SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the new (or previous) XC90 is able to detect and avoid deer at highway speeds? I can't find anything in the literature that refers to deer, although there are a few references to Swedish moose! And I see that Volvo is also working on kangaroo-avoidance technology in Australia

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I don't beleive the current system, even in the new xc90, has deer/animal detection. If I remember earlier convo's about this, perhaps down the line some years from now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thought that was a feature which was was going to be incorporated starting with the 2017 models from factory and via SW update for the previous models?

·
Registered
54 Posts
A few years ago, some of the Cadillacs had a night vision feature which was great because you could see the deer plain as day just before you hit them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought that was a feature which was was going to be incorporated starting with the 2017 models from factory and via SW update for the previous models?
I don't know if we can count on it working via software upgrade. When cyclist detection was added to City Safety it was not upgradable due to the increased processing power required:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21688765

·
Registered
372 Posts
this article was from 2 years ago. we don't know what kind of processor/hardware is being used now in the XC90. I guess time will tell if it is SW upgradeable.

·
Registered
398 Posts
??? Kangaroo???

XC70 2011 D5
Volvo are testing software for animals. Here is an article with Volvo XC90 testing with Kangaroos in Australia. Like any animals they can make a mess of your car if you hit them and unpredictable. I have had a few cross my path over the years. I date say I they get it right with Kangaroos it can be used with any animal coming across your path.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volvo/xc90/93298/kangaroo-avoidance-tech-coming-to-new-volvos

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
I opened a threat on KANGAROOS and VOLVO... Believe it or not...while ago
Imagine writing the code for this function and then going out to test in the field :)
You are trying to protect people and animals in the process but for sure a few crashes while testing until you get it right. However animals are unpredictable. I had once driving at 40km a kangaroo jump right over the top of the bonnet of the car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I have driven a kangaroo once in AU... That wasnt funny, no power seats or steering...no nothing. Only hope I had was to not hit a V O L VO ...

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
Does anyone know if the new (or previous) XC90 is able to detect and avoid deer at highway speeds? I can't find anything in the literature that refers to deer, although there are a few references to Swedish moose! And I see that Volvo is also working on kangaroo-avoidance technology in Australia
For now the best thing for that is the high beams on full auto. They are so absurdly bright they light up the road and ditches from fence to fence, and ground to medium size tree top. It's as close as you can get to daylight like light for about 75 yards up the road.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Swedish moose.., American deer... Almost the same. Dont think we will find switches MOOSE DEER KANG

XC70 2011 D5
Then there is the american Moose... and that is something you hit a tree before the moose. What about Dogs ect.... I doubt it will ever be fully finished.
There are too many variables. Humans are a lot easier to recognize.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts