Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Average-Mileage 2017 XC60 T6

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I realize that it can be very subjective, let me provide some context. I love my 2010 XC60 T6, even though I've experienced many of the well-known issues (i.e. windshield replacement because of leakage; speedometer module in dash failing - it's still pooched) but I love the feel of the car and I've put 160,000 km on it after the original owner's 90K. But it's time for an upgrade.

I have two choices: a 2014 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD with only 64,000 km $23.5K or a 2017 Volvo XC60 AWD T6 Drive-E Premier with 97 for $29K. The money isn't really an issue either way, other than I know there's always repairs and having a bigger slush fund for that is always good. But I'm more interested in the changes that happen over model years. I'm really not familiar with the Drive-E - is it worth the extra money in this example, or would a guy who's been very happy with the performance and mileage of my 2010 be just as happy with the 2014 version?

My main need isn't having a newer model year or fancier fittings, but reliability and power. I live in a rural area where our last 3km is self-maintained in Northern Canadian winters. My XC60 walks through snow and ice nicely, and has been, for the most part, dependable. That's my primary need.

I'm really interested to hear people's take on this. Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance
JesseC
Muskoka, Ontario, Canada

·
Registered
24 Posts
Definitely the 2014. The new drive-e just doesn’t do it for me, and probably won’t do it for you either coming from the 3.0.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I agree that the 2014 with the 6 cylinder T6 is probably the way I’d go.

The only real advantage to the 2017 is the transmission (it’s an 8 speed vs a 6 speed in the 2014).

Power should be comparable but the inline 6 has a timing chain and won’t require servicing like the timing belt of the drive E engines. I also think the power is smoother (though I’ve only driven the drive e engines a little bit).

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have a 2014 T6 3.0L. With Polestar tuning, that's definitely the way to go for power and responsiveness. The only negative I had from the start are low battery charge messages. I've never been stranded anywhere, but it's annoying to get a low battery message 20-30% of the time I start the car. One difference between 2014 and 2017 will also be the newer Sensus.

Reactions: Moxy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only negative I had from the start are low battery charge messages. I've never been stranded anywhere, but it's annoying to get a low battery message 20-30% of the time I start the car.
Sitting with the radio on for longer than five minutes triggers the low battery warning on my 2010 XC60. It fires up fine afterwards, but it seems odd that such a low draw on a new battery would throw that warning.

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
I've always been a fan of low mile older cars myself. I think the transmission is better on the new one but the early drive e motors sometimes had ring problems, that if they haven't been resolved on that particular vehicle, might give you the opportunity to be the one that resolves them. With any used car, how well they've been cared for nearly matters as much as the sum of all other considerations.

You mention the upgrades being important but we don't know anything about either of these cars. A loaded 14 might well have nicer options than a base 17. Overall there aren't too many major changes, so it would again go back to the individual vehicles you're considering.

Reactions: Moxy

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
Sitting with the radio on for longer than five minutes triggers the low battery warning on my 2010 XC60. It fires up fine afterwards, but it seems odd that such a low draw on a new battery would throw that warning.
Have you both tried resetting the BMS? There's a hack online that worked for me.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Have you both tried resetting the BMS? There's a hack online that worked for me.
Yes, been to the dealer several times, multiple tests by them, BMS, battery replacements, software update, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts