SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus with eveyone here about which engine to buy.

We are going to be replacing a 2004 T6 XC90 in the near future, at most two years out. Initially I was thinking of getting the T8 due to the 400hp and associated amount of torque. After reading some of the threads and doing some research I am thinking that the T8 might not provide the same driving experience as a turbo 6 or V8 engine.

What I mean by this is the 80hp electric motor can only supply its power for a limited time before having to recharge. With a turbo 6 or V8 the power is there as long as you have fuel in the tank. Another point with the T8 is that it weighs about 500lb more than the T6 and as we all know weight is a performance and fuel economy killer. I do not see the benefit of hauling around an extra 500lb of dead weight while the electric motor is out of juice.

Another variable is the new Concept 4 engine that is rated at 450hp. Perhaps in a year or so might Volvo install a 350hp or 375hp version of this engine in an updated T6.

What to do you guys/gals think about this.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am strongly supportive of the T6 of the two options. I believe the electric engine adds a great deal to the expense (initial and ongoing) for limited benefit. The electric motor is really more appealing from a fuel economy perspective than the additional power. One thing to keep in mind is that the battery for the T8 will need to be replaced in the future. My understanding is that the battery is several thousand dollars.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The T8 battery will not need to be replaced for a long time. Even 1st gen prius batteries are doing very well after 10yrs.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The T8 battery will not need to be replaced for a long time. Even 1st gen prius batteries are doing very well after 10yrs.
And I know Priuses are still using copper-ion batteries (as opposed to the more energy dense and expensive lithium-ion batteries Volvo will be using), but imagine how cheap batteries for car will be in 10 years? The cost of Prius batteries has come down to less than a fifth of what they cost just 6 or 7 years ago. The usage of batteries in cars is only going to expand, so prices will only continue to fall.

·
Registered
496 Posts
According to European pricelist the T8 comes with 8 years or 160K km (100K miles) warranty.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I doubt the battery charge is going to be an issue unless you plan on using the gas engine as little as possible (electric mode.) I don't think the electric motor is going to be utilized enough to drain the batteries so much that it'll affect drivability. The gas engine is charging the batteries as you drive.
I'd love the T8 but I doubt it'll fit within my budget. Maybe a few years from now.....

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Go for the T8! The V60 Plug-in Hybrid is an amazing car and the XC90 T8 will be even more amazing!

To bad it's so !"#€%& expensive in Sweden. The XC90 T8 Inscription I want costs $130K! :mad:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The gas engine is charging the batteries as you drive.
Why do people keep saying this? Under normal circumstances and operation, the gas engine does not charge the battery! It's amazing how widely misunderstood hybrid plugins are.

In pure mode, the gas engine is never even on! Under pure or hybrid operation, the battery is getting drained. The only thing putting juice back into it is energy recovered from braking. Once the battery hits it's low threshold (1/3 capacity), that's it. All that's left is normal hybrid mode where braking from 50mph recovers enough energy to get rolling to, I'm guessing, 5-10mph . That 1/3 of the battery is reserved for normal hybrid mode.

There is an exception. There is a mode where you can FORCE the gas engine to charge the battery. If you are in this mode and you are recharging your battery from the gas engine you are getting worse efficiency than even a regular T6.

The gas engine charging the battery is the least efficient way to charge the battery.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Porsches KERS set up in its plugin hybrids (pamamera/cayenne) recovers both braking regeneration and recovers engine power lost during shifting.........does the XC90 T8 have a similar KERS setup?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is an exception. There is a mode where you can FORCE the gas engine to charge the battery. If you are in this mode and you are recharging your battery from the gas engine you are getting worse efficiency than even a regular T6.
This is where the hybrid drive becomes a real liability.

Lets say you are driving a T8 on a long distance drive mainly on interstates (that are not clogged up with traffic). What benefit does the hybrid drive give in this situation? I would love 400hp but I am not so sure that this set up will be for everyone.

·
Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
I've opted for a T6 because I've owned two plug-in vehicles and my kWh rate is so high here it's as cheap to just put gas in. There's also such a non existent infrastructure for charging around here it's just not worth the added money, TO ME. I do understand though that for many they make sense and I am glad to see more plug-ins being made by more manufacturers.

I will say driving in EV is a blast but I've had my fun, back to a regular ol' gasser for me.

Oh, one other thing I personally don't like with plug-ins is the deletion of a spare tire. With the pot holes we have around here, and as I found out in my Volt, having them come out to tow you for free is nice but it takes up WAY more time from my day than just being able to throw on my spare and go.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've opted for a T6 because I've owned two plug-in vehicles and my kWh rate is so high here it's as cheap to just put gas in. There's also such a non existent infrastructure for charging around here it's just not worth the added money, TO ME. I do understand though that for many they make sense and I am glad to see more plug-ins being made by more manufacturers.

I will say driving in EV is a blast but I've had my fun, back to a regular ol' gasser for me.

Oh, one other thing I personally don't like with plug-ins is the deletion of a spare tire. With the pot holes we have around here, and as I found out in my Volt, having them come out to tow you for free is nice but it takes up WAY more time from my day than just being able to throw on my spare and go.
Interesting. Now that I've had my Volt for two years, I'm having trouble considering anything but a plug-in for my next ride or as a replacement for my wife's XC60 RD. Hoping for an XC60 T8.

·
Registered
108 Posts
we are leaning heavily towards the T8. Most of our weekday driving is less than 5-10 miles one way (school, groceries, restaurants, shopping) and I hope to be in pure electric most of the time during the regular weekday. Only gas use should be on the weekends for longer trips. The alternative is a diesel MG GL350, mainly for the range as well as room and reliability. Depending on the price premium and the tax advantages of the PEH we'll get one or the other this coming summer hopefully.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
we are leaning heavily towards the T8. Most of our weekday driving is less than 5-10 miles one way (school, groceries, restaurants, shopping) and I hope to be in pure electric most of the time during the regular weekday. Only gas use should be on the weekends for longer trips. The alternative is a diesel MG GL350, mainly for the range as well as room and reliability. Depending on the price premium and the tax advantages of the PEH we'll get one or the other this coming summer hopefully.
For short distances diesel is not a good choice, the engine needs a proper warming up until it reaches its efficient operation mode

·
Registered
496 Posts
we are leaning heavily towards the T8. Most of our weekday driving is less than 5-10 miles one way (school, groceries, restaurants, shopping) and I hope to be in pure electric most of the time during the regular weekday.
Same thoughts!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'll be getting a 2016 built D5 R design in Bursting blue (maybe in Matte finish) with 2,700kg towing capacity, HUD, 360 degree camera, air suspension, 22" wheels, B&W stereo and anything else that comes attached to those in packages here in Australia. There has been no information released apart from pricing and the R Design starts @ $98K + on road costs (probably another $5k) I was contemplating a D5 PHEV or D6 or D8 or whatever they would call it but the T8 R Design compared to the T6 R Design is $21,000 more expensive!!

My opinion is that you can't comapre a Volt to the XC90. I doubt anyone could just drive the XC90 on electric power in stop start traffic. A quick google came up with the following

3800 lb 150hp 17 Kwh battery, 370 ft lb 0-60 9.2 electric - Volt
5180 lb 100hp 200 ft lb - XC90 T8 (V60 D6 has 11.2 Kwh battery)

The new XC90 weighs 1400 pounds more, has only 2/3rd's the power and just over half the torque of the Volt. There is no way the 0-60 time for the XC90 on electricity will be sub 10 seconds.
It depends what the fuel ecomony is like in all the driving modes, how the car is driven and cost of electricity which will ascertain if the T8 is a viable option.

Regards,

Michael

1 - 20 of 111 Posts