SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question keeps coming up every so often but I've yet to read a definitive answer on whether or not you can install software updates yourself without a trip to the dealer with a clone DICE unit.

I know you need to have VIDA subscription and each software package is purchased separately. I've read that Volvo won't sell you the software unless you are an authorized service provider or a dealer. Having said that I see software packages listed online from sites like Tasca which is a dealer.

Has anyone successfully installed any software package at home and if so what were the steps?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I've seen that and wondered the same thing. I've thought about ordering some inexpensive software and see if they will actually sell it to me and how they deliver it to me. Being able to get software without a VIDA subscription would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
948 Posts
I did the VIDA Online thing a few times. US and Canada guys are lucky their states pushed a law to support us, tree-shade mechanics.

VDash can also change car's configuration if you know the CEM pin, which Volvo keeps top-secret, of course. A bunch of us, Volvo fellows, came up with a solution to that problem: https://github.com/vtl/volvo-cem-cracker

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried ordering software from Tasca and it wants to charge me shipping
I did the VIDA Online thing a few times. US and Canada guys are lucky their states pushed a law to support us, tree-shade mechanics.

VDash can also change car's configuration if you know the CEM pin, which Volvo keeps top-secret, of course. A bunch of us, Volvo fellows, came up with a solution to that problem: https://github.com/vtl/volvo-cem-cracker
Good info on Vdash.

Would you mind explaining a procedure for VIDA updates? Do you buy the software packages directly from Volvo through VIDA?

I called Tasca to inquire about software update packages listed on their website and was informed that they don't actually sell them. I would have to go to the dealer to get that done. They are only required to list them on the website.

·
Registered
484 Posts
whether or not you can install software updates yourself without a trip to the dealer with a clone DICE unit. I know you need to have VIDA subscription and each software package is purchased separately.

I've read that Volvo won't sell you the software unless you are an authorized service provider or a dealer.

Has anyone successfully installed any software package at home and if so what were the steps?
Yes, you can buy a subscription and install software yourself. I have heard of others using a clone dice unit - but I've only used a DICE purchased from Volvo.

The only "authorized service provider" Is a Volvo Dealer. Volvo does not "authorize" any independent garage to work on their cars. Volvo will sell subscriptions to anyone though.

I've install maybe a hundred downloads - always to initialize a new module, remote or key, or a reload with a new transmission.

Question is: What software do you think you need? To update all software in the car to the latest versions? Are you expecting new features to be available? Updating Volvo software is not like a iPhone ios update. There is really no reason to do that (on a 2001-2007 car)

·
Registered
578 Posts
The best thing to do is first do an inventory of what software versions you have installed already, and compare it to others with the same generation / year vehicle.

Then you can see if any updates may apply to you.

If your wish is to add or remove features through software purchases, then that is different. But think carefully: each add or remove costs money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking to add software to activate fog lights and folding mirrors. Local dealer which is an hour away wants $300 each to do those so hence why I am looking to see if I can do it myself plus it would be handy to know that it can be done.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am looking to add software to activate fog lights and folding mirrors. Local dealer which is an hour away wants $300 each to do those so hence why I am looking to see if I can do it myself plus it would be handy to know that it can be done.
VIDA will tell you if it can be done. All retrofittable software loads (which are nothing more than configuration changes) are listed in VIDA, with their price. Price varies per option.

Some of the online parts suppliers use VIDA as their catalogue of parts, and thus you can look through he VIDA parts catalogue for your car (enter your VIN) online and find out if your config change is possible.

If your desired function was never intended to be retrofittable, then it won’t be listed in VIDA as a sellable option, and neither you nor the dealer can purchase it and install it through VIDA.

Some factory options were only ever factory options, with no chance to retrofit in the field. That was a marketing decision made by Volvo marketing department.

There are 3rd party tools that also allow changes to your config, also at a price, of W various items not supported by VIDA: How? Crack into the CEM config by cracking the CEM PIN, then change the CEM config. They charge a price for their tools though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Yup, have all the hardware already installed and can activate them through VIDA, just need the programming.
Vdash is gonna be cheaper than vida - the config change for foldy bois is $45 through Vdash last I checked (same boat as you with mirrors installed but not configured) @vtl I've been following your git project but am not a good programmer, do you have a precompiled version available for us luddites? (Partly tongue in cheek, I'm good at powershell and a bunch of other IT stuff but have never compiled anything before)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vdash is gonna be cheaper than vida - the config change for foldy bois is $45 through Vdash last I checked (same boat as you with mirrors installed but not configured) @vtl I've been following your git project but am not a good programmer, do you have a precompiled version available for us luddites? (Partly tongue in cheek, I'm good at powershell and a bunch of other IT stuff but have never compiled anything before)

Oh really? I took a quick look at vdash and didn't see the option to enable folding mirrors. Does Can vdash do the fogs too?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Oh really? I took a quick look at vdash and didn't see the option to enable folding mirrors. Does Can vdash do the fogs too?
Yup, you'd need to have it hooked up to your car to see all the options

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Do you need the paid version to do all this or free one will do it too?
No difference, long as you've got your CEM pin you can do whatever, most configs cost $45 or so last time I checked

·
Registered
133 Posts
VDASH can be used to crack the CEM pin AFAIK. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. VTL has the awesome github project he listed earlier to bruteforce the CEM pin.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
VDASH can be used to crack the CEM pin AFAIK. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. VTL has the awesome github project he listed earlier to bruteforce the CEM pin.
Works for p3 only - if you have a p1 or p2 try @vtl's project and report back! I had my R cracked by somebody so now I can use Vdash.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Where in Vdash do you input the CEM code after it's cracked?
Not sure, the way mine was done it auto-imported

1 - 20 of 84 Posts