SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for all the input in this forum and thread. I'm going to be a first time Volvo owner, and just put the deposit for my XC90.

After spending hours at the dealer who kindly let me go back and forth between the Momentum and Inscription, I am still in a bit of a quandary.

For the driver position, the moment I sat on the napa leather, along with side bolster and cushion extender, I was "home." It was so comfy I have no doubt I can last hours without issues on that seat. This will be our primary vacation car, and I will likely be the primary driver. So

As a passenger, comfort between the napa and regular seat was 50:50, which I thought was a bit strange initially. But I find that when I try to nap as a passenger, I lean in such a way, that I feel just as comfortable with the Momentum :). Also, I was planning on getting the blond with charcoal. I find that the perforated napa doesn't look as good on the blond, compared to charcoal.

I seriously was trying to just stick with Momentum +, and convenience package to save some money. However, the suppleness of the leather really gets me, and the leather dash is just so beautiful, and comfortable to touch. The seat with the side bolster and cushion extender was just money! If I were to get the Inscription, I would probably add the Vision, and B&W as well, which then adds the whole price by 9,000 or so.

What do you guys think? I value your input.

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
535 Posts
Inscription gives a much luxurious interior with much softer leather. The passenger seat can be adjusted in the same way as the driver’s seat, so at the end you will find your "home" as a passenger as well.

The Momentum leather is less soft, but seems to be more resistant. Members here with children believe Momentum leather is more practical.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have children... but they're 10 and 13, so well beyond the destructive age :).

·
Registered
838 Posts
I think you should get whatever makes you happy. You only live once, if you can afford the more expensive one... go for it.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
For how long do you plan to own or lease this particular car? That might be a factor to consider.

I justified my choices because I keep a car for 7-15 years and because this may be my last factory-ordered car. Personally, I went with the Inscription, Vision and B&W because I finally had the opportunity to buy what I really wanted rather than being forced to buy what was on the lot. I agree - whatever makes you happy with no regrets.

·
Registered
60 Posts
We were torn as well between the two. Decided with the momentum because the seats can take a beating. We have two kids ages 3 and 0. We live in Atlanta and i cannot live without the ventilated seats but had to take on for the fam. The two lexus we have now have the ventilated seats.

The Napa leather is just not practical. If we got that we would have ended up either spoiling it or covering it. So for us, momentum was the way to go. It also saves some dollars for other options.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got the inscription solely because of the ventilated seats. Otherwise I would have gotten the momentum plus. I really like the Napa leather though, even if it is slightly less durable it's so soft.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Same here. Although our kids are older, doesn't mean they make any less mess. Since this is a family hauler for us, wanted something with durable leather and kind of like the wood inlay that comes with the momentum. I also like the momentum+ look better with the glossy black grill. Don't care of the silver grill. We ordered the Momentum + with Osmium grey and blond interior and with the 20" upgraded rims. IMO it looks for sportier. In addition, going with the momentum allowed us to add more of the features we wanted as the Inscription would have added $3-$4K to the price tag. We wanted the luxury, features, but still at a good value considering we're paying full MSRP. To give you an idea, we got our Momentum for $57K which includes the Osmium grey paint, 20" rims, momentum + pkg., convenience pkg., climate pkg., and vision pkg. If we had chosen the Inscription, then we would have been near $61K with all of the relevant options. But if price is not a factor, then go with what you will be happy with especially if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. Despite what all of us say, you need to get what feels right to you and your family.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Go with your gut....if you plan to keep it for the long hall and you love the Inscription, go for it!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I do have children... but they're 10 and 13, so well beyond the destructive age :).
Oh really? :). Ages 13 to 14 are when dogs turn into cats.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
On Momentum+ you can upgrade the seats to nappa contour seats with side bolster and front extension as well for $1400, just no ventilation. If you live in an area that needs to cool down or warm up the seats faster then ventilation is really useful. For me I can live with this package (Momentum+ and this, is $3300) instead of going $5600 to Inscription. But Inscription is only $2300 more and you get ventilation seats, the leather dash, integrated rear side window shades, and more exterior chromes.

So it is a choice up to your budget. Either way it is very nice.

Also Vision is what I'd get anyway. Just love the 360 degree view and BLIS is also very useful.
B&W is up to you. I probably can live without it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have ventilated seats in my current car and rarely use them, even inthe summer. I do, however, use the heated seats and heated steering wheel all the time in the winter.

·
Registered
192 Posts
On Momentum+ you can upgrade the seats to nappa contour seats with side bolster and front extension as well for $1400, just no ventilation. If you live in an area that needs to cool down or warm up the seats faster then ventilation is really useful. For me I can live with this package (Momentum+ and this, is $3300) instead of going $5600 to Inscription. But Inscription is only $2300 more and you get ventilation seats, the leather dash, integrated rear side window shades, and more exterior chromes.

So it is a choice up to your budget. Either way it is very nice.

Also Vision is what I'd get anyway. Just love the 360 degree view and BLIS is also very useful.
B&W is up to you. I probably can live without it.
This is almost exactly what I ordered 3 months ago...although its been so long, I've almost forgotten... My main driver for going M+ was the wheels...I'm a big fan of the 20x5 double spoke matte which are not an option on the Inscription (sigh). I was going to go R-Design but heated steering was a must not available when i ordered...Good news is that I'm now at 'factory built' status and expect delivery in the next 2-3 weeks...I hope.....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm surprised there wasn't more mention about the grill. I've ordered the T8 so there's really not much of an option here. My personal feeling is the higher end package grills don't look as good as the lower end ones ...

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for all the input in this forum and thread. I'm going to be a first time Volvo owner, and just put the deposit for my XC90.

After spending hours at the dealer who kindly let me go back and forth between the Momentum and Inscription, I am still in a bit of a quandary.

For the driver position, the moment I sat on the napa leather, along with side bolster and cushion extender, I was "home." It was so comfy I have no doubt I can last hours without issues on that seat. This will be our primary vacation car, and I will likely be the primary driver. So

As a passenger, comfort between the napa and regular seat was 50:50, which I thought was a bit strange initially. But I find that when I try to nap as a passenger, I lean in such a way, that I feel just as comfortable with the Momentum :). Also, I was planning on getting the blond with charcoal. I find that the perforated napa doesn't look as good on the blond, compared to charcoal.

I seriously was trying to just stick with Momentum +, and convenience package to save some money. However, the suppleness of the leather really gets me, and the leather dash is just so beautiful, and comfortable to touch. The seat with the side bolster and cushion extender was just money! If I were to get the Inscription, I would probably add the Vision, and B&W as well, which then adds the whole price by 9,000 or so.

What do you guys think? I value your input.

Thanks,

Josh
You can also get the Contour seats .. nappa leather and same adjustments. Just no ventilation... cost $1400

·
Registered
159 Posts
Eriedsydane

Had same dilemma. Had inscription as initial choice.
Went for momentum on 20in as inscription has too much chrome outside for my liking. Probably OK in lighter colours but in ember black which imop the car looks best in it's too blingy. Especially front grill - black front grill on momentum is much better.
just because of that I was going to go with momentum and spec up anything I wanted back up to inscription
I found leather dash and door tops cheap and crudely executed and because they don't remove all the plastic you get that extra texture in the car which is too much for me. It's very personal - most people love it. I loved the idea before I came but sitting there I liked the plastic better.
Didn't like perforated leather but did want leather that lasts and is more child friendly.
Really didn't like wheels on uk inscription. Momentum was the only way to get techno black which goes better with dark colours.
I specced the passenger memory but I wish I specced contour seats as the car rolls a lot and I think that would be more comfortable. Also got illumination pack.
Momentum leather is plenty soft for me and is less maintenance in long run.
I don't know if inscription has leather on the back of seats but momentum has plastic which is a bit stingy but is more child friendly. Even so I had to get Volvo kick guard after first week which blends well.
Was no contest in the end here even though I was originally set on inscription.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Went for momentum on 20in as inscription has too much chrome outside for my liking. Probably OK in lighter colours but in ember black which imop the car looks best in it's too blingy. Especially front grill - black front grill on momentum is much better.
just because of that I was going to go with momentum and spec up anything I wanted back up to inscription
I found leather dash and door tops cheap and crudely executed and because they don't remove all the plastic you get that extra texture in the car which is too much for me. It's very personal - most people love it. I loved the idea before I came but sitting there I liked the plastic better.
Didn't like perforated leather but did want leather that lasts and is more child friendly.
Really didn't like wheels on uk inscription. Momentum was the only way to get techno black which goes better with dark colours.
I specced the passenger memory but I wish I specced contour seats as the car rolls a lot and I think that would be more comfortable. Also got illumination pack.
I don't know if inscription has leather on the back of seats but momentum has plastic which is a bit stingy but is more child friendly. Even so I had to get Volvo kick guard after first week which blends well.
But I LIKE "blingy.":D

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
+1 for less chrome on the exterior....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts