SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this super nice 2007 2.5T FWD wagon (see post below http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?270105-Bought-a-real-nice-one-today for a picture)
A VERY nice Volvo from the South, so no rust underneath at all.
It doesn't have as much equipment as my XC70, (no heated seats, no rain sensor and no convenience package, so no rear park or tinted glass. No IAQS and no Homelink.
I can tint the glass, add a used Homelink visor and install heated seats and I don't care about IAQS one way or the other, it's just some money needed to be spent.
It has 13K less miles so that's a plus.
Suspension is mostly all original which is to say it's about due for a rebuild soon like I did on the XC.

Do I sell my near perfect white 07 XC70 and keep this?
When done it will be quicker, should handle a ton better (the big plus in all this) thus be more fun to drive.
I really do not need AWD. I rarely go out in the snow anymore plus we have the R if that becomes necessary.

I will have to add a bit of money to get it where I want it, (ipd bars, 17" wheels and tires and the above said heated seats) so even with the sale of the XC I estimate to need another 2K or so, ($2700 if I choose to add a Polestar tune).

So not sure right now which way to go, but whatever I choose to do I need to choose soon or just put the FWD up for sale in a week or so before I start to spend money on it I won't get back.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Tough one. In your case, I'd say sell the XC and build this one up since you already have an AWD option in your 00 V70R.

I'm keeping my eye out for a P2 V70 T5 and they are super rare ... only up to 2003, if I'm not mistaken. So I've started to consider a 2.5T ... and maybe ARD tuning it. Don't want a 2.5T AWD, got one and couldn't stand the high rear end, flipped it within 3 months. I'm waiting patiently for an 05-07 white 2.5T FWD V70.

Oh ... does your 07 2.5T have hideous looking wheels/rims like this ?? They are so ugly that I wouldn't even use them for snows!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T5s went through 2005 and I think a handful of 2006s
The 05s are unicorns, VERY few sold as everyone just bought a V70R They have a detuned 2.5T R engine, 260 HP IIRC and if you were lucky enough to find a manual, a 6 speed M66 manual, not the old M59.
Almost an R without AWD, one intercooler and I think a slightly smaller turbo.
I bought and sold an 05 T5 6 speed sedan a few years back, it had a very nice drivetrain.

As for the wheels, look at the ppicture

·
Registered
358 Posts
We have the 05 VR GT from you (still very nice) and our daughter has an 04 2.5T.
I havent driven an XC but I can say her 2.5T does fine in snow around here - just as well or better than the R. Might be the extra ground clearance.
The XC has even more ground clearance and that is important in deep snow, even in just poorly plowed intersections (ride up on the snow, unload a single front wheel and it spins - and you're stuck) but how often does that happen in Devon Pa?
My vote is to keep a couple extra cans of soup in the house and sell the XC. Enjoy the better handling and the better gas mileage of the FWD wagon.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, I think I'm 99% sure that I'm going to drive the FWD.
I have a woman who is going to look at my XC over the weekend. She crashed her 2005 and wants another P2 XC specifically a 2007.
Oddly white is not her favorite XC color but condition is her number one priority and no one can match anything that I was using as a driver as it's PERFECT.

I've pretty much did everything necessary to the 2.5T and it too is about ready for sale:
I refinished the headlights and even the fog lenses, got every single ding and dent out of her.
If and when the XC is gone, I'll add heated seats, tint the windows, activate the already installed factory Sirius and install a rear spoiler that's now being panted white. I have an R shift knob that I'll install and the Subwoofer which is coming out of the XC ...(NO ONE gets that)... will go in soon

In the Spring I'll replace the LCA's, probably find an interesting set of 17" wheels and try out the NEW Conti DWS6.
If I have any money left over, ipd or V70R sway bars, new struts/spring seats, a Polestar tune and maybe an EST exhaust when Frank has his Spring sale.

(Maybe paint the roof rails white to match just like the OLD V90s used to be, I always liked that look)! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same as the last three 2.5Ts I did

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
(Maybe paint the roof rails white to match just like the OLD V90s used to be, I always liked that look)! :rolleyes:
...and blacking out the front grill and painting the chromed trim pieces under the headlight, but honestly it looks like a great ride regardless, :thumbup: on the decision. I'm jealous of anyone who can own a white car as it would drive me nuts!

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you have truly maintained the XC as you say you have I would keep it. I have maintained my S60 and am at 194k. I would never take someone else's over mine as I know the history from day one. I view cars as something I don't want replace, like a refrigerator! So I can't view it from the emotional side. They are not hard to work on yourself so probably just keep the one you just plain like better, especially if the money doesn't bother you. I'm probably just too old for change :)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a semi-retired dealer, most here know this
I don't get emotional on my daily driver except that each one is 110% mechanically and cosmetically perfect all the time.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's the going rate for a "perfect" 2007 XC70? (If you don't mind my asking)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine?
Oh I guess I would take high 10Ks or thereabouts.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
This isn't a sale thread for his XC and I didn't want to put him (or anyone) on the spot for a price if he wasn't looking to give one (he'd not provided one, after all). I'm really asking because I'm working out a deal for a similar condition 07 and wanted to get a sense of value.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
There is a FOR SALE thread in the classifieds. Why don't you look at what I've done before pricing something you have found THEN compare.
My cars are very fair for the work that has been done, they're all like new.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showt...one-be-interested-in-my-110-PERFECT-2007-XC70
I have no doubt about the condition of your vehicle(s) and was asking purely to satisfy my curiosity. I asked because I know you are experienced in dealing them and your information can serve as a point of reference.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Looks like you made up your mind already. That's a really nice XC. Tough decision. Deleting the AWD will certainly save money over time and the 2.5T will be more fun to drive. The XC is one heck of a comfortable highway car though. Depends on what floats your boat. I just keep adding more cars.... but there is a completely logical story behind every one.

·
Registered
701 Posts
When done it will be quicker, should handle a ton better (the big plus in all this) thus be more fun to drive.
I really do not need AWD. I rarely go out in the snow anymore plus we have the R if that becomes necessary.
JRL:

In my opinion with the points you've made above, that would pretty much answer the question for me in favour of the V70.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
T5s went through 2005 and I think a handful of 2006s
The 05s are unicorns, VERY few sold as everyone just bought a V70R They have a detuned 2.5T R engine, 260 HP IIRC and if you were lucky enough to find a manual, a 6 speed M66 manual, not the old M59.
Almost an R without AWD, one intercooler and I think a slightly smaller turbo.
I bought and sold an 05 T5 6 speed sedan a few years back, it had a very nice drivetrain.

As for the wheels, look at the ppicture
Actually the 2005 V70 T5 had a 2.4L motor and the K24 turbo like the R. It was rated at 257HP. I have the same motor in our 2005 S60 T5 that my daughter now drives. When I jump from my S80 2.5T into the S60 the difference is very noticeable ... it's a quick engine that pulls like a freight train with a propensity for torque steer in the right hookup.

I looked for a *nice* 2005 V70 T5 over the last 18 months but couldn't find it. Since my CU only loans back 10 years a 2005 car is out of reach now, so it's a '06-'07 V70 2.5T if I go that route.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts