SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, hope you are well!

For the past few months I've been getting a clanking or metal knocking noise from my front end while turning AND braking at the same time. This doesn't happen so much while just turning the wheel in park to listen for the sound, in fact, I've been braking before turning the best I can now just so I don't have to listen to the noise. Whatever it is, the force of braking on the turning action creates the noise.

So here's what's happened since ...

Last week, I took the car to Volvo and they diagnosed it as both upper strut bearings needing to be replaced - about a $550 job, and after alignment, about $600-$700. I really believed the noise was coming from the calipers or at least lower in the suspension and not at the top of the struts, so, I took it to my local Volvo/BMW shop for them to look at it and they agreed, after turning the wheel left/right 10 degrees quickly for about 15mins, that the sound wasn't coming from the upper strut bearings, but lower in the suspension .. so, aha!

We couldn't find anything loose with the calipers/pads/rotors but we noticed that you could feel a very slight thud on the tire, rotors, strut, inner tie rod, basically anywhere on the lower suspension (on both front wheels) that you'd put your hand while one of the techs was moving the wheel back and forth. So now, my friend that owns the Volvo shop, the other techs and myself are fairly convinced that the problem or noise is coming from the steering rack. Also, what really convinced us was that while holding both the left and right inner tie rods at the same time, you could feel the popping or thud when the wheel was being turned.

So, I guess my main question is, do any of you have any experience with the P3's rack and pinion system going bad? I know it wouldn't be a cheap fix if we are indeed correct about what the problem may be, but is there a chance we missed something else? Everything looked totally normal and tight under the car.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Please, please, PLEASE keep us posted on what the issue turns out to be! I have the exact same problem with my 2015 S60 RD and it is getting so very annoying. I initially thought brakes, but the sound does seem to be coming from higher up in the bay, and it's both sides. Last time I was at the dealer I mentioned it (again) and the tech checked the brakes, but saw nothing amiss. He also couldn't replicate it, but it has since gotten worse. I am under CPO, so I don't care if they throw parts at it, but it would be nice to have a somewhat definitive direction to point them in. I also wondered about the rack, but most people on here tend to think strut bearings.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Please, please, PLEASE keep us posted on what the issue turns out to be! I have the exact same problem with my 2015 S60 RD and it is getting so very annoying. I initially thought brakes, but the sound does seem to be coming from higher up in the bay, and it's both sides. Last time I was at the dealer I mentioned it (again) and the tech checked the brakes, but saw nothing amiss. He also couldn't replicate it, but it has since gotten worse. I am under CPO, so I don't care if they throw parts at it, but it would be nice to have a somewhat definitive direction to point them in. I also wondered about the rack, but most people on here tend to think strut bearings.
I have a similar noise when turning. You must turn close to full on either side, but it’s more of a clicking noise. I have had Volvo replace the axel and hub on 1 side but still has not corrected, it is still at Volvo trying to fix. It is all covered under my extended warranty so far. But still no fix. Will keep u posted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Look to lower ball joints or wheel bearings.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I got it and self diagnosed the issue. You need part 1 2 3 &7 here
the part 1 and 2 were gripped (never saw that before)
part 3 & 7 needed to be changed when you remove the spring
Since that, no more issue but I am kind of worried since it happens only after 24k miles

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've got exactly the same issue with the wife's 2012 XC90. No one can tell me what the hell it is. There's even been talk of sub frame mounts.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have you inspected your CV joints/boots for damage or wear?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got exactly the same issue with the wife's 2012 XC90. No one can tell me what the hell it is. There's even been talk of sub frame mounts.
How are you living with the problem? Like I said, I brake, then turn the car just so I don't have to hear it. The noise sounds horrible and it's almost like it's dependent on how long I drive the car / how hot it is.

I've been giving it some basic thought over the past few days in regards to what can be creating the noise and what forces are acting on all the possible culprits.

Upper Strut Mount Bearing: The Volvo/BMW shop used a stethoscope on all different areas of the car and there wasn't any noise coming from the upper strut bearings, instead the most was down low on the rotors / lower axle area of the suspension. Also, to me it seems like I would be hearing the same noise without applying the braking load/force on the front wheels for the upper strut mount bearings to be considered to be the problem.

Calipers: I'm a little more skeptical about the calipers and just the front brakes in general. About 4k miles ago, I had new rotors and pads installed on all 4. Maybe they're just poorly made aftermarket parts or the calipers themselves aren't working well with the new setup. But, why am I not hearing the noise when I just have the wheel straight and go to slow the car down? So maybe not the calipers.

CV joints, inner/outer tie rods, etc.: Everything looked and felt fine while inspecting the undercarriage. As I said before though, holding on to both the left wheel and right wheel inner tie rods at the same time while someone would shimmy the wheel left and right gave off a slight popping or thud sensation felt through the tie rods and both front wheels ... hence leading to the assumption of it being the steering rack.

Whatever the problem may be, it stems from something wrong when a braking force is applied to the parts that help turn the vehicle left or right. So, a steering rack ... How can a noise be made only when the car is in a braking motion/force/load while also turning the wheels left or right, but no noise at all when no braking action or force is being acted upon the front wheels? This makes zero sense to me. Can the rack and pinion system really have so much play that even braking produces this noise?

So, I'm still unsure about it all, but it's good to know some people are also experiencing the same thing as me.

Will update with new noises / developments as they come along because I guess right now all I can do is let it get a little worse so it's easier to determine the problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See, strut bearings seem like a fix and could be the fix ... but both the dealership and my friend's Volvo shop want $500 dollars ... that might not even fix the problem :(

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
See, strut bearings seem like a fix and could be the fix ... but both the dealership and my friend's Volvo shop want $500 dollars ... that might not even fix the problem :(
Not sure how long you plan to live with it, but I will get it corrected sometime soon(ish) since I have CPO still. I'd rather do it closer to the end of my warranty to get the most life out of whatever is replaced since it has been an issue since maybe 30k.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My strut mount bearings are also shot. It's a very annoying clickety clack only audible at low speed when parallel parking or pulling into the driveway or making low speed turns. Mine is definitely strut mount bearings but my mechanic said it is not a safety issue and wait to replace struts and do then. Still sucks to live with so I agree. Been over 2 years for me. Sound has not gotten progressively worse so I have just lived with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My strut mount bearings are also shot. It's a very annoying clickety clack only audible at low speed when parallel parking or pulling into the driveway or making low speed turns. Mine is definitely strut mount bearings but my mechanic said it is not a safety issue and wait to replace struts and do then. Still sucks to live with so I agree. Been over 2 years for me. Sound has not gotten progressively worse so I have just lived with it.
Happens all the time? Not only when also braking?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Only audible when making very slight turns at low speed, not when braking on a straight-away stop, but yes if braking and turning at low speed in the 5 to 10 mph range. Not audible at higher speeds, suspension is still stiff, no hopping, no strange noises when on the highway very smooth and still.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only audible when making very slight turns at low speed, not when braking on a straight-away stop, but yes if braking and turning at low speed in the 5 to 10 mph range. Not audible at higher speeds, suspension is still stiff, no hopping, no strange noises when on the highway very smooth and still.
Describes my problem a little too I think

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it were me I'd take apart the front brakes again, it seems like more than a coincidence that just 4k miles ago you did a brake job and now you are getting noise that only occurs when braking. I've had some pretty nasty noises come from the front of cars due to something like a stuck caliper pin.

Regardless of whether your issue ends up being brake related, I'll say the front suspension of these cars is very frustrating. I'm on my third set of strut mounts/bushings, I've had the front wheel bearings replaced, the lower control arms/ball-joints replaced. I still have a slight clunk from the front passenger side when hitting certain bumps. I still get a slight creaking noise from the front when returning the wheel in a parking spot. Just living with it for now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it were me I'd take apart the front brakes again, it seems like more than a coincidence that just 4k miles ago you did a brake job and now you are getting noise that only occurs when braking. I've had some pretty nasty noises come from the front of cars due to something like a stuck caliper pin.

Regardless of whether your issue ends up being brake related, I'll say the front suspension of these cars is very frustrating. I'm on my third set of strut mounts/bushings, I've had the front wheel bearings replaced, the lower control arms/ball-joints replaced. I still have a slight clunk from the front passenger side when hitting certain bumps. I still get a slight creaking noise from the front when returning the wheel in a parking spot. Just living with it for now.

Taking apart the brakes sounds like a good idea to me too. We just looked around behind the rotors where it sounded like the noise could be coming from, but never looked at the internals of the calipers. In fact, replacing with new calipers on either side would be the best case scenario in my mind because it would be a straight forward answer to a not so easy to figure out noise / problem.

I've taken my car to my friend's shop probably 3 or 4 times now just for suspension noises. It's SUPER frustrating. Every time, and at Volvo too, I'm told that the can't be found but I'm assured everything about the car is safe and nothing from the noise will cause something catastrophic on the road. Which is what I'm doing now, just saving some money because the car is safe to drive, I just have to live with the noise.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting thread. My '17 S60 has around 6k miles and started doing something similar recently. I may wait until 10k to get it addressed. My former '02 S60 did something like this around 60K miles (?)- turned out to be ball joints.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am chocking myself right now... the strut bearing cost peanuts but I agree it takes some time to do it correctly.
Like Veefifty T5AWD mentioned, if you are under warranty/CPO, I will asked them to it. Other than this, I will fix it myself and I highly recommend to do it. (you will need a second car the time you work on yours)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am chocking myself right now... the strut bearing cost peanuts but I agree it takes some time to do it correctly.
Like Veefifty T5AWD mentioned, if you are under warranty/CPO, I will asked them to it. Other than this, I will fix it myself and I highly recommend to do it. (you will need a second car the time you work on yours)
My noise was the wheel hub assembly, it was a clacking noise, which is now gone.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My noise was the wheel hub assembly, it was a clacking noise, which is now gone.

wow that cost a lot to change o_O

1 - 20 of 27 Posts