SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see it in the manual but is there a way to default the camera (when going into reverse) to default to the 360 camera? Using that is my preference. Or even better, a view that shows both 360 and rear camera.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm...I wonder if that is CDN/EU models only. Screenshot from the US owner manual.
Text Font Line Document

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hmmmm...I wonder if that is CDN/EU models only. Screenshot from the US owner manual.
View attachment 49167
If you read a little bit below what you have highlighted it says that it will start in 360 if this was the last viewed function otherwise will go to rear.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cripes...RTFM Joe LOL
Thanks!
I should have played with it more (just picked it up last night)...work gets in the way of life.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cripes...RTFM Joe LOL
Thanks!
I should have played with it more (just picked it up last night)...work gets in the way of life.
US owner here. I would love it if the ability to default to 360 degree camera (if that was the last used view) was enabled in the US. I got excited for a moment and went out to the car to try it. However, it does not work.

Pity there isn't the ability to pick and choose from some of the apparently different CA/US/EU features independent of region. Some differences may be due to different regulations while some just seem to be Volvo's (mis)perception of the preferences for each market.

If I had my way it would be a dual 360/rear view like other cars

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
US owner here. I would love it if the ability to default to 360 degree camera (if that was the last used view) was enabled in the US. I got excited for a moment and went out to the car to try it. However, it does not work.
I was thinking I had set it to 360 and when I reversed again it did not default but I wasn't specifically watching for it so was going to try again this eve. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The camera is basically useless in the USA. You have to re-select it each time. On my 2017 XC90 T8 in NY, I must have used it the first day, to test it, then never again. It's just not practical, to think you have time to click through menus, as you are parking. I also have a SPA XC90 in Italy and it works like a charm.

But I wonder if the rear camera is better on the XC60s. On the 90s, it points down, and the rear lights are very weak at night, making it... well, not very useful either.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went out at lunch and monkeyed with it. The 360 view does not persist. Even if you set it to 360, drive a bit and then reverse again without shutting off the car. Seems like a software update would take care of that.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Current US Safety regulations require that when engaging reverse, the camera automatically defaults to rear view. I'm now in the habit of automatically selecting 360 as it appears on the screen every time I engage reverse.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My GLC showed rear and 360 simultaneously so I got used to that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Current US Safety regulations require that when engaging reverse, the camera automatically defaults to rear view. I'm now in the habit of automatically selecting 360 as it appears on the screen every time I engage reverse.
You learn something new every day.. I thought it works the same everywhere.. your DOT regulations are really ridiculous, btw.. :facepalm:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the 360 view is quite expansive...especially compared to some others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 2016 version of software allowed you to select 360 as default for reverse. When new regulations came out requiring all new vehicles to be equipped with backup cameras Volvo changed software to default to rearview camera. It would seem that the 360 view does not qualify as a rearview camera

·
Registered
167 Posts
This is as annoying as the start/stop nonsense. I park in tight spaces at the office and the 360 view is helpful there. The back camera is useless to tell the distance to the cars already parked in both sides.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I didn't see it in the manual but is there a way to default the camera (when going into reverse) to default to the 360 camera? Using that is my preference. Or even better, a view that shows both 360 and rear camera.
Bringing this back on topic, for US market vehicles, the rear camera is apparently mandatory by regulation. Of course, a dual split screen is permissible and it has been suggested as an enhancement.

Will be nice to have split screen at least until 360° is a permissible default like elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd like to ask you a question as a Volvo tech: One of my pet peeves in the 2018+ Volvos is the doing away of the option to disable the auto door locking when the car starts to move (it was possible to disable this in 2016 and earlier Volvos, if not also 2017, and other car brands still allow you to do this in new models, so it's not a government mandate). Do you know of a way that a tech can disable that permanently? Lots of people I know hate the sound of all the doors locking automatically; if there's one thing I don't want government or Volvo doing, it's locking me in my car against my will.

·
Registered
83 Posts
it's pretty obvious, but just in case asked the dealer if region can be changed and of course it can not. Looking forward for some hack. Otherwise installing Android box

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd like to ask you a question as a Volvo tech: One of my pet peeves in the 2018+ Volvos is the doing away of the option to disable the auto door locking when the car starts to move (it was possible to disable this in 2016 and earlier Volvos, if not also 2017, and other car brands still allow you to do this in new models, so it's not a government mandate). Do you know of a way that a tech can disable that permanently?
I asked in a separate thread and the consensus was no.

·
Registered
687 Posts
i most times don't notice the sound of the locks but the locked doors do make me feel a little safer in the event of a bad accident as the locked doors are designed to keep me safe in the car. thank you volvo.
also
i presume most writers here live and drive in an urban or suburban area. here in vermont where it snows all winter and there are dirt roads everywhere, the inability to clean the cameras when cleaning the rear window is a big irritation. the only camera which is usually clean is the front one. the cameras mounted on the mirrors along with the gate camera are always covered in dirt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts