SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Deck Error

25K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  chongkan 
#1 ·
2004.5 Volvo S40 T5 premium deck six disc in dash cd player. I changed out the battery on this thing today, and now i'm getting deck error on the cd player, it lets me switch to am/fm but i get deck error on the cd player. Bad deck or do i need a code.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: (sweedish muscle)

I've never experienced this problem, but I have had weird stuff happen with my sound system. I am curious though: Are you really from a placed called Humble, TX? I didn't think there would be such a name in Texas, as Texans aren't too humble about "everything is bigger/better in Texas." Not trying to be mean or anything, I just found it funny.

#7 ·

That's funny...I guess Humility is bigger in Texas, too.
I've got a couple buddies in Texas, and like most Texans they love it.

Have you tried to disconnect the whole deck from the wiring? Maybe that will do a hard reset for the deck...

#10 ·

Bad news man. I have the same set up, and mine read deck error about three months ago. I tried unhooking the battery, changing the disks, pressing pretty much every button on the car, but nothing worked. I took it to the dealer and they said that there is nothing they can do to fix it, and you have to pay the ridiculous $745 for the new deck and install... They'll send you your CDs later. I got mine about 2 weeks ago. Sorry man...

#11 ·
remove the deck, open it and get the cd's out. with a bit of luck it starts working again.

Did it once already on a friends car.

#13 ·
Re: (mJrO)

Quote, originally posted by mJrO »
remove the deck, open it and get the cd's out. with a bit of luck it starts working again.

Did it once already on a friends car.

Have you taken apart this specific Deck? Cause I have and it is damn near impossible to salvage anything if you want to even think about putting it all back together!

Deck Error = $745 replacement bill from Volvo *No Exceptions* (thus far)

#14 ·
Re: (s40boy)

I have successfully taken the deck apart and put back together. Unfortunately my deck error was a result of a plastic spindle breaking. This is why the CD would not eject. I was able to retrieve my CD, but the deck is toast. I do have it if somewhere if anyone needs parts to solve a different problem. I also have a good single CD player that a recycling yard sold me as a 6 CD Player and would not take it back (because it was an electronic item). If looking for a fix, recycling yards could be an answer at less than $745 but make sure you get the correct unit. I ended up with one from a 2006 C70 and it works perfectly in my 2005 S40 without any reprogramming. The second time I made sure the part numbers matched before I paid for it and did not go just on the yard person's word!

#15 ·
I have successfully taken the deck apart and put back together. Unfortunately my deck error was a result of a plastic spindle breaking. This is why the CD would not eject. I was able to retrieve my CD, but the deck is toast. I do have it if somewhere if anyone needs parts to solve a different problem. I also have a good single CD player that a recycling yard sold me as a 6 CD Player and would not take it back (because it was an electronic item). If looking for a fix, recycling yards could be an answer at less than $745 but make sure you get the correct unit. I ended up with one from a 2006 C70 and it works perfectly in my 2005 S40 without any reprogramming. The second time I made sure the part numbers matched before I paid for it and did not go just on the yard person's word!
interesting, I got a changer on eBay and once I hooked it up, the from closed and won't allow cd in at all, like its locked.

#16 ·
There is a chance that the unit you purchased off of eBay is broken (assuming it has matching part numbers). After retrieving my CD, I reinstalled my original unit until I was able to get the replacement 6 CD Player. However with the broken plastic spindle, it would not load any CD's. I would not get a "Deck Error' message since there were no CD's in the player.

#19 ·
I had a 12 cd changer, out of a trunk mount, Bose System not work for me. There is a place in Syracuse NY that repairs all types of car audio hardware. Here is the link.

http://unitedradio.com/automotive/

I believe that this is the place. For $200 they fixed it 6 years ago and it still works as I just sold it on Ebay and the buyer installed it in his older Vette and it works. From the website it appears that they know what they are doing.

#21 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, I also recently started experiencing the same problem (single cd player keeps trying but won't play) and was thinking about pulling it apart, but sounds like it is an unlikely fix that is not worth the effort. Living with it for the time being. I've already had the lcd screen replaced under warranty when it became all pixelated for some reason. I wish there was some kind of extended warranty/TSB/recall for this deck error.

#24 · (Edited)
If I got the Deck Error as well, can I simply purchase a used CD player online and replace it myself without having to reprogram it with VIDA or going to the dealership for some software config?

I'm in fact replacing a broken 6CD player for a used 1CD player, so I can later purchase the adapter for connecting to an mp3 player.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.