SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (Johnnylaws60r)

Idiots. Longer car? Expand product offering by nixxing the S60? Is Ford driving these changes? The same Ford that is doing massive layoffs due to poor decision making about what consumers want to buy? I'm boggled. We don't want S80's or we would have bought S80's. The S60 is just right for me, after looking at the S40, S60, and S80. Might have to start looking elsewhere if Ford follows through.

I'd rather see them fix the S60's problems, such as the horrible turn radius.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (vLGrok)

Man, that sounds like nothing more than pure, unadulterated and uninformed speculation. I see nothing in there that would indicate that AutoWeek knows anything that's going on and they're just "guessing" about this based on the fact that the S80 didn't get much bigger.

Having said that, who knows whether they're right or wrong. I can't see that they're right....in order to drop the S60 in favor of the S80 and make the projected sales they're looking for, they need the S60 line to sell. The S40, S80, C30 and C70 just aren't going to cut it. So that would mean that you'd have to have a car above the S80. Since Volvo is marketing the S80 as their "flagship", I doubt that that's the case.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Personally I doubt it. The S60 is a bread & butter car for Volvo in Europe and North America.

·
Registered
14,153 Posts

Volvo's models have never quite lined up with the competition, something I have frankly always liked about Volvo. BMW, Audi, Benz, Lexus, etc. are all pretty predictable. I think whether this is done or not will depend on a lot of factors, not the least of which is sales of the S40.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

Talk was about dropping the S40, not the S60.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (Johann)

If they keep the S40 and make it larger, you will basically have a car the same size as the current S60. So much can happen by 2010 it dosen't really make a difference what they say right now. Just something to talk about.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (frankhoffy)

Quote, originally posted by frankhoffy »
I think it is highly unlikely.

Look at what I found (I even translated it from German to English for you):

http://translate.google.com/tr...tools

Yeah, but did you see what comes 8 pictures later in that same post?

Perhaps a v80 to replace the 70?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (pktojd)

Quote, originally posted by pktojd »

Yeah, but did you see what comes 8 pictures later in that same post?

Perhaps a v80 to replace the 70?

... don't know if I love it or hate it ... looks like Chrysler and Audi made a baby

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (I Roll)

Quote, originally posted by I Roll »
If they keep the S40 and make it larger, you will basically have a car the same size as the current S60. So much can happen by 2010 it dosen't really make a difference what they say right now. Just something to talk about.
If that is the case, I feel sorry for volvo.
If the s40 size car is gone, Volvo North America will return to 1999 where no compact and affordable Volvo available. Although I'm not a big fan of the last gen S40, I still think it was a great car for people who wanted to try a European car or a Volvo. Hopefully, Volvo will keep the formats just like now in 2010... Compact, mid-size, and large in the line up.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (Pedestrian_A)

Quote, originally posted by Pedestrian_A »
If that is the case, I feel sorry for volvo.
If the s40 size car is gone, Volvo North America will return to 1999 where no compact and affordable Volvo available. Although I'm not a big fan of the last gen S40, I still think it was a great car for people who wanted to try a European car or a Volvo. Hopefully, Volvo will keep the formats just like now in 2010... Compact, mid-size, and large in the line up.

C30 is the new S40
S40 is the new S60
S80 is the same

This is no different from any other manufacturer - they all keep on making their models bigger all the time, and occasionally add a new small model.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (e1618978)

Quote, originally posted by e1618978 »
C30 is the new S40
S40 is the new S60
S80 is the same

This is no different from any other manufacturer - they all keep on making their models bigger all the time, and occasionally add a new small model.
I know what you mean but C30 is a 3 door hatchback, that's can't be compare to a 4 door seden...

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (Pedestrian_A)

Quote, originally posted by Pedestrian_A »

I know what you mean but C30 is a 3 door hatchback, that's can't be compare to a 4 door seden...

And few "premium" brands have been successful with a 3 door hatchback. It is not a mass market vehicle as BMW and Mercedes can attest to.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (pktojd)

It does look alot like the Dodge Magnum / 300c Touring in looks

Sloping roof line

Fender flare

Tall front grill

High door line

One thing i know for sure is if Volvo builds that wagon, the interior will be much much better then the Dodge / Chrysler

Modified by hewinutah at 1:48 PM 3-14-2006

Modified by hewinutah at 1:56 PM 3-14-2006

Modified by hewinutah at 1:59 PM 3-14-2006

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »
So that would mean that you'd have to have a car above the S80. Since Volvo is marketing the S80 as their "flagship", I doubt that that's the case.
The "NEW" S80L, 5" longer, due in 2009!
(Just kidding,
but maybe not, who knows)

·
Registered
206 Posts

Ford did with the Torus SHO. It was a great car but then they went to a V-8 automatic that killed it. It may have been that to 95% of the public it was a Torus so why spend the extra money? That may be the problem Volvo is having with the R but, then again, Volvo Rs have been around for a long time. When Ford killed the SHO I bought a Volvo S70 T5. If Volvo gives up on the R without something like it in its place, where am I going to go, BMW? I hope not.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (Wayne T5)

Quote, originally posted by Wayne T5 »
Volvo's models have never quite lined up with the competition...

I agree. I'm not sure who the S40's real competition is, and while the S60 always appeared to be a bit more of a car than the 3 series (and its competition - although interior dimensions weren't off much), the aging S80 never matched up with the 5 series (and its competition) always falling below in cost (if not content).

I don't have a problem with it, but maybe that's why we don't see Volvos in many magazine comparos? And, maybe the public has a perception issue when it comes to cross shopping them against the competition - kind of an "is it more of a car for less or less of a car for more" question? No bold statements of fact here...just random thoughts of babble.

-Eric

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
Re: Death of the S60 AND R (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »

I'm not sure who the S40's real competition is...

Really. I have seen the tests where the S40 T5 is compared with the A4 2.0T but not too much about the 2.4i. Is that one aimed at the Passat or the Jetta?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts