SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum (as well as our first Volvo). We just put a deposit down for a new XC90 Momentum trim and had a couple of questions related to the order sheet print out that we received from the dealer. This forum has been really useful for us to select the XC90 as our vehicle of choice (we were looking at the X5 before) and we were hoping that someone on this forum could help answer our questions. We already called Volvo NA but they could not help us.

Essentially, we are trying to decode the options list that the dealer printed out for our vehicle. We ordered the Onyx Black exterior with Amber interior along with the Momentum Plus package, 20" matte wheels, and black headliner. Here is how the vehicle looks on the order sheet:

XC90 T6 AWD MOM Onyx Black RA20 Amber Leathe PPF
Options: XC90T MOMP METP, CHARCO 20"WHE

Most of the options listed are obvious/clear for me - except for CHARCO and METP. I am primarily interested to see if anyone knows what the CHARCO option stands for. The dealer insists it is the Charcoal headliner. I am not too sure since the options list on the Volvo site states it is a "Black" headliner. I am really worried that the Black headliner option is missing on my order and that CHARCO may refer to the dash/carpet color. To add to the confusion, the dealer is also saying that new XC90s with the Amber interior are have the Charcoal headliner by default (Volvo NA insists that the headliner color is Blond unless the Black headliner option is ordered).

I would be really grateful if someone in the know can shed some light on this. I would hate to find out that I have a Blond headliner instead of Black when I pick up my vehicle (around Nov 15th). Does anyone know for sure what the CHARCO option signifies? Thanks in advance..

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forum (as well as our first Volvo). We just put a deposit down for a new XC90 Momentum trim and had a couple of questions related to the order sheet print out that we received from the dealer. This forum has been really useful for us to select the XC90 as our vehicle of choice (we were looking at the X5 before) and we were hoping that someone on this forum could help answer our questions. We already called Volvo NA but they could not help us.

Essentially, we are trying to decode the options list that the dealer printed out for our vehicle. We ordered the Onyx Black exterior with Amber interior along with the Momentum Plus package, 20" matte wheels, and black headliner. Here is how the vehicle looks on the order sheet:

XC90 T6 AWD MOM Onyx Black RA20 Amber Leathe PPF
Options: XC90T MOMP METP, CHARCO 20"WHE

Most of the options listed are obvious/clear for me - except for CHARCO and METP. I am primarily interested to see if anyone knows what the CHARCO option stands for. The dealer insists it is the Charcoal headliner. I am not too sure since the options list on the Volvo site states it is a "Black" headliner. I am really worried that the Black headliner option is missing on my order and that CHARCO may refer to the dash/carpet color. To add to the confusion, the dealer is also saying that new XC90s with the Amber interior are have the Charcoal headliner by default (Volvo NA insists that the headliner color is Blond unless the Black headliner option is ordered).

I would be really grateful if someone in the know can shed some light on this. I would hate to find out that I have a Blond headliner instead of Black when I pick up my vehicle (around Nov 15th). Does anyone know for sure what the CHARCO option signifies? Thanks in advance..
Your retailer is correct; CHARCO stands for Charcoal Headliner or, as some like to call it, Black Headliner. METP stands for Metallic Paint since Onyx Black is a metallic paint and does incur the metallic paint surcharge.

The Charcoal Headliner is not standard; it is a single option with a price tag of $200.

Are you sure you do not want the Convenience package? it is a great package with some fantastic convenience and safety features.

You got a very nice color/interior combination.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
In Ireland RA20 means:-
Blond headlining.
Amber seats and door panels.
Charcoal everything else. Charcoal is Volvo-speak for black, EXCEPT for headlinings. Black headlining is only available with R-design in Ireland.

Your dealer seems wrong about charcoal being the default headlining but the reiteration of 'charco' in your order may refer to the headlining.

My brief time here on Swedespeed has convinced me that the NSA should be replaced by Volvo immediately, since Volvo are MUCH better at keeping everything secret. Edward Snowden wouldn't have had a chance hacking Volvo!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your retailer is correct; CHARCO stands for Charcoal Headliner or, as some like to call it, Black Headliner. METP stands for Metallic Paint since Onyx Black is a metallic paint and does incur the metallic paint surcharge.

The Charcoal Headliner is not standard; it is a single option with a price tag of $200.

Are you sure you do not want the Convenience package? it is a great package with some fantastic convenience and safety features.

You got a very nice color/interior combination.
Thank you so much for confirming that my vehicle includes the Charcoal/Black headliner. Really appreciate it. I can breathe easy now. :)

We debated about going for the Convenience package but ultimately decided against it. One thing that made the decision was that on our test drive, whenever I changed lanes (without signalling), the lane keeping assist vibrated my steering wheel which was annoying - not sure if it is intelligent enough to recognize that I am changing lanes. Turning it off defeats the purpose. I am open to adding in the Convenience package if others on the forum have had better experience with the lane keeping assist feature. I didn't find too much information on it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Using the turn-signal to notify other drivers you are about to change lanes also tells the lane-keeper to allow you to make the move. if I was allowed only one option, it would be the convenience pkg.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In Ireland RA20 means:-
Blond headlining.
Amber seats and door panels.
Charcoal everything else. Charcoal is Volvo-speak for black, EXCEPT for headlinings. Black headlining is only available with R-design in Ireland.

Your dealer seems wrong about charcoal being the default headlining but the reiteration of 'charco' in your order may refer to the headlining.

My brief time here on Swedespeed has convinced me that the NSA should be replaced by Volvo immediately, since Volvo are MUCH better at keeping everything secret. Edward Snowden wouldn't have had a chance hacking Volvo!
Good one! :)
I kind of got that impression while researching the car. Seems like I had to spend much more time than I expected to really get a handle on everything. What was really surprising that Volvo NA did not have too much additional info other than what was listed on the website. For example, the online configurator shows a black headliner by default when selecting the Amber interior. I had to get a hold of the Swedish configurator to get the real picture.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Using the turn-signal to notify other drivers you are about to change lanes also tells the lane-keeper to allow you to make the move. if I was allowed only one option, it would be the convenience pkg.
Okay, thanks for your inputs. I figured that the warning would not sound if I use my turn signals. I guess the system will make me a better driver. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Good one! :)
I kind of got that impression while researching the car. Seems like I had to spend much more time than I expected to really get a handle on everything. What was really surprising that Volvo NA did not have too much additional info other than what was listed on the website. For example, the online configurator shows a black headliner by default when selecting the Amber interior. I had to get a hold of the Swedish configurator to get the real picture.
The XC90 is a car that deserves to be explained better. Volvo are hiding their light under a bushel.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 P8 Recharge in Sage Green!
73 Posts
As a dealer, I print out the configuration that the customer is ordering from the Volvocars.com website. That way everything is crystal clear to the customer.
My two cents - I love the Vision Package.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Thank you so much for confirming that my vehicle includes the Charcoal/Black headliner. Really appreciate it. I can breathe easy now. :)
No problem, glad to help.

We debated about going for the Convenience package but ultimately decided against it. One thing that made the decision was that on our test drive, whenever I changed lanes (without signalling), the lane keeping assist vibrated my steering wheel which was annoying - not sure if it is intelligent enough to recognize that I am changing lanes. Turning it off defeats the purpose. I am open to adding in the Convenience package if others on the forum have had better experience with the lane keeping assist feature. I didn't find too much information on it.
I am only replying to ensure that you are omitting the Convenience package for the right reasons. As mentioned above, the steering wheel will vibrate and guide you back in the lane if you are not using the turning signal. Additionally, you can choose to turn it off however I think it is a fantastic active safety feature; as long as you use the turning signal, when changing lanes, it will defeat that feedback (plus, you should use the turning signal each time you change lanes ;) ).

Take another look at this package...it is a package that has the most meaningful content, among all available options (in my opinion, of course; it is you who will be paying). :cool:

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
More importantly, the Lane Keeping Assist can help steering the car back to lane when it goes to the lane mark not intentionally in case you are not steering in time. I can see this saves life of some sleepy/tired drivers. The little warning of steering wheel shaking when you cross lane on purpose is so easy to overcome, just signal it always. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem, glad to help.

I am only replying to ensure that you are omitting the Convenience package for the right reasons. As mentioned above, the steering wheel will vibrate and guide you back in the lane if you are not using the turning signal. Additionally, you can choose to turn it off however I think it is a fantastic active safety feature; as long as you use the turning signal, when changing lanes, it will defeat that feedback (plus, you should use the turning signal each time you change lanes ;) ).

Take another look at this package...it is a package that has the most meaningful content, among all available options (in my opinion, of course; it is you who will be paying). :cool:
Thanks. Do you know if "Rear Park Assist" and "Distance Alert" are included in the base model or do they only come with the Convenience Package? Also, can the "Lane Departure" setting be stored in the driver profile? This way I can turn it off for me but enable it in my wife's profile. Sorry for asking so many questions. Unfortunately, none of this was very clear even after reading through the owner's manual.

I visited the dealer yesterday and he told me that I have until Wednesday to make any changes (such as adding the Convenience Package) before the config gets locked down. Also, after researching some more, it seems that HUD would serve as a good complement to the Convenience Package.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Thanks. Do you know if "Rear Park Assist" and "Distance Alert" are included in the base model or do they only come with the Convenience Package?
They are not standard features; they are part of the Convenience package.

Also, can the "Lane Departure" setting be stored in the driver profile? This way I can turn it off for me but enable it in my wife's profile. Sorry for asking so many questions. Unfortunately, none of this was very clear even after reading through the owner's manual.
I am not sure about that one...perhaps, someone else can chime in.

I visited the dealer yesterday and he told me that I have until Wednesday to make any changes (such as adding the Convenience Package) before the config gets locked down. Also, after researching some more, it seems that HUD would serve as a good complement to the Convenience Package.
HUD is great. If you can swing both, get them. Otherwise, I place more importance on the Convenience package.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I seems read in the OSD price list that "Rear parking assist" is standard (using radar sensor). Front parking assist is in convenience package.
See http://www.flyvolvo.com/XC90MY16.pdf

There is no saved driver profile so far, though desired by many owners here.

HUD is very good on such a high tech car and low cost.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Somewhere online is a downloadable version of the 2016 XC90 manual. Interesting reading. Highly recommended before delivery date.;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks to both of you for your inputs. I guess I will send a message to Volvo NA to see if they can confirm if Rear Park Assist is part of the base package. If so, I will probably skip the Convenience Package especially since I cannot store Lane Departure settings in the driver profile (plus we don't really need the adaptive cruise control and park assist pilot).

Also, one thing interesting that I saw in the new OSD brochure is that you can now order the linear wood trim as a stand-alone option on the Momentum trim.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Somewhere online is a downloadable version of the 2016 XC90 manual. Interesting reading. Highly recommended before delivery date.;)
It really helps to read every page of the city safety and driver assist features. But there are simply too many pages for the entire manual.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Thanks to both of you for your inputs. I guess I will send a message to Volvo NA to see if they can confirm if Rear Park Assist is part of the base package. If so, I will probably skip the Convenience Package especially since I cannot store Lane Departure settings in the driver profile (plus we don't really need the adaptive cruise control and park assist pilot).

Also, one thing interesting that I saw in the new OSD brochure is that you can now order the linear wood trim as a stand-alone option on the Momentum trim.
For the driving profile, I have to clarify. There is one custom drive mode where you can save some settings such as steering stiffness, etc. Not sure if LKA setting can be saved there. However there is no multiple profiles for drivers based on key, or the seat memory choice.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Rear Park Assist is standard on all U.S.-bound XC90 T6 AWDs.

The Adaptive Cruise Control w/ LKA is a great feature (very handy when you drive tired, at night or any other time or when you are stuck in endless traffic; you just set the cruise control and you can crawl in traffic without too much input on the gas or brake pedal which adds to the fatigue).

At any rate, you will be getting a great car!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts