.

So Volvo are correct in saying that their vehicle is type-approved in the supplied configuration, and adding of features not approved for the configuration or for the country of use will actually invalidate the entire vehicle type approval.

That‘s how these things work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
They report that the car is not what has been certified/approved. Happened not in US.

I need to sharpen my welding skills. MA bans sales of non-electric cars in 2035, wife suggested to buy another dumb&simple Tundra, cover it in grease and shelter in a dry place. (wife is another long time Volvo owner feeling betrayed by Volvo Cars).

Yeah I was gonna say that definitely doesn't sound like it was in the USA. lol! I'd just laugh.

·
Registered
951 Posts
You'de be surprised what they allow to be on the roads in North America.
Right, like XC90 and Tesla with a lame autopilot that gets humans killed. But that's a nuisance. Toggling a standard bit in car's standard configuration is a worse crime that has to be proactively reported to the authorities.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
As cars get more and more software in them, I suspect we'll see more of this. Right now, we can change the ECU software to alter the performance. AFAIK, no one has hacked a stability control to alter it's behavior. But, it could be done. I can see manufacturers incorporating more anti-tamper mechanisms in their cars to prevent unauthorized changes. More than just a simple PIN.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I can see manufacturers incorporating more anti-tamper mechanisms in their cars to prevent unauthorized changes. More than just a simple PIN.

I was talking to a guy just couple of weeks ago, who had the MB transmission firmware read with X-ray, pretty much the same way how late Soviet was reverse-engineering Western chips.

With enough beer everything is possible.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts